Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing DPF

Hi
    Just got back on the paj wagon again will post some pics of my lil mud truck. Its good to be back in a 4x4 again!!!

Fortunatly i havn't had the problems that others have had with the DPF that i didn't bring on from my own actions... however i am looking at getting a long range tank down the track before i go in to the outback again, therefore i am looking at getting a 3" mandrel bent exhaust from the turbo back, the exhaust shop recommended just removing the DPF filter all together as it creates alot of restriction. i was interested to know if any body has done this and if the DPF light would stay on if it has been disconnected. personally i would prefer to remove the DPF simply for safety sake when i am in the middle of know where.... any thoughts much appreciated.... good to be back on the forum again applause to all you guys out there keeping the helpful information coming!!!
    2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
    Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

to get the best gains from a 3" exhaust you would need to mod the ecu program for injector duration and timing etc, removing the dpf would likely as you say offer some more room for performance and require further ecu mods. so i guess if you can access the ecu you can also kill the MIL status for the check engine due to dpf and the dpf light... i know this is easy for delphi ecu's (ls1,ls2 v8's etc) so out there i am sure there must be some software/interface about for the mm ecu's??
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

These work in data-logging on older pajeros, not sure of the current model and dpf but it has MUTT III and OBD claims. In the right hands with the right cables there's a chance....
      http://www.limitless.co.nz/

This is also worth a bit of a look into (haven't had a chance to see what it does but it can re-set some ECU's) http://openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash
      Last edited by Eastie; 26-11-07, 08:27 PM.
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

I think if you take off the dpf sensors and put it in the new tube, the ecu don't detect any DPF problem, because the sensors don't will see a presure diference due to the absence of DPF, and can works fine.
        Regards,

Enric
        Barcelona, Spain
        2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the replies... I intended on getting the car dyno tuned to try and get the most out of the new system but i am not sure exactly how far i can go before kissing the engine warranty goodbye. The Mitsu dealer said no worries to the exhaust. Not sure what Mitsu would say about tuning and dis-engaging lights tho. The guy at the exhaust shop said that he knows that you can modify Toyota DPF's to fit larger pipes but was unsure on the new Pajero's if this was also possible, assuming that I really had to keep the DPF installed.
          2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
          Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

Theoretically it is an offence to tamper with or remove any part fitted to the vehicle designed to reduce emissions/pollution.

I don't know exactly where the DPF fits in legally as the Paj is not required by law to have one, but since it does it may be illegal to remove it in Australia.

Whether any one would ever notice and do anything about it is unlikely, look at the number of people with faulty Catalytic converters or who have removed the Cat and or blocked off the EGR valve. I've never heard of anyone being done for EGR/CAT removal etc.

Peter
            2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

I thought about removing the DPF as well, and having a replacement 'piece' made for the gap it would leave when unbolted. You would need to put the sensor pipe attachments into the new replacement pipe and also the attachments for the temp sensors.

This way, the pressure difference wouldn't read, and hopefully the ECU would just assume that the DPF was not getting clogged ever, and therefore never does a 'burnoff'.

I think I read somewhere in the MM manual for the NS, that the burnoff is completed when either 1) pressure differences are detected or 2) a pre-set number of kilometers is covered. So maybe a burnoff will complete regardless if you have the DPF in there or not.

When the burnoff completed the temp sensors monitor the temp of the DPF, and I presume keep injecting fuel to keep the temp up. There's a catalyst in the front of the DPF that starts the reaction to provide the high temps. My concern is that if the catalyst isn't there, then perhaps the ECU will never see the temperatures that it wants to register the DPF burnoff as being completed successfully, and therefore it'll light a CEL or just continue to inject more fuel in a vain attempt to get the temperatures at the sensors up to that required!!!

