TomTom GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomTom GPS

I just bought a tomtom GO720 gps for onroad use and i am very impressed. Its fast and accurate to a few metres. I mainly got it to load all the speed camera locations & school zones and give me a verbal warning, but i could see its useful for navigation as well. I downloaded the traffic poi from ozpoi.com

I think i will take it to europe with me at easter. Also, since it gives you a gps fix to 5 dec places, you could easily find yourself on a topographic map, either paper or digital, as well. I know there are better systems for off road use but i am not sure if they are as slick around town. More investigation needed.....
    Cheers,
    Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
    1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

I agree the TomTom is great around town but once you get out of the burbs it is pretty useless.

It uses the sensis map which is just not up to scratch and I have the latest map!

I have seen the Melways map on road and off road and it is so much better.

If only the TomTom used the Melways map......
    2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

I notice you can buy maps for the whole of western europe, or just a section that i gather has more detail..... Its a shame you cant use other brand maps but im sure they will improve. The Sydney ones are fine now.

I wonder if you can connect it to a laptop and pull out the gps data to use with topographic maps. I will probably just get a different unit for this, or just get a paper map & read my position from the tomtom. I downloaded one aussie wide topo map & it was not that great.....
      Cheers,
      Andrew

1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

It does not do way points or save the current trip etc.

You can connect it to a computer and modify its settings, plan for trips, save POI's (points of interest, which can be shared with others POIEDIT)

Have seen no way to get topographic information.

There might be someone out there who has the know how lets hope. Otherwise I will be using my laptop with an external gps that supports topographic maps.

My boss just bought the europe map and took his tomtom with him to spain and uk. Says it was fantastic both for driving and even walking. Store hotel, wander around and then just say goto hotel. It will walk you back. Couldn't be easier. Plus the map was really cheap compared to the aussie map.

Comment

As a current Paramedic i tried the Navman and the Tom Tom and returned them both 2 days after purchase. Great for the wife finding her way around town but on the Ambulance i would kill people with it.

If you can find the quickest way to the corner of the suburb you need to get to the Sat Nav is good to get you in and out quickly but accross suburbs it is not the quickest route for the Ambulance.

Comment

I agree if you know your way i would not take a machine's advice. But near the end of the trip, if you are in an unfamiliar area, it could be handy, and you dont have to struggle with the street directory. I would just leave it for then & certainly not take its advice if i knew better re traffic etc.

PS the camera warnings seem spot on. But i am using a file i downloaded from ozpoi.com
            Cheers,
            Andrew

Comment

I have the Tom Tom GPS as part of my HP IPAQ. I must admit that I've been very impressed with it. Went 4WDing up to Mt. Disappointment and it showed 95% of the small 4WD tracks up there which I wasn't expecting it to.

On a recent trip to Italy, I downloaded the Italian map and it was brilliant. On top of very accurately showing all of the streets, it also has the speed limits built in and warns you 'audibly' if your exceeding it. Very handy as it's sometimes very hard to work out the speed limit in Italy as they're not very well marked.
              2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

Does the tomtom actually interface with your ipaq ? Please explain...

Is the Italy specific map more detailed than the all of Western Europe Map ? Is that why you got the former, and is it a better idea ?
                Cheers,
                Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by macguru View Post
                  Does the tomtom actually interface with your ipaq ? Please explain...

Is the Italy specific map more detailed than the all of Western Europe Map ? Is that why you got the former, and is it a better idea ?
                  There are variants of tomtom Navigator 6 software that runs on PDA's and Mobile phones. I run tomtom Navigator 6 on my windows 2003 Pocket PC for bitumen driving and then I switch over to OziExplorer for offroad driving.

I'm no expert on tomtom maps in Europe. Why not look up tomtom.com...

Comment

try using this

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/oziexplorerce1.html

Comment

tom tom

Well, I just got back from Vic and used the tom tom in rural victoria. Useless once you get out of any specific town. Ok in Melbourne or in major towns.

The Whereis maps ie the latest are not that good. I did not have the previous ones loaded so I couldn't switch to see the difference in the accuracy.

I have a magellan Explorist XL with DAST topo on SD card and that is pretty accurate, the only problem is that it doesn't compute directions, you have to preplan the itinerary to create a series of waypoints and I use Oziexplorer for that with VIC and NSW maps loaded. Generally only use this for 4WD trips.

I bought my tom tom in the US and it came with US preloaded and I got All of europe and Aus now. US maps were really good, Europe were excellent and Aus are not so great as per above. The cost is ridiculous for Aus maps.

GEneral Question that was asked on whole of europe vs specific country maps, yes much more detail and street content on the country specific. GEnerally load the countries needed and use the coarser detail to get to the country then load the detailed map of that country to get to the specific address.

Dan C
                      Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Comment

The TomTom use Sensis maps (Telstra & Whereis) and I think that explains a lot about why they are not up to scratch.

If you use NavTek maps (Melways GPS, Medion device) you are way better off. It inlcudes country trails and tracks.

It seems that Sensis has good offers like free fuel, rebates etc which is why they outsell Navtek gps units.

I am going to look at a NavTek mapped device or the Oziexplorer software for PC/PDA

Comment

I cannot believe how Sensis get away with selling a product so full of errors.

I was at Kurmond wanting to go Lithgow - I knew it was 70 km along the Bell Rd. - it told me to go to Richmond then Penrith then Katoomba - more than 100km !!!!

It regularly told me to make U-turns across median strips or at traffic lights.

These devices ares supposed to reduce fuel wastage - instead they encourage it !

"Not of merchantable quality" is my view, yet the millions of Whereis users accept it quietly !
                          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

It's pretty poor that's for sure, In country Victoria I was navigating most of the time in fields about 200 metres either side of the actual road, the only directions it could come up with was to turn left or right for about 200 Metres to get back on the road. If I did this then I would definitely be in the field next to the road but at least the GPS would have been happy.

I said earlier there was the previous release of the maps and they had a different source to the sensis ones, i need to try these and see if they are better for country. Can then just switch between the two maps depending on where I am. Frankly speaking I use the Magellan mostly in the Bush with the DAST topos loaded
                            Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Comment

Gosh, maybe you should buy a better gps. The tomtom is really good, seems accurate to about 3metres. BUt i have only tried it in the city. When i go bush next ill get a good topo map & plot the lat & long on it. The computerised topo map i tried on my pc was nothing special, but if i can just figure out how to copy google maps/earth for an area ill be happy. (i mean for a pc not the tomtom, i would get a different gps for offroad)
                              Cheers,
                              Andrew

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X