Pajero Recovering Prado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pajero Recovering Prado

Hi guys. My best mate has just ordered a new GX D4D Prado which he takes delivery of in February. He's constantly reminding me how he'll need a good snatch strap to keep recovering me once we hit the tracks. Little does he know the offroad prowess of the Pajero!

Does anyone have a photo of a Pajero recovering a Prado that I can send through to him? Should keep him quiet for at least another week.

Cheers, Sam.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

he'll need recovering when he's sitting at the bottom of a ditch with a broken rear diff! just read pradopoint.com for all the problems with rear diffs....
    NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

We had four Prado's all blow diffs in our club. Two owners now have Pajeros, one has a Land Cruiser and the other dose not take his on anything hard anymore. He will need a good strap alright, but it wont be for you.
      Errol. NW 3.2 GLX Auto. Nudge Bar, Side steps, 265/65/17 Bridgstones, 265/70/17 Cooper M/T 2" lift King springs, Extra 60 lt. fuel tank.

Comment

Not sure that you actually need any photos, just run through the drivetrain technology the Pajeros have eg MATT etcIN ALL MODELS and let him compare that to what the GX Prado has to offer.

I'd bet my nurries, well we all know, the GX Prado doesn't get close. Not sure what he's blowing his trumpet about, but as they say...give them enough rope.....

Comment

I don't have photos available (I had one somewhere of my Paj recovering a 'Cruiser down hill), but tell him to start searching for Toyota IFS front diffs, and rear LSDs.

If he still believes he's done a good thing, ask him how much Toyota charged him for their badges.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

A Lada Niva would give you similar off-road ability
            NS oil burner shorty

Comment

It's not a Prado, but this is us getting ready to snatch a locked and lifted 100 series over Big Red:

2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
              2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

You could always direct him to some reviews on the GX:
                http://www.caradvice.com.au/2193/200...sel-road-test/

"I think it?s quite a concern that the GX model doesn?t come standard with ABS brakes, considering the size of the vehicle; it could become quite dangerous in the wet without the assistance of ABS."
                "On road dynamics are far from spectacular, a higher centre of gravity, along with soft suspension certainly don?t help the fact. Toyota certainly didn?t try and hide the fact that there is a Diesel under the bonnet; the noise often overcomes that of trucks near by."
                Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Comment

Just out of interest drive.com.au reviewed and rated the most spec'd up prado 4/5 stars and the paj only 3.5/5. Even the lada niva got 4
                  NS oil burner shorty

Comment

G'day PSPROULE, thanks for the pic, it will work fine for stirring a bit of sh1t.

On paper the Paj certainly has his measure. Although the list of mods he's got it booked in for already should even the stakes up a bit.

He'll definitely need some security for those badges, they're worth about $10K.
                    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

How can you get bogged on big red?

It's a fairly easy climb - Stockton is worse...
                      --
                      Marquis
                      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Originally posted by marquis View Post
                        How can you get bogged on big red?

It's a fairly easy climb - Stockton is worse...
                        My brother struggled in his unlocked NA diesel 80 series. Ended up flogging the bejeezus out of his clutch to make it over - masses of black smoke & horrid stench, but wouldn't let any of us drag him.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

It was fairly soft that year. The 100 series only got stuck because the driver backed off after climbing the bank on the right hand side a little too high. A fully worked over GU patrol, a 6WD (yes - 6WD) troopy with a Chev V8 diesel, and a standard diesel troopy couldn't make it either. All kept running out of torque before the crest. Several attempts and even different drivers couldn't get them over. We also had to send a V8 100 series the long way round after it snapped both rear shocks about 2 days earlier. The Paj on the other hand - was fairly well unstoppable in the desert, and ours was the pre traction control model. An absolutely stock NP DID (including factory rubber) driven by a 70 year old didn't get stuck once.

The 120 series Prado is actually a fairly good thing off-road. I regularly tour with both a V6 and a D4D. What they lack in traction aids they just about make up for in rear suspension articulation. And both have plenty of grunt. I'd suggest that the D4D in particular could probably go places I can't, mainly due to its better after market suspension and lower gearing. But I am just waiting for one of them to blow a rear diff - possibly this Christmas in the High Country.

I'll make sure I get a pic if it happens
                          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmo View Post
                            he'll need recovering when he's sitting at the bottom of a ditch with a broken rear diff! just read pradopoint.com for all the problems with rear diffs....
                            Some nice horror stories there ..particularly about the repairs

Comment

I have a video of me snatching a prado but probably too big to post.
                              Pajero Exceed 3.8l, BFG AT 275/70, Narva Ultima 175 spots, o2 Jamin with BT GPS, O'Briens camping trailer, 2" Lift with Bilsten Shocks.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X