Seasons Greetings to all forum members

Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traction Control - Does it cut power?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
    Putting car into high or low range locked centre diff modes should disable engine control, at least according to this.
    Yeah that was my understanding but no idea on older cars, leave that one to the experienced

    I would have agreed with you, but cannot know?
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by rgrubby View Post

      I have a factory rear locker and traction control re-enable mod. I notice that with the rear diff locked and the traction control enabled, it still tries to brake the rear wheels (assuming the flashing wheel light means it is being braked. I have noticed both rear wheels flashing together, and single rear wheels flashing in this state going up slippery tracks.
      I can understand why it might try to brake both rear wheels if one front wheel isn't turning, but I haven't got my head around why it brakes a single rear wheel when the rear locker is on.
      I have air lockers front and rear, and I can still get TC flashing individual lights at times (when fully locked).

      Speculating: perhaps the TC system polls the wheel speed sequentially i.e. one wheel at a time, in sequence, and decides a wheel is spinning if there has been too much increase in speed between reads. If all four wheels spin briefly, the system might only detect the spin while reading one wheel, and conclude that only that wheel was spinning - despite the fact that all wheels are spinning at the same speed.

      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

      Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

      Scorpro Explorer Box

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by nj swb View Post

        I have air lockers front and rear, and I can still get TC flashing individual lights at times (when fully locked).

        Speculating: perhaps the TC system polls the wheel speed sequentially i.e. one wheel at a time, in sequence, and decides a wheel is spinning if there has been too much increase in speed between reads. If all four wheels spin briefly, the system might only detect the spin while reading one wheel, and conclude that only that wheel was spinning - despite the fact that all wheels are spinning at the same speed.

        This does not surprise me.
        The TC system will be looking at both the wheel speeds and steering angle, so if the steering is not straight a ahead, and the TC ECU does not know the front, rear diffs and centre diffs are locked then the TC ECU will be expecting to see different wheel speed as the "vehicle turns the corner" because of the steering angle sensor input.

        OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by vladguan View Post
          The ASTC ECU (active stability and traction control) controls the behaviour and it sends a signal to the engine ECU to cut power. It has four wires connected to the engine ECU. I guess you could permanently cut those wires but the Engine ECU may go into limp mode.

          As for shipping my loom overseas. I have sent it to US, NZ, Middle East, Israel, Norway, Sweden and Italy. Postage costs from $35 to $45 depending on location. Postage cost can be shared with two units (Australia post has same cost under 500g so two looms ships for the same cost). Are you on the Full Pajero Experience FB group?
          Oh ok, is there a way to find out which wires are these? I have a friend who got rid of the ASTC ECU, so maybe I could ask him if he ran into any problems with the engine ECU.

          Also, I'm not on the group just yet because I can't answer those questions I have no idea what series the Pajeros are cause that's just not something we say around here

          Comment


          • #20
            Ok, I had a look at the service manual across different years and found they changed the function of the engine control in 4HLc a few times.
            The engine control is always disabled in 4LLc according to this manual

            Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 EUR.png
Views:	84
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1096623
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 EUR.png
Views:	76
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1096624
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 GE.png
Views:	77
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1096625
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 EUR.png
Views:	79
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1096626
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 EUR.png
Views:	82
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1096627
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 EUR.png
Views:	79
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1096628
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 EUR.png
Views:	86
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1096629
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 EUR.png
Views:	87
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1096630
            2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

            Comment


            • #21
              Well that is an interesting discovery!
              It seems that the differences are related to the years and the market spec.

              One is constant and I didn't know this, is that by selecting ASC OFF disables the engine power reduction function of the ASTC system.

              Years ago I worked out a wiring mod for a forum member that had trouble remembering to select ASC OFF every time he restarted the engine on his PB Challenger when offroad.
              From memory it was a single bridge wire across between 2 terminal on the back of a plug.
              I used the centre diff engaged switch to automatically switch OFF the ASC so no ASC function in 4Hlc or 4Llc. ASC function remained ON in 4H as I considered this to be a safety issue bypassing ASC as 4H is used at high speed.

