Walker's new NS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker's new NS

It's been a long 3 months but I finally picked it up today.

It all looks good and it is actually a lot quieter than I expected. I think the demo car I drove must have been a noisy one. One thing I wasn't expecting was the turbo lag. I have never had a diesel before and have always had V8 4WD's and the amount of delay from standstill surprised me a bit. Does this improve over time or is it something I just have to get used to?

It is already booked in for Thursday to get new tyres. I was wrapped with my local tyre dealer who offered me $170/tyre trade in.

I also asked the dealer when they expected a fix for the DPF problem. They still did not know but are hoping real soon. He introduced me to another of the sales people who has been driving an NS shorty for the past 3 months. He said he only has a short run to work and has had to have the forced regen done 3 times so far.
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Yes, they are worth waiting for !

Even after driving an NP DiD for four years, I find the Turbo Lag in the NS very disappointing.

Strangely it's not there all the time. When I drive from standstill it's not there, but if I'm cruising att 60km/h and want to overtake, I now put the pedal to the floor because I know it will respond very slowly.

What is the Manufacture Date of yours ? Mine is Aug 02. I'm wondering if it's a side-effect of new software to get around DPF problems. I'm at 4000km and never had teh DPF light come on despite regular stop-start driving (interspersed with freeway driving).

Maybe you should start a new thread on "NS Turbo Lag"
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

My build date is October 07.

I found the lag the total opposite to you. From a standstill I seem to have a lot of delay but when driving, even slowly, and then flooring it, there is very little lag.
      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
      1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

I wonder if an aftermarket chip would fix the lag from standstill?
        I have a bit of a delay from standstill, but not once running. I noticed that the manual I test drove had a fair bit more pickup off the line.
        Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

i have no lag ?

the only time my ns did was "noisy" was when adam was in it???? lol
          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Adam, which new tyres are you putting on it ?
            I am holding off ordering my SWB R until the dpf issue is sorted, but will be putting Cooper ATR's on it, and maybe a smartbar ..
            MY09 NT Pajero X SWB DiD White
            Mods - MM towbar, Yokohama A/T-s 265/60r18 tyres, ARB Deluxe Bar

Comment

I am not a big fan of Coopers after having delamination problems on the ST a little while ago. I have heard they fixed the problem but I would never trust them.

I am getting Goodyear Silent Armour. They are not cheap but should be a good desert tyre.
              I have to get my brake controller installed before Christmas and then I will worry about the rest of the gear. I have to have everything on before our big trip in June. Everything includes snorkel, 2nd battery, ARB bar, driving lights, Bilsteins, King springs and polyairs and rear drawer system. I also need to find a place for my UHF.

I was considering a long range tank but was wondering if you can get one with the 7 seater models? Does anyone know?

I was also thinking that if I remove the 3rd row seats that the space might be perfect for a custom water tank and pump.
              thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
              1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
                i have no lag ?

the only time my ns did was "noisy" was when adam was in it???? lol
                You dont drive fast enough to get any lag....you dag!
                thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Adam
                  Congrats on the newie.
                  You can get a 60/70 litre aux tank which does not touch the 3rd row seat well at all. Long Ranger or Brown Davis do them.
                  I use the well to store all tools,recovery gear, electrical test gear and spares, spare other stuff etc etc. I have a home made shelf which sits above the well access hatch so that I can access the gear in the well while fully loaded if necessary.
                  Rusty
                  2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
                  Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
                  2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

That a good idea. Because I want to put double drawers in the back there won't be access to the area so I though a nice big water tank with remote filling and tap would be nice. I reckon you would get about 50litres in there.
                    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                    1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                      Yes, they are worth waiting for !

What is the Manufacture Date of yours ? Mine is Aug 02. "
                      Looks like you got yourself a new NM Mike!

Well done on NS Adam, hope you get many trouble free klms.
                      Dave
                      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        That a good idea. Because I want to put double drawers in the back there won't be access to the area so I though a nice big water tank with remote filling and tap would be nice. I reckon you would get about 50litres in there.
                        G'day Walker, these pics are from a guy on the Overlander Forum I think who emailed me some ideas when I was looking at setting up a similar bladder system. He used a Sure Flow pump for using the water and a standard tap fitting for filling. I believe ARB sell a custom bladder that fits into the 3rd row seat well. From memory, I think it's 90l.

Hope this helps.

2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

Fantastic, that is exactly what I want to do.

Even the old manual pump would be ok. I have the same electric pump in my trailer.

I think I would want to line the cavity with something to stop any abrasion, the last thing you want is 90l of water in the back of the car.
                          thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                          1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

The new tyres went on today.

They look good and are only slightly noisier than the factory tyres. My only complaint is that the stupid tyre place put them on with the white writing facing out! It was right on closing when I picked it up so I thought I will wait and see if I get used to the look, otherwise I will ask them to change it.

thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                            1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

come on adam you love those white letters you will look a million bucks with them and your blue safari suit..

truck color looks great, how about a photo of inside?
                              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X