265/70 AT's with spare wheel lifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 265/70 AT's with spare wheel lifter

I'm in the process of ordering a new NS with the spare wheel lifter, as I regularly tow a car trailer, and have a couple of "dumb" newbie questions:

1) I'm presume that the wheel lifter, lifts just the wheel/tyre, it dosen't change the position of the hard plastic "spare wheel holder" on the back door, or does it ?

2) I'm also looking to mount 265/70 R17 AT tyres instead of the OEM 265/65 R17. Are there any problems fitting the large diameter tyre with the rear wheel lifter - the salesman I spoke to, naturally, said there wasn't, but I'm not totally convinced ?

Cheers ... Kimbo

I reckon it would be close but I dont know the answer.

I just fitted 265/70-17 AT's but I dont have the lifter. I can't see any problems towing without the lifter
    Last edited by Walker; 03-12-07, 01:02 PM. Reason: I cant spell
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Thanks Adam - the only issue with towing without the lifter is "apparently" you can't open the rear door with a trailer hooked up, as the spare wheel won't clear the tow hitch - a very stupid design fault if you ask me. It's not a major problem, but will be a huge inconvenience.

Comment

Ahh. Ok. I will have to hook up my trailer and see how it goes.
        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Hi Kimbo27,
          When I fit my muddies - 265/75/R16 - and have the wheel lifter fitted, i can't close the spare wheel cover without deflating the spare wheel. The top of the cover just can't get over the tyre when it is inflated, and rubs against the tyre, but closes when it is deflated. As you are looking at 265/70/R17 I think that you are going to be in the same boat.

Though it does fit quite nicely inflated if you remove the lifter!

If you have the lifter fitted, remember to ask Mitsubishi for the original bolts that came with the car for the spare wheel. The lifter has 3 studs instead of welded on nuts, so you use a nut to bolt the wheel on the lifter. If you ever remove the lifter and want to bolt the wheel directly to the carrier, you won't be able to without the origianl bolts.

I worked this one out the hard way!
          Last edited by Fudggie; 03-12-07, 03:18 PM.
          NS 3.2L Diesel Black Shortie
          Nudge Bar, Roof Rack, Piranha Duel Battery System, Uniden UH015sx UHF, Hella Rallye 4000 Lights, LRA Aux Tank, ARB High Output Compressor, BFG Mudies (Occasionally)

Comment

Hi guys,
            I have the lifter fitted and also have larger tyres, and yes there is a problem with closing the hard cover.
            I had to partially modify the cover and then also had to deflate the tyre for it to close.
            I carry a compressor to inflate the tyre if it's required.
            Regards from Big Col.
            NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

Thanks Fudggie - I've just done some quick calculations, and you're right 265/75-16 gives approx 804mm OD, and 265/70-17 is approx 803 OD. This is the problem I'd suspected all along, and proves that sales guys will tell you anything (as if I didn't know that already LOL). Looks like it's going to have to be Bridgestone Dueller AT D694, Cooper Discoverer ATR, or Dunlop Grandtrek AT2, which seem to be the only brands that do an AT 265/65-17 - unless anyone's got other ideas on brands ?

Cheers ... Kimbo

Comment

Fudggie, I note you say you have 16" muddies and a Wheel Lift kit.
                Have you got an NS Shortie (we know 16" wheels fit) or have you got a LWB NS (we all think 16" fitment not possible) and found a 16" rim to suit. If so what rims are you running??
                Thanks
                NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
                NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

I have an NS Shortie, so luckly the 16" rims fit.
                  They were purchaed from Wombat Offroad in Ringwood.
                  Last I heard from Shane at Wombat Offroad was that the importer who was bringing the rims in has gone bust and that the new importer won't be bringing in rims for the Pajero. It may be worth a call to see if he has sourced anything else yet.
                  Another option for you guys looking for steel rims...has anyone tried Ajax Wheels in Morrabbin? I'm told that they will custom make just about anything. They may be worth a phone call also.
                  NS 3.2L Diesel Black Shortie
                  Nudge Bar, Roof Rack, Piranha Duel Battery System, Uniden UH015sx UHF, Hella Rallye 4000 Lights, LRA Aux Tank, ARB High Output Compressor, BFG Mudies (Occasionally)

Comment

Hi all,

I upgraded to Pirelli 265/70R17s and with the spare wheel lifter in place, the door didn't close as the top hinge bumped up against the (fully inflated) tyre. You'd also need to nibble away a bit of the top of the plastic wheel cover to close the door properly.

I also had the half hard cover and there's no way this would fit in with the lifter in place. I took off the lifter and the larger spare fit fine, the half hard cover too.

Only one question, does anyone know the size and length of the original bolts/studs needed to go into the non-lifted wheel carrier. I used the countersunk bolts from the lifter backwards, but they're a bit short.

Anyone got a spare set lying around they don't need?

Thanks,
                    Mark
                    -----------------
                    2010 NT Activ Auto DID Silver, Rear Diff Lock, Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/70R17LT, Lovell HD/Bilstein 2" Lift, Polyairs, ARB Deluxe Bar, Airtek Snorkel, Tow Bar, XRay 55w HID Spotties, Bushskinz plates & rear protector bar, GME TX4500S, Ctek D250S Dual Battery, Rhino Pioneer Platform, ARB 47L Fridge

Comment

Originally posted by markus View Post
                      Hi all,

Only one question, does anyone know the size and length of the original bolts/studs needed to go into the non-lifted wheel carrier.
                      I too would like to work out these details as I think I am going to need some soon as well. I am looking at getting some 265/65R17's on some ROH Trojan rims that have a +30mm offset. So I think I will have to remove the wheel lifter to get it all to fit as well.

Regards
                      Steve
                      Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition Diesel Auto, ARB Bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, Sandgrabbers, Raw 4x4 Suspension + Firestone Airbags, Airtec Snorkel, TJM IBS Dual Battery System, BushSkinz Intercooler/Sump/Transmission/Transfer Bash Plates & Side Steps, LRA 58lts Aux Tank, 17" ROH RTX with Bridgestone D697LT's + Australian Off Road Campers Quantum! Read about our Adventures HERE!

Comment

Markus,

I made my own lifter & the bolts are 10mm x 1.5m thread same as wheel studs, normal bolts this size are 10mm x 1.25 thread so watch out.

We drilled & tapped threads in the lifter plate so that way the original spare wheel "bolts" can be used.

We gave up on the full wheel cover.

One thing that everyone forgets is how close the tire goes to the rear wiper !!! watch that one too, suppose you could always take it off, come to think of it I cant remember the last time I used it.
                        Angry.

My Photo site.
                        AAA-Photography.smugmug.com

07 NS VRX, DID Auto, Nudge Bar, 130W 215 Nitghtstalkers, 50w HID H/Beams, Kenwood Touchscreen Natsav/DVD/CD/Rev camera, Rear Alpine DVD Player, Recaro Orthopedic drivers seat, DIY Spare Wheel Lift.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X