NS Hydrophilic External Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Hydrophilic External Mirrors

The owner's manual states that the door mirrors have a hydophilic coating - it causes water droplets to spread out to improve visibility in the rain.

I was disappointed because they were actually no different to the previous Pajero mirrors and the water beaded on them just like any other exterior glass surface. It always beaded in patches in the same place and if you exhaled on the dry glass, you would see the same pattern. I assume this is due to wax that is sprayed on to protect it during delivery, that hasn't been removed.

I can just imagine the response from the Service Dept, if I put in a warranty claim saying my hydrophilic mirrors aren't working !

The manual warns that you must use nothing stronger than neutral detergent, which had no effect, so I experimented on the windows that have the same blotchiness when wet. I tried metho, shellite and thinners with absolutely no effect. I haven't yet tried the other suggestions made in another thread.

But I found that a Microfibre cloth works really well with no chemicals to remove soap film in the shower, and in two years it's done no harm to the fibreglass bathtub.

So I tried it on a small part of the mirror and tested it with a spray bottle of water - great - the visibility is now much better because the mirror surface stays wet, rather than being covered in droplets.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

The rain in Sydney has given me a good opportunity to test the visibility through the mirrors even more.

I found that by rubbing dish-washing detergent on the mirrors and the front windows, you can have greatly improved visibility in light rain, because no drops form.

If you've used Rainex, the detergent doesn't work to prevent droplets obscuring visibility.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
      I can just imagine the response from the Service Dept, if I put in a warranty claim saying my hydrophilic mirrors aren't working
      go on mike, it would be quite entertaining...
      "sir we are waiting on a software upgrade for your hydrophilic mirrors" that should fix it , "the book does not say you can use detergent, you may void your gearbox warranty" lol
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X