Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NS Handbrake

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NS Handbrake

    I took the Paj in for service this morning and reported that if I gently pulled on the handbrake while rolling forwards at 10km/h, there would be a loud bang (like a hammer on metal) that you could feel through the floor.

    The service tech's response - "all cars do that, the handbrake is only for use while stationary". aaarrrrggghhhh

    After driving for 40 years and having owned all Pajeros from Gen I onwards I know this is NOT normal !

    Could others do this simple test and let me know if you hear any noise at all.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
    I took the Paj in for service this morning and reported that if I gently pulled on the handbrake while rolling forwards at 10km/h, there would be a loud bang (like a hammer on metal) that you could feel through the floor.

    The service tech's response - "all cars do that, the handbrake is only for use while stationary". aaarrrrggghhhh

    After driving for 40 years and having owned all Pajeros from Gen I onwards I know this is NOT normal !

    Could others do this simple test and let me know if you hear any noise at all.
    Haven't done the test yet but I find that on any sort of hill I have to pull the lever almost to vertical to get the car to hold. Had it adjusted at the last service but will need to get it done again as it's still not good.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

    Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Hookedon4wding View Post
      Haven't done the test yet but I find that on any sort of hill I have to pull the lever almost to vertical to get the car to hold. Had it adjusted at the last service but will need to get it done again as it's still not good.
      Mine came the same way on delivery, very under-adjusted.
      Sandgroper.
      NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

      Comment


      • #4
        Same here.
        Also not happy with the fact that auto shifter does not lock in park and keys can be removed without being in park. I never checked this when purchasing the car and since we live in the hills, I would have had second thoughts had I known.

        Comment


        • #5
          Exactly the same story here - despite various adjustments the hand brake doesn't hold the vehicle on hills unless the stick is vertical. From memory it also made the noise when I applied it while 'quietly' coasting down hill into a paddock with the engine off.
          NS oil burner shorty

          Comment


          • #6
            Drum brake

            My understanding is that the brake is a seperate drum brake and so on pulling the brake on the pads will engage at various unpredictable moments and angles and upon binding may cause the pad to bang against the drum. I can't believe that it would be such a severe bang and it may mean that the drum/pad clearance needs adjusting, this is a different adjustment to the cable tension on the handbrake I would think. Does anyone have access to a manual?

            It is quite normal practice to use the handbrake for slowing descents on steep inclines, at least this is the norm for most fourbys. If this is indeed the problem it would be unable to be used in this type of way.

            I have always had arguments with Mitsu about the amount of clicks to hold the vehicle stationary (NM and NP and now NS). I would test the vehicle on a steep incline with the number of clicks recommended and then if it doesn't hold, take it back to be adjusted. This is critical if you are in a four wheel driving situation, that may require you to get out of the vehicle to clear come debris in front of the vehicle, You can not rely on the park position to do this when walking in front of the vehicle.

            Realise also that such an adjustment is an extra and would be charged at 15-30 minutes labour.
            Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

            Comment


            • #7
              Just tested it

              Slow pull on while rolling and get a loudish bang out of each side as the brake comes on, once this happened the brakes stay on and slow the car as per a normal handbrake.

              On a 35-40 degree incline it takes 6 clicks to hold the vehicle in position, 7 if I engage Drive.

              Hope it helps.

              Regards

              Dan C
              Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jvrb View Post
                Same here.
                Also not happy with the fact that auto shifter does not lock in park and keys can be removed without being in park. I never checked this when purchasing the car and since we live in the hills, I would have had second thoughts had I known.
                Don't know of too many cars in Australia that work this way, Maybe SAAB and I see that Toyota Corollas have it now, it is mandatory in the US due to a case many years ago where somebody was crushed by their vehicle after Park was not engaged properly. In the US to disengage you need to have the brake pedal firmly pressed to allow the vehicle to disengage from Park.

                Frankly speaking, I don't have a problem with this feature missing, It was actually quite annoying when I had a rental in the US.