              The ASC switch is attached on the instrument panel to the right side of the driver’s seat. Press this switch to turn ON/OFF the ATC and ASC functions.
              When the ignition switch is turned from the "LOCK" (OFF) to ON position, the ATC and ASC functions are constantly in the ON state.

              From the PB Challenger Manual, you can see the ASTC system is much simpler than the Gen 4 Pajero.

              ASC SWITCH OPERATION AND SYSTEM OPERATION
              ASC switch control ATC ASC
              Brake control Engine control Brake control Engine control
              ON (ASTC OFF indicator: OFF) Enabled Enabled Enabled Enabled
              OFF (ASTC OFF indicator: ON) Enabled Prohibited Prohibited Prohibited
              note
              • The ASC control is available when the vehicle speed is 15 km/h or more.
              • The ASC switch cannot be operated when the vehicle speed is 40 km/h or more.
              • Automatically the operation of ASC function is started when the vehicle speed is 120 km/h or more.

              OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
                Ok, I had a look at the service manual across different years and found they changed the function of the engine control in 4HLc a few times.
                The engine control is always disabled in 4LLc according to this manual

                Click image for larger version  Name:	2007 EUR.png Views:	25 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	1096623
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2008 EUR.png Views:	25 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	1096624
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2008 GE.png Views:	24 Size:	121.1 KB ID:	1096625
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2009 EUR.png Views:	24 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	1096626
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2010 EUR.png Views:	24 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	1096627
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2011 EUR.png Views:	24 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	1096628
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2012 EUR.png Views:	25 Size:	121.4 KB ID:	1096629
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2013 EUR.png Views:	25 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	1096630
                Thanks a lot! I'm still not quite sure though. Well, I will try pulling out the abs fuse to see if I get the result I want
                Last edited by Guilherme; 1 week ago.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Guilherme View Post

                  Oh ok, is there a way to find out which wires are these? I have a friend who got rid of the ASTC ECU, so maybe I could ask him if he ran into any problems with the engine ECU.

                  Also, I'm not on the group just yet because I can't answer those questions I have no idea what series the Pajeros are cause that's just not something we say around here
                  The answers to my FB groups are: NS to NX for gen 4 and NM to NP for gen 3.

                  As for which wires, there is actually just two. I miss read the diagram. The pins are #83 and #84 of the right-most plug of the ASTC ECU (the one that my loom replaces). That plug has three rows of pins, two rows of 6 and a row of 5 and pins 83 and 84 are the two that are together in the row of 5 pins.
                  Please call me Vlad.
                  -----------------------
                  MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    Well that is an interesting discovery!
                    It seems that the differences are related to the years and the market spec.

                    One is constant and I didn't know this, is that by selecting ASC OFF disables the engine power reduction function of the ASTC system.

                    Years ago I worked out a wiring mod for a forum member that had trouble remembering to select ASC OFF every time he restarted the engine on his PB Challenger when offroad.
                    From memory it was a single bridge wire across between 2 terminal on the back of a plug.
                    I used the centre diff engaged switch to automatically switch OFF the ASC so no ASC function in 4Hlc or 4Llc. ASC function remained ON in 4H as I considered this to be a safety issue bypassing ASC as 4H is used at high speed
                    OJ.
                    OJ, in the second row of the Challenger table, is the text (brake control, engine control) supposed to be shifted one cell to the right?

                    Regarding the ASC off modification, I added a diode in the link to the locked centre switch. This allows the locked centre switch to kill the ASC but it prevents the ASC switch from activating unknown/unwanted features associated with the locked centre of the transfer case.
                    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by vladguan View Post

                      The answers to my FB groups are: NS to NX for gen 4 and NM to NP for gen 3.

                      As for which wires, there is actually just two. I miss read the diagram. The pins are #83 and #84 of the right-most plug of the ASTC ECU (the one that my loom replaces). That plug has three rows of pins, two rows of 6 and a row of 5 and pins 83 and 84 are the two that are together in the row of 5 pins.
                      Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help
                      I have to say, the Pajero community in Australia is enviable

                      I will keep you all updated, cheers

                      Comment


                      • #27
                        Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                        Just accepted you in my group. Have a read of the announcement post. Also, are you on the south American pajero experience FB group?
                        I am not, is there a link to it?

                        Comment

                        Matched content

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X