Boss Airbag suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Airbag suspension

I've noticed there is a lot of talk atm about suspension upgrades. Has anyone considered coil replacement airbags an option?

I've been talking to Shane from suspensionstuff, and you can get a rear coil replacement kit, and airbag struts for the front. For the rear he quoted me $540 for a bolt in kit then $300 to control it in car (including a small aircompressor - larger one is more $$$) For the front the struts are rather expensive ($1200) and would require another air compressor. Fitting would involve some wielding with the struts.
    I have found a module at another place that would give automatic levelling on startup for $480.

With the added expense and complexity of the front struts, I am considering going King HD springs on the front and coil replacement bags on the rear and auto levelling. I already have a Big Red compressor that I would use - if it will fit..
    Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Main problem I can see is that most of the replacement airbags are only standard height. You need to fit special spacers if you want a lift. It also adds something else to go wrong.

I had factory self leveling rear airbags on the Disco. They were fantastic but I managed to puncture one on the Frenchline last year. Luckily I had a spare..........but punctures that only an hour further on. It was then that I noticed the reason for the punctures. I should have looked harder the first tme so it was all my own fault. But Iwas then in big trouble. Tried to patch it without luck, they run huge pressures. In the end I filled it with sand just to level out the body and drove the next 600km on the Frenchline and Hay River Tk on a sand bag.
    Not a pleasant experience!
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Was it a Disco 3? I thought the airbags on it were pretty tough. Maybe I will just go the simple option of coils after all.
      Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

No. It was a D2 with factory rear air suspension.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great option. It is handy to be able to load up the back or tow something heavy and it always corrects itself to the right height.
        But, they are more suseptable to damage than coils. The D3 has fully enclosed their airbags in steel canisters so there is no way you could damage them.

I am just going to put polyairs inside my rear coils.
        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Hey, I just read a previous post of yours and realised we have the exact same mods in mind. I too have an ARB bar with dual battery and plan on putting drawers in the back and am looking at either lovells or kings and bilsteins for a 50mmish lift. What model number of Kings are you looking at? I will have the drawers and tools in the back (100kg) for most of the time and load her up with 200+ kg for trips. I too was going to get the 90l water bladder and electric pump and rig it up.

Also, Shane from suspensionstuff said he was open to organising group buys. His website only has lovells but he said he could get kings as well if required. Though the lovells at $300 for a set certainly are great value!
          Last edited by Schniff; 30-11-07, 12:59 AM.

Comment

I thought that I priced the RRP price of Kings as cheaper than Lovells, but I might be wrong. I won't get Lovells only because I have only seen 3 coil spring failures in my life and they have all be Lovells. I'm sure there would be no problems if I did buy a set but those 3 failures have just put a bit of doubt in my mind.

If he could get a group buy on the Kings then I would definitely be interested.
            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
            1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Schniff View Post
              I've noticed there is a lot of talk atm about suspension upgrades. Has anyone considered coil replacement airbags an option?

I've been talking to Shane from suspensionstuff, and you can get a rear coil replacement kit, and airbag struts for the front. For the rear he quoted me $540 for a bolt in kit then $300 to control it in car (including a small aircompressor - larger one is more $$$) For the front the struts are rather expensive ($1200) and would require another air compressor. Fitting would involve some wielding with the struts.
              I have found a module at another place that would give automatic levelling on startup for $480.

With the added expense and complexity of the front struts, I am considering going King HD springs on the front and coil replacement bags on the rear and auto levelling. I already have a Big Red compressor that I would use - if it will fit..
              Hi there - yep i have , see my other posts. I have been waiting for Shane to get back for me! I wil dlefinalty be getting the rear air bags. I ahve a Tough Dog set up now with ajustable shocks but the rear is to high (+60mm - 70mm). I just want to be able to get a bit of lift in the rear when towing/off road etc

I will ring again Monday to get this moving! As for the front he did mention that some cutting and welding may be required. I am intrested in the auto leveling module you have found....got any info on it? it is easy to incorperate etc?
              Last edited by Proudy; 01-12-07, 10:43 AM.
              NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Comment

The auto-leveller can be found here:
                http://www.probag.com.au/components%203.html#level

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X