What about the NS Petrol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the NS Petrol?

Everyone keeps posting their problems with the diesel - but what about the Petrol? Any problems with that?

My V6 NP has been faultless - except for the satnav - but I'm over that know.

Lease expires May 08 - should I get another V6?

if you don't mind paying the fuel bills go petrol, but if you are a bit of a technical dude (like tdi and turbos etc just for fun) and want to spend less on fuel go for the diesel.. i love the down low torque
    Last edited by matthewfnorbert; 02-12-07, 08:09 AM.
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

And remember, only the people who have problems put up posts. There are still thousands of people with diesel NS Pajero's who have never had a problem.
      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
      1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

My NS Petrol is perfect

Smooth, lots of torque and power across the rev range
        A very quick 4wd that is effortless to drive, and economical too (i cant afford the diesel fuel prices lol)

The only time I wish i had a diesel is when i'm crawling up a steep bit in 4wd ( i just use low range before my diesel friends) and when i'm filling up the tank in the outback, where the city economies seem reversed. (diesel is cheaper & more available)
        Cheers,
        Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
        1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

well put andrew..
          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            And remember, only the people who have problems put up posts. There are still thousands of people with diesel NS Pajero's who have never had a problem.
            Up to 5000km now - I've never seen the DPF light come on and have never had any sort of DPF problem.
            Last edited by Mike DiD; 04-12-07, 09:23 AM. Reason: clarification
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Have they sold thousands yet?

As for only people with problems putting up posts - fair enough - but there does seem to be a lot of them.

I've only had petrol so far ( an NM and a NP) - no problems at all (satnav excepted). IMO, fuel is one of the least important costs in running a car - there are only a few $$ in it. Repairs, servicing, initial purchase price and depreciation are more important and the Diesels don't look to flash atm.

I just can't work out how some of you justify a diesel in terms of costs. Unless you are doing high kilometres per year it doesn't make sense.

Comment

Theo,

Don't forget the main purpose of these types of vehicles. There are not too many petrol stations beyond the black stump.... Range per tank is an important factor. Both Petrol and Diesel have exactly the same size tank. Thus, you should be able to go 30% further in a diesel for a given quantity of stored fuel.

Also, many people buy this type of car solely as a heavy suburban station wagon, which does seem a bit of a waste, but nevertheless, each to their own, yet the limp home mode may only occur when actually giving the engine some work to do - thus many people will not have had problems, as they are yet to really try the car out.
                Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post

As for only people with problems putting up posts - fair enough - but there does seem to be a lot of them.
                  There's only been 15 people out of all those on the forum with NS's that have responded to the 'if you have a dpf problem where are you located' thread.
                  NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Theo, diesels are made for work. Towing our boat was a major factor in choosing the DiD. Our NS will also be a manual, lower purchase price over an auto, better economy and no DPF.
                    Sandgroper.
                    NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

Diesels seem the way to go if you live in the bush, or want to do really remote touring. Or if you want to to really steep 4wd tracks. But if you live in the city and this is less than 10% of your need then it may not make sense to get a diesel. For the steep bits, there is low range. For remote touring, you can fit a long range tank or carry cans in the trailer.

I am very happy with my swb petrol - for what i generally do. But for the simpson or whatever..... I was thinking a tray back toyota v8 diesel would be my pick (powerful, and you can hose out the red dust when you get home)
                      One question, sorry its a bit off topic but the same v8 diesel is in the new landcruiser but is rated at quite a bit more power,,, would that just be the turbo boost level making the difference ??

andrew
                      Cheers,
                      Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
                      1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

"have they sold thousands yet"
                        I think they are averaging 500 per month, and been on sale for about 12 months, so the ratio of trouble (DPF) to no trouble (DPF) is very low.
                        NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
                        NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

It is an interesting question though, about what percentage of the cars are playing up. I agree that based on what I read out of the Overlander mag, that 500 a month sounds about right, but this will be all pajeros, petrol and diesel. Petrol does not have this issue, and even with the diesel, it in only the auto and not the manual that has the DPF. Given that the diesels are more expensive than the Petrol, and the Auto 3 grand more expensive again, just what proportion of the cars sold are actually Diesel automatics ?. With the Short wheel Base ones, it is a bit easier to work out as they are all Autos, but you still have the issue of petrol, and I don't know what the take up is on Diesel in these cars either. I would guess that it is far less than 1/4 of the total Pajeros (SWB & LWB) sold.
                          Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post

I've only had petrol so far ( an NM and a NP) - no problems at all (satnav excepted). IMO, fuel is one of the least important costs in running a car - there are only a few $$ in it. Repairs, servicing, initial purchase price and depreciation are more important and the Diesels don't look to flash atm.

I just can't work out how some of you justify a diesel in terms of costs. Unless you are doing high kilometres per year it doesn't make sense.

I am up to 320km now and never had a problem.

But I do agree with you on the diesel. If you mostly drive around town with the occasional trip then I still think petrol is the better alternative. It's more powerful, quieter and I reckon nicer to drive.
                            I bought a diesel for one reason only......range. With a diesel I can do trips (outback 4WD trips) which I could not do in a petrol. I would not even attempt Madigans Line in a petrol and then there is the Canning.
                            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                            1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

When I bought the NP DiD in 2003 there was $2000 difference between Diesel and Petrol.

When I traded it in 2007, I was very glad I'd paid the $2000 extra because no-one was interested in buying a Petrol - I got $6000 more trade-in for the Diesel than for a Petrol in the same condition.
                              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X