Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What combination of Springs and Shocks will give 50mm lift

Hi all,

I'm going to lift my NS LWB soon, but want to work out which kit is going to net 50mm lift, not 80-90mm like some of the reports on the forum (from people with NP's as well as NS's).

It seems that the Bilstein/Lovells setup routinely gives over 3 inches of lift - which is higher than I am comfortable with.

I'm wondering if I went with either of the combinations below whether 50mm would be realised?

Bilstein shocks with Kings Springs

OME Springs and Shocks

King Springs with Standard shocks

OME Springs with Standard shocks

Pedders Springs with Standard shocks (met a guy in the WA Paj club who has this combo and his looked about 50mm - any comments on pedders springs?).

Comments from anyone who has these fitted to a LWB NS/NP would be welcomed.....I'm tossing up whether to replace the shocks right now, as the std ones are ok for the mild 4wding I do and there's no advantage to be gained in shock travel with after market ones Also no big desert trips planned yet....maybe in a couple of years though so I'm not concerned about destroying the std shocks in the middle of nowhere at present.

From my experiences lifting my Jeep Cherokee with the front IFS - the position of the bottom of the spring on the strut influences the overall height of the lift. Does anyone know if the front struts available from different manufacturers have different heights? ie measured from base of strut to the spring collar?

Cheers

Wilmo
    NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

I used Kings on my NM. 2" lift springs gave exactly 2" lift. I still have the standard shocks and plan to replace them with Bilstiens when they die.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Hi John,

do you have a Diesel?

There's a couple of options in Kings springs for the NM/NP/NS Diesel as per below:-

Front Rear
      PAJERO NP LWB DIESEL KCFR-34HD KCRR-35
      PAJERO NM NP LWB EHD KCFR-34HHD KCRR-35HD

The bottom line is the 'Extra Heavy Duty' ones. Both are quoted as 'raised'.

I wonder which ones you have?
      Last edited by Wilmo; 20-11-07, 04:07 PM.
      NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Just for Interest's sake - I got quoted these prices:-

Kings Springs
        Front $177.00 pair
        Rear $222.00 pair

OME Springs
        Front $254.00 pair
        Rear $308.00 pair

Lovells Springs
        Front $185.00 pair
        Rear $185.00 pair

OME shocks/struts
        Front $432.00 pair
        Rear $311.00 pair

Bilstein shocks/struts
        Front $484.00 pair
        Rear $465.00 pair

Koni shocks/struts
        Front $565.00 pair
        Rear $460.00 pair

Fitting ranged from $240 to $440(!) which included 4 wheel alignment

I'm pretty sure that OME source their springs from King, so you're paying for the brand name obviously....I'd be very suprised if King themselves didn't use OME's specs for their own spring if they are manufacturing for them.

I wonder if Koni shocks are worth the price premium - they are adjustable I think though, so maybe?
        Last edited by Wilmo; 20-11-07, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Just remember, the shocks are not going to affect the ride height, only the springs will do that.

I am like you, I dont want to go more than 50mm lift. I think it was Big Col that had King's and they gave hime a 50mm lift.

Also remember that what you have on the vehicle will change it all as well. Someone who get a 70mm lift with no ARB bar might get 60mm lift with a bar. Also drawers in the rear will weigh it down.

But let us know how you go and what you get....then I will follow.
          thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
          1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Hi guys,
            Yes Adam is right, i had a 50mm lift as you can see from my vehicles specs. I asked for a set lift height and as i have a diesel and a steel ARB bullbar, it was explained it would end up approx 35 to 40mm finished height at the front and around 50 at the rear but when it is fully laden or when i have the van on, it settles a max of 10mm, giving me a even look. It gives me a brilliant ride and i,m very happy with the lift. Just don't ask me about my DPF !!! Ha!
            Regards from Big Col
            NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling everyone is waiting to see what others are doing....there's very few pioneers!

I think I'm probably going to go with the King option with the standard shocks for now....the only reason I would change the shocks is to lesson the 'crashy' ride over pot holes or when you hit a sharp bump with both front wheels at the same time. One guy I spoke to said that in his opinion, that ride characteristic was more to do with the IFS and the short travel rather than difference between shocks (and he's the one that sold the Koni's), and so whilst the std shocks were new, keep them on there and get your monies worth out of them.

