tappets service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tappets service

is it still every 15,000k's, thats $300 extra at every service?? seems like madness! esp for dirt ingress
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

. . . and considering how many parts need to be taken off to get at the tappets, I really wonder if it will actually be done, even though it will appear on the bill.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

customer support and my dealer have just confirmed that it is only every 30k now, was every 15k.. good news as last time i looked i did not see any dealer have a "clean room" for removing the top off my engine
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

When I was having noise problems with my NP DiD and wanted the Tappets checked, the Dealer pointed out he had trouble finding staff who could do Tappet adjustments - and that was for the NP where it was easy to just take off the Rocker Cover.
        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

mike when they did mine they had the car for 3 extra hours!! and then were unable to report the as found clearances very sus!
          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

I'll be putting marks on the Bolts/Covers so I'll know if the Rocker Cover has even been taken off.

Comment

Why Diesel engines

Why is it that Diesels need tappet adjustments? Modern petrol engines, mitsu included normally have hydraulic lash adjustment. Are Toyotas and Nissans the same? is there a reason why the technology lags for the diesels or is there another underlying reason?
              Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Comment

Originally posted by danc12 View Post
                Why is it that Diesels need tappet adjustments? Modern petrol engines, mitsu included normally have hydraulic lash adjustment. Are Toyotas and Nissans the same? is there a reason why the technology lags for the diesels or is there another underlying reason?
                More $$$ for the service depot - their not stupid
                --
                Marquis
                SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

i am guessing it is to keep emissions low and the dpf happy
                  SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

Originally posted by danc12 View Post
                    my guess is it's two fold ...maybe the service loads are higher and hydraulics might not be up to it ...and the oil contains a lot more particulate which may tend to impair the operation due to sludge build up ... just a guess ....

I am in for 90K service with the DID next week and mine have never been touched ... my thinking is if they are set correctly in the factory any wear would be less than the capability of the "service person" to adjust them ..and as pointed out the ingress of dirt into the engine doing the job along with the breaking of the oil seal on the rocker cover puts it into the "if it aint broke don't fix it category"

Comment

They need adjustment because they use solid lifters. Not because it is some sort of rort.

it is actually fairly quick and easy to do on the NP. Took us all of 45 mins to do ourselves but would suggest it could be done a little quicker with experience. A couple on the exhaust side were out a bit.
                      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Because the Injectors go in through Rocker Cover, getting the Rocker Cover off to adjust Tappets is a lot more involved.

Comment

old thread

hey all, O know this is an old thread but I have searched and searched this forum for a link for instructions on removing these rocker covers that has the injector pipes going through them but cannot find one. can anyone post a link?
                          Martin Stone

2008 NS Pajero 3.2 DID duel batteries, Duelers D697 LT, ARB bar, Runva 11XP winch, lovell and Bilstien 50mm suspension upgrade, full ERG block , 12mm hole in throttle plate, SS particle filter delete pipe, Pro Vent oil catch can. Chip Tuning CPU reprogram, Dawes Valve boost solenoid bypass, LED light bar and spotties and foxwing awning.

Comment

Originally posted by martinjsto View Post
                            hey all, O know this is an old thread but I have searched and searched this forum for a link for instructions on removing these rocker covers that has the injector pipes going through them but cannot find one. can anyone post a link?

It isn't just "removing the injector pipes".

Had mine done today. A few hours work. There is a bit of removing to do.

Cleanliness is critical.

Being common rail and the pipes going through the tappet cover it is not a 45 minute job.

MM charge up up $900. I didn't pay anywhere near that much through my mechanic.

Comment

I had mine adjusted at the 90000 service and I could hear the difference.
                              NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X