Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NS Diesel Fuel Economy (Auto and Manual)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Diesel Fuel Economy (Auto and Manual)

I typically get 10 and sub 10 L/100km out of mine with every trip containing everything from 50kmh-100kmh and generally at least 70km. The only time it goes above 10.6 is at the start of a trip when it's cold or at 110kmh and it sit on about 11.2 L/100km. Far better than the 13-14L that I anticipated before buying it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eastie; 11-11-07, 07:58 PM.
    NS oil burner shorty

The best overall figure that I have had is 10.6 (at the pump) but usually get about 11/11.2 .I thought that it would be a lot better than that by now but maybe too many short trips are the reason for the poorer economy than other owners seem to be getting. I have recently noticed that the on sceen auto/mode has got better since my first oil change to Valvoline but I have only done 400km or so with this oil so far ,previously the screen indicated 12.2 and now sits on about 11.5 . Overall compared to some of my friends that own NP models ,the economy of my NS DID appears to be a lot worse ,rip the damn DPF out would no doubt go a long way in helping.
    2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Wtf

How are you guys getting figures of around 10-11, I got that on a trip traveling on the highway. Most of the time I'm ticking at 14-15.

Most of my stuff is suburbia, is there a knob under the bonnet to turn that tweaks the fuel consumption back?

I have less than 2000 on the clock still. Is that my problem?

Dan
      Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Comment

Originally posted by danc12 View Post
        How are you guys getting figures of around 10-11, I got that on a trip traveling on the highway. Most of the time I'm ticking at 14-15.

Most of my stuff is suburbia, is there a knob under the bonnet to turn that tweaks the fuel consumption back?

Dan
        I found that the consumption was generally pretty high for a while until you start to clock up a few k's, similar to yours Dan .I also find the display especially in manual mode inaccurate a fair bit and I reset it on a regular basis especially after the engine has warmed up . My driving style includes many short trips around town like yours.
        2007 DID AUTO

Comment

14-15 is more like my v6 petrol

surely you guys are getting better than that with the cost of diesel these days !
          Cheers,
          Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
          1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

Here are the Fuel economy calculations at each tankful - all fills are at the same servo with the car in exactly the same position.

737km - 13.4
            1268km - 13.7
            1856km - 13.0
            2429km - 14.6

The last three tankfuls were all after at least an hour of freeway driving.

The figures were looking good - until the last one - which included the DPF burnoff mentioned in another thread.
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by capemanifold View Post
              . . . . .Overall compared to some of my friends that own NP models ,the economy of my NS DID appears to be a lot worse ,rip the damn DPF out would no doubt go a long way in helping.
              I assume when they did the Fuel Consumption testing, the DPF was brand new with minimal exhaust flow resistance.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

As a comparison, here are my figures per tank full since new (Units in L/100km). Also included is the main type of driving when using that tanks fuel.

534km - 10.63 (city)
                1267km - 10.65 (some country driving here)
                1946km - 10.99 (city)
                2687km - 10.80 (city)
                3411km - 11.25 (city)
                4113km - 10.21 (city)
                .... down to
                5848km - 10.33 (city)
                6474km - 10.98 (Mix country / city - this is when we had 1.5 hours of >30L/100km on graph through soft sand, but caught tail wind on way home with 8.9L/100km - also where engine light came on - yet still had good economy on freeway)

As I also have the Automatic diesel, I would say that Mitsubishi appear pretty accurate with their fuel economy ratings, at least in my situation.
                Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

There are significant differences in consumption. Can these be accounted for by driving style and environment alone? I am curious as I am considering buying an NS Diesel.
                  Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

I think a lot of comes down to how far it is driven. Things like, how much of the journey is done at operating temperature. Looking at the 3 pixel instantaneous bar chart that is updated every few seconds, once the engine is warmed up, it does go through less fuel, but if you only lived, say 8-10 km, from where you normally drove it, I believe you would notice much higher fuel consumption. Also, the car is not light at 2.3+ tonne, so stop start driving will result in far worse fuel efficiency than a 1.3 tonne car doing the same trip, as you are continuously trying to overcome the inertia of a large car from a stationary position, and it will give fuel consumption significantly further away from the official numbers. Thus, absolutely, the fuel economy will vary from one owner to another because of these different factors, but when out in the open where the you are piling on the distance and not stopping much then you should get reasonable fuel economy. I believe the manual states 9.1 L/100km in the country alone, with a combined cycle of 10.6 L/100km. Tail or Head winds will be quite significant, given all of these type of cars (The pajero is not unique here) having the aerodynamics of a brick. But at least it means a tail wind actually helps.
                    Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