Food for thought......I tell you what, you do yours and tell us all how it goes!
              NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

or... wait til the fix arrives
                SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

I agree 100% with you Wilmo but time to think for me was gone.
                  In 3 days I leave to Marroco with my NN and a friend's NS SWB auto with DPF.
                  I'm worried about that the dpf issue happend in the the desert, and if it happens I'm thinking in disconnect the pipe between the cat and the DPF and try.
                  It's best solution that try to tow it 300km with my car in a very dirt road.
                  Regards,

Enric
                  Barcelona, Spain
                  2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

Problem is Enric, is that if the car goes into limp mode, I'm not sure if you can get it out of that without the dealer's diagnostic tools. Anyone here know?

If you are going to take the dpf out, and replace it with a straight through pipe....do it before you go so you don't have the problem of it clogging up.
                    NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

I no expert, and not into diesels, but...

why don't you just use a big drill and hollow out the filter?
                      then maybe run bigger pipes from the next flange.
                      or am I missing the point?

I think It's unlikely mitsubishi would look inside the exhaust at warranty time

Comment

We just need to find someone to do it first!

I was very surprised how quickly the DPF obviously fills up. With only 80km on the clock I think the DPF had a burn. I did not notice any black smoke but the fuel economy graph suddenly went off the chart at over 30l/100km for about 10min. When you have only done a fwe k's it also really affects your average economy. I drove into work this morning and got 11.3l/100km which I was thinking was great for a brand new diesel in semi peak hour traffic. DPF burn occured on the way home and my average jumped up to 13.2l/100km
                        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

I don't know in the NS, but in the NM for my experience if it goes to emergency mode ( motor can't go above of 2000rpm) you stop the car for 5 minutes and comebacks to normal mode as far as detect another time some abnormality.
                          In my case was a scrash in the diesel tank that almost close the fuel pipe. That obstruccion only was detected by the ECU at almost full throtle that means the ECU returns to limp mode when detects another time the obstruction.In that time the car don't has de 100% of his power but allows to go above 2000rpm and gives the chance to go out of the dirty road where we are.

In the case of dpf, I think if you stop the engine by 5 minutes, the ecu must reset the error(but don't clear). But when you start again the engine the high presure in dpf stay there for the very first second, because of that goes almost directly to limp mode.

Maybe the procedure it's, to stop the car, unbolt the dpf to separate a litlle bit from the catalyst to leave an aperture for the exaust gases to the exterior, and start again the engine.

Maybe it works

Regards,

Enric
                          Regards,

Enric
                          Barcelona, Spain
                          2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

Yes we need some one to do it first :-). Maybe in 2 weeks when I comebacks from Marroco I give to you some news.

I think to drill the dpf it's not a good solution, I think it's better to open the pipe or replace for another pipe.
                            Regards,

Enric
                            Barcelona, Spain
                            2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

If you can, get a copy of the workshop service and build manual for the ns and read them.

According to the specs, if you open the exhaust system to replace the dpf filer, cat or any of the sensors you must re-learn the ecu via a MUT-III tool.

Believe it or not even replacing oil means connecting the MUT. The following is from the instruction page for replacing oil in the 4M4 Diesel:
                              caution <A/T>
                              When the engine oil is replaced, use the M.U.T.-III to initialise the learning value (Refer to GROUP 00 - Precautions Before Service, Initialisation Procedure for Learning Value in DPF System

In relation to the DPF initialisation and learning it reads:
                              "The engine-ECU stores the change of the DPF system caused by the various driving conditions as the learning value and uses it for assumption of the PM accumulated amount or for the acceptance/rejection criteria of the DPF system. For this reason, the learning value is necessary to be initialized when the parts related to the DPF system are replaced."

I doubt the ECU pays much attention to sensor readings once in limp mode - just my observations having experienced it. The advice I have is it needs a MUT to reset - there's no combination of terminals, buttons, pedals or levers that can be pressed, pulled or poked that will reset the ecu - you need a M.U.T.III.

So - has anyone been doing their own oil changes?
                              NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X