Home made awning for $160.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made awning for $160.00

Very simple, quick, inexpensive, waterproof, good quality awning.

Parts:
    • 2.4m Aluminium Sailtrack $15.00 (Bunnings)
    • 2.4m x 25mm Square Section Aluminium $22.00 (Bunnings)
    • 2.4m x 2.4m Custom Canvas Awning with Bolt Rope & Eyelets $97.00 (www.infrontcampinggear.com.au)
    • 2 Extendable Tarp Poles $8.00 each (Rays Outdoors)
    • Misc rivets, bolts, spring washers, velcro $10.00 (Bunnings)

Rivet sailtrack on top of aluminium section.

Bolt aluminium and sailtrack to crossbars.

Insert bolt rope into sailtrack.

Roll up and secure with velcro strips.

Use tarp poles in outer corners and secure with a couple of guy ropes. Haven't got any pics of it up yet but will do soon. Will give it a good test in Tassie in Jan.

Anyone else got some handy DIY tips for the rest of us?
    Last edited by Hookedon4wding; 19-12-07, 09:31 PM.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

I've done something similar for about $60. Doesn't look as flash as the above.

1. One 4x2 pine stud painted to provide some weather protection
    2. Two lengths of rope to tie stud to cross bars
    3. I blue tarp with eyelets - tied to pine stud
    4. Four extendable tent poles
    5. I cross beam pole to sit on top of middle poles
    6. Assorted ropes & tent pegs

Takes about 10 minutes to set up - only used it on Fraser. Moves a bit in the wind if windy - but it's about $800 cheaper than the custom factory jobs my mates use.

Comment

I like the number plate covers, looks good! Speed cameras wouldn't worry you!

Comment

Originally posted by Para Ordnance View Post
        I like the number plate covers, looks good! Speed cameras wouldn't worry you!
        Heard a story on the Overlander Forum I think about RTA officers getting number plates from photos of modified 4wd's and then turning up on the owners doorstep to hassle them about road worthiness. Not that I've done anything that's unroadworthy at this stage but can't be too careful.
        2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

Like the idea of the awning,

An additioin I would like to include is a fly net. I have bought one of these (a double used for sleeping) and am thinking up ways I can use it so I can enjoy a cup of tea at a road stop without being tormented by bloody flies.

I reckon the double will fit nicely over two chairs and a small table.

I have to work out how to hang it from the car and would like to combine with an awning as you guys have done. I have a SWB so bit more of a challange

Rich

Comment

The awning looks good and the price was pretty good for canvas!

I went a little cheaper and just got a plastic "C" channel from Rays attached to roof rack, two adjustable "twist type" poles and a tent fly. I don't roll up the tent fly like yours but compact it into a small bag. Total cost $70
            2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X