Has anyone else had these problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else had these problems?

I'm trying to sort out a couple of ongoing issues with my NS DiD (swb) and am wondering if anyone else has dealt with these issues?

AT Oil Leak
    Auto fluid oil leak at the front end of the auto (just behind the cross member at the rear of the sump guard). It's visible once the rear sheet metal underbody guard is removed. I know one other forum member who's also found this problem. I found this myself, despite it being back to the dealer twice for service since purchase and once for other issues. The dealers response was they will monitor it!

Harsh transmission/drive train knock
    Happens typically when the vehicle is hot and in stop-start traffic. Something in the drive train goes "thud" just after coming to a stop from a slow coast. Slightly audible and can be felt through the floor. Occurs either upon stopping or momentarily after (within 1-2 seconds). Dealers response is they will monitor it! (they've acknowledged experiencing it).

Rear Brake/Indicator Relay
    Located in the rear rhs with the jack. Re-installed twice so far. Has been very noisy since coming loose the first time (the relay box is as noisy as most indicator ticker units are). Quite audible "ticking" from the relay through the cabin when the indicators are on and gives a solitary "TICK" when the brakes go on and when they are released. Is the noise common?

Many thanks.
    NS oil burner shorty

was experiencing the same 'thud' in my SWB diesel about 4 weeks ago. Just as you say, it could be felt through the floor a second or two after stopping. The noise seemed to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. The only time it wasn't happening consistently was if I stopped extremely gently or stopped on a slight uphill grade. I don't think whether the vehicle was warmed up or not made any difference.

About a week later the thud disappeared.

Comment

same thud here.. it was tracked down to the brake booster.. if you are attentive you can feel the thud when on and off the throttle whilst moving in traffic, so not related to coming back to 1st gear etc..

anyway they changed out the booster and it still does it, but not as bad.. scheduled to have another look at next service...
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Here's a different one - when you apply the brakes there is a metal-on-metal creeking for up to two seconds - eeeh -- eeeh --- eeeh --- eeeh. It sounds like one of the rear suspension mounts is loose. It only happens when rolling forwards. When I reported it at the 1500km service they lubricated the suspension ????

When I apply the handbrake while rolling forwards there is a bang --- bang from the rear of the vehicle. There is no noise when rolling backwards and applying the handbrake.
        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

I agree that the 'thud' noise doesn't feel like the gears, as even in manual mode in first gear it will do it so it's not a kickdown problem.
          NS oil burner shorty

Comment

eastie they replicated the thud on the hoist and found it was hydraulic noise from brake system. replacing the booster made my thud lessen but not dissapear..
            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

I was starting to think I was going mad as the service blokes recon they've never seen or heard of it before and I had to drop in three different times before it would do it with them in the vehicle.
              I'm happy to hear that it's not the drive train - big thanks

Mike - I get the opposite. The brakes make noises that would make the hair stand up on the back of a dead dog in reverse.
              Last edited by Eastie; 14-11-07, 07:56 PM.
              NS oil burner shorty

Comment

I have also noticed the break thud, but it only seems to happen first thing in the morning after backing out of the driveway, then doesn't seem to happen for the rest of the day.
                I also get that rear brake/indicator relay click exactly as you described. I've never worried about it though.
                NS 3.2L Diesel Black Shortie
                Nudge Bar, Roof Rack, Piranha Duel Battery System, Uniden UH015sx UHF, Hella Rallye 4000 Lights, LRA Aux Tank, ARB High Output Compressor, BFG Mudies (Occasionally)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                  When I apply the handbrake while rolling forwards there is a bang --- bang from the rear of the vehicle. There is no noise when rolling backwards and applying the handbrake.
                  Later commodores do this as well, as do alot of falcons - something to do with the linings cocking over a little in the drum i believe??? All the same i think its normal...

Comment

I also get that "thud" intermittantly, I thought it was comming from the auto gearbox, like a late change back to 1st gear, haven't reported it the the dealer because its so intermittant I couldn't demonstrate it at the service centre.

Comment

Howdy guys, my shorty is making that 'thudding' noise as well...it went in for the mechanics to have a look at last week but they couldn't find the source of the issue...going back in for 2 days next week to see if they can find it again. They reckon they searched the Mitsu database but said there were no other reported cases of it...will direct them to this thread!
                      Before: 1995 NJ SWB Pajero GLS Petrol - Blue/Silver
                      After: 2007 NS SWB Pajero X Diesel - Black

Comment

Think my SWB is experiencing this intermittent "Thud" also, however mine only appears to do this whilst in the process of completing a DPF re-generation. i.e. occurs after a couple of seconds when you stop at the traffic lights, somtimes the "thud" is stronger and at other times it is barely noticeable.
                        2007 NS SWB Pajero R DID, Rear Locker, BFG 265/70/17 T/A KO's, Towbar, B&D Bashplates, LRA AUX Fuel Tank, Lovells/Bilstein 50mm lift,
                        Dual Battery, ORS Fridge Pack 1,Fully Dynamatted, Bushskinz Sliders,ARB Deluxe Bar,Safari Snorkel, Chipit module, EGT Kit, DPF Delete, DPF SIM, Winch,Torque Converter Lockup, EGR fully sorted

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100

Comment

Eastie - I get a very slight thud as the vehicle is slowing down. To me it feels like brake system.

As for brake relay - it's freaking noisy and annoying as. Gonna mention this to them when it goes in for service.

EDIT: spelling
                          NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

hi again, just got my swb paj back from mechanic - apparently thudding/creaking noise was due to the exhaust not being fitted on/lined up right at the factory. they fixed it under warranty and did not hear the noise again on the drive home.

Comment

just got back from taking the paj for a long drive...and *sigh*...thudding is still there...it is fainter and less audible but still distinctively there...i guess its back to the workshop!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X