Unlike other 4WD's, there are no appreciably longer travel shocks available for the Paj, so shock replacement becomes less of a necessity when you do a spring lift to get max articulation. Its more a factor of whether the current shocks are stuffed or you think you need something more durable if you are going to really punish it off-road with a Simpson crossing (or two or three) etc.

The front strut dimensions CAN affect the height of the front too BTW. If the position of the collar that the spring sits on is different relative to the base of the strut (bit that attached to the A-arm), then the overall length of the strut/spring combo will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Col View Post
                Hi guys,
                Yes Adam is right, i had a 50mm lift as you can see from my vehicles specs. I asked for a set lift height and as i have a diesel and a steel ARB bullbar, it was explained it would end up approx 35 to 40mm finished height at the front and around 50 at the rear but when it is fully laden or when i have the van on, it settles a max of 10mm, giving me a even look. It gives me a brilliant ride and i,m very happy with the lift. Just don't ask me about my DPF !!! Ha!
                Regards from Big Col
                Col, do you still have the part# for the springs you used for the front? It would have been the KCFR-34 or KCFR-34HD

It is a pity that they don't make a 2" extended shock. Although I am used to the old Live axle and I guess with independent suspension the wheel does not have to move as much.

I will be going Bilsteins only because I know that when we do madigans Line next year standard shocks will last about 1/2 day
                Last edited by Walker; 20-11-07, 06:14 PM.
                thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

I went for a Tough Dog set up (its different to whats normal for sure).

I like the ajustability in the shocks and the ride is better than stock. 50mm lift was the quote (all round), however with the BBar up front I recon its just 50mm up front and a good 60mm at the rear....to high in my opinion. I am hoping for it to settel over the next month or I will go for something else in the rear. I am looking into air bags (full spring replacment).
                  NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Comment

You'd be suprised how much springs settle, after one hard 4WD session with my Cherokee the newly fitted ARB front springs settled 10mm both sides at that time.

Comment

Wilmo,

I have a diesel Np and I bought king springs part No KCFR-34HD (rear) and KCRS-35HD (front). total cost $370.00

I measured the lowest point under the 4wd prior to installation and found that post installation I had a total lift of 45mm. The ride on factory shocks (45,000km) is excellent and on a recent 6600km trip to the Anne beadell Hwy which was corrugated as hell from coober pedy to just past the western boundary of the unnamed conservation park the set up worked beautifully. I had 60l of added diesel, 50l water and all the camping equipment required and found that there was no trouble what so ever.

hope this helps

chook

Comment

yes, thanks for the positive feedback. I think I'm going for the lighter rear springs however, as I don't load up that heavy too frequently and will have polyairs in them as well.

Comment

Wilmo, I have the extra heavy duty ones.

"PAJERO NM NP LWB EHD KCFR-34HHD KCRR-35HD"

I have a duel battery setup and Smartbar on the front and a set of drawers in the back so it has some wieght in it all the time. In retrospect I could have gone for lighter front springs but they're not so heavy that I'm going to bother changing them now.

Can get them from here for

Front $139
                          Rear $195

Not too hard to fit them yourself.
                          BTW, mine's a petrol.
                          Cheers, John.
                          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Is that you Wilmo...From ausjeepoffroad? I used to frequent the jeep forum (username: tinarse) when I had a CRD KJ, mine was a dud as were the dealers! Currently driving a 92 Subaru enduro (great car, 250000kms and not a rattle and the cleanest of oil), looking to purchase an NP DID for touring/light-med 4wd.
                            Good luck with the NS, if it turns out as modded as your KJ it should look a treat!
                            Sorry this is off topic

Comment

LOL.

I was also on ausjeepoffroad for a couple of years when I had my KJ. That was about 4 years ago and was the first to fit 32's to the KJ.

Mine was a dud as well and the dealer was even worse, although I did give the poor girl a real thrashing.
                              thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                              1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X