Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snorkel?

Anyone found a snorkel yet?

Looking at the install notes on the safari website the relocation and 'cover up' of the side indicator looks half arsed. Also, it still says manual transmission only?
    NS oil burner shorty

I was speaking with ARB today and I have some very bad news.

At the moment it looks like there will never be a snorkel for the auto diesel NS. According to the sales guy at ARB the snorkel caused problems with the induction system and made the car undriveable and Safari have all but given up. ARB has a test NS which has a snorkel on it and they are removing the snorkel and are going to have to reapair the hole in the guard.

There will be a snorkel for the manual but not the diesel.

I then spoke to TJM and the salesperson did not know the specifics but was told that they had hit some troubles with the snorkel and all design has stopped and been put on the backburner.

The ARB tech thought that there must be a way to design a suitable snorkel but it will not happen until they get enough demand. So we all need to put in requests direct to safari.

And maybe if there is anyone in the club who has a bit of power with these things, they could find out a bit more info on it.

This is really dissapointing as I consider a snorkel a "must have" accessory for a 4WD.
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

I find that hard to believe. If it is the case then it is a disaster. I was assuming that one would be available. I wonder how TJM have been going with their snorkel?
      Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

TJM are continuing their development. They are currently awaiting a test vehicle to build the piping through the guard to the airbox - they've completed the external snorkel.

Anticipated timeframe is Q2 2008.

I'm surprised by ARB - in the week prior to christmas the story I got was they were still awaiting a confirmed order from Safari (all 50 units reportedly pre-sold). Given Safari have been closed since then and will not-open until next week I'm wondering who in ARB has the right info?
        Last edited by Eastie; 07-01-08, 02:26 PM.
        NS oil burner shorty

Comment

I think that there is one available from Safari for the diesel manual now.
          I emailed Airtec a couple of months ago and they said that one would be ready later this month.
          So i emailed them again on thursday/friday last week to see how things were going and i still have not got a reply as yet, hopefully later this week.
          This is regarding the manual, so when i get a reply i will post it here and i will also ask about the auto.
          Hopefully they can come up with something, there seems to be a lot more autos out there than us lonely manual drivers.

Will let you know as soon as i hear something.

Josh
          * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
          * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
          * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
          * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
          * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
          * Pajero now sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Eastie View Post
            TJM are continuing their development. They are currently awaiting a test vehicle to build the piping through the guard to the airbox - they've completed the external snorkel.

Anticipated timeframe is Q2 2008.

I'm surprised by ARB - in the week prior to christmas the story I got was they were still awaiting a confirmed order from Safari (all 50 units reportedly pre-sold). Given Safari have been closed since then and will not-open until next week I'm wondering who in ARB has the right info?

ARB said that they had recieved the first shipment from Safari but it is only for manual diesels. I sure hope the guy I spoke to is wrong but he really seemed to know what he was talking about.
            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
            1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

so what is the tech problem?
              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

I recon you're right Adam - the first ones they got were for the manual.

If this is true (and tjm don't come through with an airtek) I'd say this is a shot in the head for the NS (is that an abbreviation for "nothing standard"?) Pajero - at least for anyone who wants to do river crossings without the risk of ingestion.
                NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Yes, river crossings are out and a snorkel also makes a big difference when travelling dusty dirt roads.

I tried to get some info out of TJM this afternoon but no luck. All they would say is that have had a "set back" with development (whatever that means) and he didn't know any more.
                  thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                  1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

The setback is their test vehicle has not been available for a bit - reported by TJM head office in Geebung
                    NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Eastie View Post
                      The setback is their test vehicle has not been available for a bit - reported by TJM head office in Geebung
                      lol DPF problems maybe?
                      * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
                      * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
                      * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
                      * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
                      * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
                      * Pajero now sold!

Comment

I actually saw an NS in the used section at Agostino in Adelaide that had an ARB bullbar and snorkel fitted.

All I can say is that they better bloody well come out with one or else I'd consider getting out of the lease!
                        Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Schniff View Post
                          All I can say is that they better bloody well come out with one or else I'd consider getting out of the lease!
                          that would make it one very expensive snorkel !!
                          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Doesn't the triton have the same induction system? They didn't have any trouble with that. The ARB guy I spoke to said that it was due to the VGT causing problems. But other 4wds on the market have this turbo and snorkels are availible with no problems.

If this is true and there wont be one available for the Auto - it makes me curse my choice of vehicle. I bought the damn thing thinking I was going to put a snorkel on it so i could do crossings and play in the dust. Instead im stuck with a forward facing intake!

Comment

Has anyone actually had a engine failure or water in the air intake of their NS (or NM/NP for that matter) ? My NM and NS has seen its share of dusty roads and the air cleaner stays relatively clean, certainly much cleaner than the Series 1 and 2 Pajeros I have owned. Havent had the opportunity to do many deep water crossings, but the NS says 700mm fording in the brochure.
                              Just wondering, because I note that a mate with a Pajero with snorkle (NM Diesel) has more dust in his filter than mine without. His economy dropped and intake noise went up also.
                              I havent ever considered a snorkle for mine..
                              NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
                              NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X