Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piranha Battery Tray Dramas

Hi All,

I've been working on fitting a Dual Battery to my NS Diesel and have finally nearly finished the install but not without some dramas!

Lessons learned:-

1) Century Deep Cycle NS70T batteries are crap and spill acid through gassing when charged by the standard Alternator in the diesel NS. Buy a decent battery if you are doing this! Preferably Gel or AGM Deep Cycle that won't lose acid.

2) I replaced the Century (thanks to Battery World Joondalup - great guys to deal with) - with a Haze Gel, much better quality, 80amp hr as opposed to 65AH of the Century and way more cycles and rated life of 10 years. The extra initial purchase cost will more than pay for itself.

3) Next problem was that the Piranha battery tray is only 257mm long at the base, so this battery at 259 wouldn't fit properly. The Haze and many better quality AGM/Gel Batteries are all 259mm long which is advertised as the 'standard 10 inch battery' or N50 size. The Century did fit (snugly) in case you are wondering.

4) You'll need to modify by bending in a vice and cutting the Piranha battery tray end with a grinder (so the bent out end doesn't foul the air con line) if you want to fit one of these batteries with this tray (as I have now done.)

5) You'll also need a set of taller battery 'clamps' to secure it. The ones in the Piranha kit are too short for these Gel/AGM batteries (because the batteries are taller than the standard wet lead acid).

6) For the $50 extra, I probably should have spent the extra money and bought the ARB battery tray and I wouldn't have wasted a day trying to make this battery fit!

Its all in now and looks good and works a treat.
    Last edited by Wilmo; 25-12-07, 09:19 AM.
    NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Hi Wilmo

Thanks for letting us know that the Pirahna tray is a little short. I hope to fit dual batteries soon and will get the ARB tray.

The gel batteries also sound good. Maybe give us an update after using them for a while. ie runtime to flat etc.

What dual charge system did you fit?

Thanks
    2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

Don't gel batteries have a much slower charge rate?
      Last edited by psproule; 25-12-07, 03:57 AM.
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

No, if anything they are faster to charge, you have to be careful not to charge them with to many volts however, otherwise you can reduce their lifespan. We found the Paj's alernator put out a max of 14.26 volts which is within the recommended charge range of 14.2 to 14.4 for this battery.
        NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Originally posted by MinniTheMoocha View Post
          Hi Wilmo

Thanks for letting us know that the Pirahna tray is a little short. I hope to fit dual batteries soon and will get the ARB tray.

The gel batteries also sound good. Maybe give us an update after using them for a while. ie runtime to flat etc.

What dual charge system did you fit?

Thanks

You might want to check the ARB tray as well....by the looks of things both batteries in it are in a line, with the rear auxillary battery (on a diesel) running lengthwise relative to the front/rear of the car. I'm not sure that there is too much room with the battery running this way either. Someone with an ARB tray might be able to measure it and post the tray length?

Comment

I have always used the exide Orbital Blue top battery as my 2nd battery. It is an AGM battery, is nice and small and has a good output.
            The only thing is that I think it is slightly taller than some batteries so you would have to check the height.
            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
            1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmo View Post
              You might want to check the ARB tray as well....by the looks of things both batteries in it are in a line, with the rear auxillary battery (on a diesel) running lengthwise relative to the front/rear of the car. I'm not sure that there is too much room with the battery running this way either. Someone with an ARB tray might be able to measure it and post the tray length?
              G'day guys, I have the ARB setup and the tray that comes with this doesn't fit an N70 either. I don't think the TJM one does either. I have an Exide Extreme N50 installed in mine. 75 Amp Hour and is a dual purpose battery which will crank as well as having deep cycle characteristics.

The alternative would be to have an N50, high CCA battery as the starting battery and use the space usually allocated for the starting battery to house an N70 auxiliary battery. This is one alternative ARB gave me.

I can measure the tray size exactly if anyone wants to know.

Cheers, Sam.
              2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

Sorry, I meant N50, not N70. There's some variation in N50's as I found out, and the Piranha battery tray won't fit some N50's...anything longer than 257mm.

The ARB tray may however, if you can measure the tray and post the length of the base that'd probably be useful for others that come across this post at some point.

Comment

I had my local guy install a TJM Tray, the most expensive one unfortunately, and relocate the starting battery to the rear now using a Yellow Top Optima and have fitted a Large 100AH AGM from my previous Patrol in the front original tray. All works and fits pretty nicely and gives heaps of capacity. I am using a Redarc Dual Battery controller with capability to join both batteries together for jump starting, again this system is cheap, simple and works well.
                  Phoenie
                  2009 NT Exceed Auto DID, Dual Batts, UHF, eXplorist XL GPS, ARB Steel Bar + ARB Fogs, HID X-Ray Vision 200's, Geolander AT-S's, Black Widow Rear Awning, Brake Controller, Evakool ED50, Aussie Swag camper

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X