Originally posted by danc12 View Post

Dan
                      Dont be alarmed; I am 4500kms and only slightly better off i.e average 13.5 to 14.5l/100Kms in peak hour traffic. I am outstanded by these figures also, I do not drive with a lead foot and the best I have ever got based on the console reading is 11.9 after 8.00 PM when traffic is light. The console reading is only slightly out based on fuel /kilometres driven when I fill up.
                      2007 NS SWB Pajero R DID, Rear Locker, BFG 265/70/17 T/A KO's, Towbar, B&D Bashplates, LRA AUX Fuel Tank, Lovells/Bilstein 50mm lift,
                      Dual Battery, ORS Fridge Pack 1,Fully Dynamatted, Bushskinz Sliders,ARB Deluxe Bar,Safari Snorkel, Chipit module, EGT Kit, DPF Delete, DPF SIM, Winch,Torque Converter Lockup, EGR fully sorted

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100

Comment

I get around 10.8 if I absolutely flog it or if it's stop start on the monash carpark. My figures on the dash correspond pretty well to the litres and kms. I've only ever get over 12L/100km if it's a long haul up hill over hotham or falls creek, or if it's a real short trip where it doesn't warm up. The uphill trip from swifts creek to up past omeo to the bundara that it does a fair bit it averages 10.2 on the way up, and 9.2 on the way back down. For those that know the road from omeo to shannonvale you'll know there's plenty of everrything. Although I tend to drive at the speed limit almost all of the time from what i've noticed the more you go above 1800-1900 revs, the the fuel economy drops off pretty rapidly.

If I was getting the figures that you guys are talking about I would hand the keys back to the dealer and tell them it's theirs till it's fixed.

- typical 70-100kmh
                        - fast acceleration - yes (I prefer to get upto speed quick, rather than slow steady acceleration)
                        - additional weight - normally driver only + arb steel bar + dual battery + 3 steel bash plates underneath, SWB also
                        - tyre type - Cooper ATR on 17" rims
                        - tyre inflation - 39psi once at temp (32 for off-road)
                        - Hilliness of the road - above average
                        - Airconditioning - intermitent use (about 60% of the time it's on)
                        - Windows open - hardly ever
                        - 4H or 2H - 2H 95% of the time
                        - Fuel - BP ultra low sulphur
                        - Oil - valvoline synpower

I've been considering putting a sump pan heater on it to see if this reduces the initial fuel economy but I haven't been able to find a cheap one yet (other than the old home brew heater pad).
                        Last edited by Eastie; 10-11-07, 08:35 PM.
                        NS oil burner shorty

Comment

NS Diesel Fuel Economy (Auto and Manual)

There are quite a few posts about Fuel Economy on the DPF thread, but we should really keep to the topic in a thread, so I've started this one on NS Diesel Fuel Economy.

When comparing Fuel Economy, here are a few factors you need to keep in mind -

- Road speed
                          - Fast acceleration
                          - Additional weight - luggage etc
                          - Tyre type
                          - Tyre inflation
                          - Hilliness of the road
                          - Airconditioning
                          - Windows open
                          - 4H or 2H
                          Last edited by Mike DiD; 10-11-07, 06:39 PM.

Comment

interesting observation, my touareg could display fuel usage per/hour when stationary.. with aircon ON/OFF difference was only 0.1l per hour ! not much at all really. Tell that to the next taxi driver
                            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

I am averaging 10.6 for my VRX Auto after 12000km. Economy has gone up since the ARB bar and dual battery were added at 8500km. I have a 20 minute drive to work and have done a couple of long trips. I notice that the car takes about 10 minutes to warm up, after which the fuel use drops sharply.
                              Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X