Abrupt knock at start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abrupt knock at start up

Hi all ,my DiD Auto appears to knock quite abruptly when she fires up and is usually a lot worse once the engine has warmed up and she is re-started on and off through out the day. It has been doing this for a while now and I will get it checked out next Monday whilst the DPF fix is completed at the dealer . Has any one else noticed this knock? , apart from this the vehicle is running well .
    2007 DID AUTO

Mine gets about 5-10 seconds of warm up time, at least the light is out each time and have never had a knock. When you say knock you mean like a misfire, as in the days of the old glow plug diesels that took 20 seconds to glow when you didn't glow them long enough??
    I just get slight turbo lag from still, and dip in revs occasionally which I now think is related to the Air con cutting in and giving it a hit in the head.
    Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Comment

Originally posted by capemanifold View Post
      Hi all ,my DiD Auto appears to knock quite abruptly when she fires up and is usually a lot worse once the engine has warmed up and she is re-started on and off through out the day.
      No knock on start up or while running other than the normal diesel rattle.
      Last edited by MinniTheMoocha; 10-12-07, 05:49 PM.
      2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

I have a DiD manual Triton, and sometimes hear an abrupt knock on startup too - haven;t mentioned it to my $tealer yet, and would like to know what yours has to say capemanifold if you don;t mind keeping us updated?

Cheers
        Andrew
        White 07 ML Triton GLX-R 3.2 Di-D, Ironman bullbar, TJM snorkel, GME TX3440, tinted and lined, Lightforce 240's, 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler SA's
        Got a new Triton?? Click here!!

Comment

My jeep used to do this at startup - it was air getting into the fuel system somewhere. Maybe the filter isn't screwed on tight enough? Check that.
          NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies and I will let you know what the dealer has to say about it .I guess the sound is sort or like an abrupt thump as the engine fires but then continues to run fine after that. I will also check out what you have suggested Wilmo regarding air making its way into the fuel system .
            2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Had the knock /thump looked at today and was told that the new soft ware will fix it .But alas it was not available ,bloke in the service centre said that this noise is a known issue in a number of vehicles and that the newer software available would address the issue .Supposed to have the DPF fix done as well but apparently it had not arrived yet .Dealer is a waiting for a few discs/software all that are aimed at DID Paj issues .
              2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Capemanifold,

If your noise has started since the last service, check out the oil filter that has been fitted. Perhaps it's one of the cheapys that doesn't have the stop valve in it to stop the oil draining away from the pump overnight. It might be rattling until the oil pressure builds up, but this will only normally take a few seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopperoo View Post
                  Capemanifold,

If your noise has started since the last service, check out the oil filter that has been fitted. Perhaps it's one of the cheapys that doesn't have the stop valve in it to stop the oil draining away from the pump overnight. It might be rattling until the oil pressure builds up, but this will only normally take a few seconds.
                  The noise began well before my first oil change at 7500 and it is only recently however that I have asked if any one else has had a similar experience. Mitsu say that one of their newer discs/software should fix it ,some vehicles within a particular VIN range seem to have been affected by this problem, so they tell me.
                  2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Originally posted by capemanifold View Post
                    I guess the sound is sort or like an abrupt thump as the engine fires but then continues to run fine after that.
                    I have that on my NP.
                    Figured it out the hard way that it was the gear leaver hitting against the handbrake as the engine kicked over.
                    Peter
                    2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

Peter I had a knock noise with my NP diesel. It turned out to be a crook rh gear box mount.Fixed under warranty(finally!!!).
                      Vince

2011 NT. Now to transfer dual batteries, fridge slide, uhf & slider plates from previous NP.
                      Gulf pop top outback caravan.Solar panels, off road hitch, bayonet fitting for outside cooking & yamaha EF2000.

Comment

Mine is fine as well,before and after the ECU upgrade,could possibly be an oil drain back issue or el-cheapo oil filter.Hope you haven`t used that bloody awful Castrol rubbish,it will give no end of trouble.
                        2007 NS VRX PAJERO Di-D , AUTO , FAMILY PACK , HD TOW PACK

Comment

Originally posted by subi_man View Post
                          I have a DiD manual Triton, and sometimes hear an abrupt knock on startup too - haven;t mentioned it to my $tealer yet, and would like to know what yours has to say capemanifold if you don;t mind keeping us updated?

Cheers
                          Had then DPF fix done today and with it the software to address the knock/thump at start up .It appears to have worked as the noise has completely dissappeared .The engine it a lot quieter now and the asthmatic wheeze that it used to have at around 60 -80 km/hr has pretty much gone .
                          2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Quick update regarding the start up thump/knock ,the problem is still there and like before very noticeable as the engine fires .Problem is not there from a cold start or if the the vehicle has been sitting for a fair while .Spoke to the workshop supervisor at my local dealer and he has never heard of the problem before .So much for the ECU update fixing the problem as I had been originally told ,lack of communication some where down the line I wouldn't mind betting .Work shop supervisor also mentioned that there were quite a few DID auto's in CQLD with ongoing DPF problems even after receiving their upgrades .
                            2007 DID AUTO

Comment

I get the knock as well. I am convinced that it is a mechanical noise as something attached to the motor hits the body as the torque from the starter first kicks in (hope that makes sense). Only happens when the motor
                              is cold.
                              Gromit ***********************************

White NS Manual LWB - Lotsa bits - more wanted

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X