Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Replacement

Guys,
    During my walk around the block yesterday, I got to talking to a neighbour about his gen4 SWB and how it was going.

He has already clocked up 40,000kms in 1 year, as he is a travelling rep and this is his company vehicle.

Anyway, I asked how the vehicle was going, great except he has just got the vehicle back after the turbo was replaced.

Symptoms were loss of power (felt like it had dropped a cylinder) up around Bundaberg on a trip from Brisbane. Bundy dealers did not have the diagnostic equipment to source the problem, so had to wait until Brisbane.

Just wondering if this is a first?

There were no questions regarding warranty, which was great and this person has never seen the DPF light and didn't know what I was talking about in relation to it, mind you have a look at the kms done, and mostly long trips.

Cheers
    ML triton with some accessories
    National E Trek Libary
    Getting Out There

Was it Manual or Auto.

The Manual use the same Wastegate Turbo that's been used since 2002 in the NM/NP DiD.

The Auto uses a new Variablke Geometry Turbo.

If he does lots of freeway trips and then pulls off the road for a break or at the destination, and doesn't let the exhaust system cool down before switching off, the oil in the Turbo will break down and eventually clog up the oil galleries in the Turbo.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
      . . . If he does lots of freeway trips and then pulls off the road for a break or at the destination, and doesn't let the exhaust system cool down before switching off, the oil in the Turbo will break down and eventually clog up the oil galleries in the Turbo.
      Can you get a turbo timer for the Pajero?

Comment

I was told that turbo timers were illegal (in WA at least) because the vehicle would be left running and unattended. But I do know that the grey imports like the Toyota Surf have them.
        Sandgroper.
        NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

It would be so simple to make the timer interlocked so that as soon as you moved from Neutral, the Timer would cut out, preventing theft of vehicles with Turbo Timer. But no doubt teh lawmakers are too stupid to recognise this solution and just ban Turbo Timers blindly.

When Volkswagens were first imported with Hazard Flashers, they had to be disconnected because they were illegal.

A few years ago it was illegal to store your own rainwater if you were connected to the mains.

Oh dear, we keep moving at a law's pace.
          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

I know a few people that just install a turbo timer from auto one for like $140 and they work well. Also tell you a few things like volts and amps i think.

But we all know that Company cars dont last as long =) i wonder why

But they are a the next step down from a hire car. But a hire car is still better 4wd than a work car cause you can still push it to breaking point but you cant get fired over it
            ROGUE PAJ Daniel NS X SWB V6 Pajero ARB Bull Bar, IPF 800XS Spotties, GME TX3420 CB, Dual Batteries, Custom Roof Rack, ROH RTX 16" Rims, 265 75R16 BFGoodrich A/T, 35mm Dobinson coil lift

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
              Was it Manual or Auto.

The Manual use the same Wastegate Turbo that's been used since 2002 in the NM/NP DiD.

The Auto uses a new Variablke Geometry Turbo.

If he does lots of freeway trips and then pulls off the road for a break or at the destination, and doesn't let the exhaust system cool down before switching off, the oil in the Turbo will break down and eventually clog up the oil galleries in the Turbo.

The SWB only comes with the Auto gearbox.
              Not sure what his driving habits are regarding letting the oil cool, I was under the impresion that the oil would be cool enough to switch off the engine just by coming into town (slowing down)?
              ML triton with some accessories
              National E Trek Libary
              Getting Out There

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X