NS Keys and Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Keys and Locks

In another thread here, a discussion started about the Remote Control and Immobiliser functions of the key -
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...?t=1275&page=4

If you want to read about what happens if you lose the keys from a recent model car, look here -
    http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/....aspx%3fpn%3d1

That's why I really appreciated the third key that came with previous Pajeros - a really useful emergency key just for this sort of situation to save $1000 or so !
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Reading of that guy's experience in that thread, it's a good idea not to lose your keys!!
    In my previous vehicle I locked the keys in the car plenty of times, and became a pro breaking-in. In an even older car I had a key tied under the front bumber with some wire. In my first car, a 1975 Celica (great car) I could use a 5c piece to open the door!! In the NS, I don't have to worry about locking the keys in the car because I only use the remote control to lock and unlock.

It doesn't help if you lose your key, but I suppose that is what they figure the 2nd key is for. Doesn't help if it's not nearby though.

What I worry about is putting the kid in the car, giving her the key to hold while I strap her in, shutting the door and ......... Thats where a third key would be handy - save breaking a window anyway. (BTW if you were to break a window - would you break the windscreen as it would most easily be replaced? and perhaps even covered under my NRMA windscreen insurance?) Mikens
    NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by mikens View Post
      It doesn't help if you lose your key, but I suppose that is what they figure the 2nd key is for.
      . . . . . my wife has the 2nd key - except when she's going around grumbling "have you seen my carkeys"
      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
        In another thread here, a discussion started about the Remote Control and Immobiliser functions of the key -
        http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...?t=1275&page=4

If you want to read about what happens if you lose the keys from a recent model car, look here -
        http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/....aspx%3fpn%3d1

That's why I really appreciated the third key that came with previous Pajeros - a really useful emergency key just for this sort of situation to save $1000 or so !

Here are some Landrover-specific comments from teh Exploroz discussion -

"When your brother bought the car, there should have been a metal tag on the key ring with a number stamped onto it. Hopefully he has recorded this number somewhere. If you provide this number to a Landrover dealer, they can supply you with a new remote (radio) key which will operate all functions as the original key."
        - Have you carefully recorded the number from your metal tag, so if your keys get lost and you're in the middle of nowhere, you can order a replacement to be sent to you ?

"Failing this, if you provide a Landrover with the vehicle's VIN number (should be able to get this from rego papers), they should be able to provide you with a replacement emergency key (not radio). "
        - I wonder if this applies to Pajeros ?

"To disable the engine immobilizer and security system with a spare emergency key, you need to know the four number emergency key access code. This number is recorded on the vehicle's security information card. The process for entering this number is as described in a previous post in this thread, and is detailed on page 15 of the operator's manual for the D2."
        - I assume there is no such alternative for the Pajero. i.e if you don't have a valid immobiliser key, there is absolutely no way to start the car - so I'll be ordering the third key.

Comment

Hi
          Well it sounds as though the Landrover fellow has got a problem however I believe one way to reduce the likelihood of it happening is as follows.
          Have a plain steel key made for the car (I had one made for $8.00 for the NS) this key will open the door even give you the instrumentation light but will not crank and start the car. Give the key to your wife or attach it to the underside of the car. Hide the second original key inside the car and if you misplace the main original key use the $ 8.00 key to unlock the door and locate the hidden inside key to start the car with.
          If you do water sports the $8.00 key can came with you for a swim without any problems.

Cheers
          NS GLX DiD Manual, 2"Kings&Bilstein Shocks, Towbar, Smartbar, Steel Bashplates, BFGoodrich All-Terrain, Safary Snorkel, Dual Battery, Cargo Barrier, GME UHF, Engel Fridge.

Comment

Hi PajNo3,
            Having a steel key tied to car would help to get in if there is an emergency (eg locking kid in car) but giving the steel key to your wife to access a hidden key on the inside is one solution, but far too much hassle.

The reason is because you can only enable or disable the alarm using the remote key button.

I can imagine the wife using the steel key to unlock the car, only to have to scramble to find the hidden Mitsu key before the alarm goes off. A receipe for marital disaster!! Then at the end of the day when the wife is finished with the car, she won't be able to enable the alarm with the steel key.

The only easy fail safe solution that I can see is to get a third mitsu key (one for me, one for the wife and one extra), get a steel copy tied somewhere to car, hide the third mitsu key very well inside. Having said that, I'd be very hesitant to hide a key in the car as I don't think insurance companies would be too happy to pay a claim if your key is found in the ignition!!

Mikens
            NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

You can lose all your keys on any Mitsu and it won't cost thousands... just the cost of a replacement key, cut and coding.
              Even with late model Toyotas, who have the immobiliser integrated within the engine ECU, you can get the ECU's flashed, saving you from buying a new virgin computer!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X