                Consider what the equivalent for a manual would be, would it be that you would only consider buying an Auto if you live in hilly country??
                Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

                Comment


                • #9
                  park brake diy

                  1.Pull the parking brake lever with a force of approx. 200 N and count the number of notches. Standard value: 6 - 7 notches

                  2.If the parking brake lever stroke is not the standard value, adjust as described below:

                  (1) Remove the cup holder, and then loosen the adjusting nut to move it to the cable rod end so that the cable will be free.
                  (2) Remove the rear wheels.
                  (3) Remove the adjustment hole plug of the rear brake disc, and then use a flat-tip (-) screwdriver to turn the adjuster in the direction of the arrow (the direction which expands the shoe) so that the disc will not rotate.
                  (4) Return the adjuster eight notches in the direction opposite to the direction of the arrow.
                  (5) Warning: If the parking brake lever stroke is below the standard value and the braking is too firm, the rear brakes may drag. Turn the adjusting nut to adjust the parking brake lever stroke to the standard value. After adjusting, check that there is no space between the adjusting nut and the parking brake lever.
                  (6) Release the parking brake and turn the rear wheels to check that the rear brakes are not dragging.



                  NS oil burner shorty

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How do you remove the cup holder without cracking the plastic?

                    I've tried this before and stopped because it felt like I was going to crack something
                    Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by danc12 View Post
                      Don't know of too many cars in Australia that work this way, Maybe SAAB and I see that Toyota Corollas have it now, it is mandatory in the US due to a case many years ago where somebody was crushed by their vehicle after Park was not engaged properly. In the US to disengage you need to have the brake pedal firmly pressed to allow the vehicle to disengage from Park.

                      Frankly speaking, I don't have a problem with this feature missing, It was actually quite annoying when I had a rental in the US.

                      Consider what the equivalent for a manual would be, would it be that you would only consider buying an Auto if you live in hilly country??
                      My previous GU Patrol (2001) was an automatic and had this feature, as does my wife's Astra. Before that I had manuals and always just left in gear.
                      Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it, but I have been caught out a couple of times.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I know the NS Handbrake works well in Reverse (without banging) - I have to use it every day.

                        I have to reverse down a very steep driveway and never used the handbrake with the Gen I and Gen II Pajero - until I got the NL with ABS. The front wheels would always skid, no matter how slowly I went. The Mitsubishi rep even came around, but still concluded there was nothing wrong with the vehicle.

                        Then I realised that when ABS was fitted they also had a brake force distribution valve, so they changed the brake force distribution to apply more force on the front axle. This works fine when travelling forward, but when reversing, there is no reduction of pressure on the front bakes and ABS doesn't work at slow speeds.

                        Reversing down a steep slope is worst case - the weight shifts off the front axle - which has strong force on it !

                        The solution was simple - pull the handbrake up a few notches to apply high brake force to the rear axle, then use the footbrake to apply light pressure on the front axle to control speed. Not quite as counterintuitive as landing a plane, where you use Elevator to control airspeed and Throttle to control vertical speed !
                        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          When I picked the car up they said they did nothing about the handbrake bang, because the other NS Pajeros did the same.

                          I am concerned, because there is a major shock loading occuring on the handbrakes when this bang happens.

                          I can only assume they've got the handbrake shoe mounts backwards, because there's no bang when you're rolling backwards.

                          Another danger is that if someone is using depending on the handbrake, when they hear and feel this loud bang they will release the handbrake, assuming something has broken. This was problem with early ABS systems which hammered the pedal - people would ease pressure thinking something was failing or the wheels were skidding.

                          Thanks to Danc and Eastie for confirming that their NS's are similarly defective.

                          Could others PLEASE do this VERY SIMPLE TEST and report the result.
                          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                            Could others PLEASE do this VERY SIMPLE TEST and report the result.
                            Handbrake applied in going forwards at slow speed - one or two clunking sounds.

                            Nothing in reverse.

                            Mikens
                            NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Rolling down hill, 10km/hr. Handbrake applied and no clunks or other noises. Reverse the same.

                              On a steep hill it needed 7-8 clicks before the car was stopped from rolling.

                              Cheers
                              Mitsubishi Pajero Platinum LWB Diesel 2012 towing AVAN Caravan the Liam 18ft adventure pack with ALKO AKS3004 coupling.

                              Comment

                              Matched content

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X