UHF Radio : fitting in dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UHF Radio : fitting in dash

My GLX NS has a (useless) compartment below the radio/cd which looks as though it might be removeable and is about 'din' size - ideal for a GME TX4400.
    Has anyone removed this area of the dash, or actually installed a radio in there?
    Gromit ***********************************

White NS Manual LWB - Lotsa bits - more wanted

yups, it can be removed, I have a 1 din radio installed,
    2007 NS 3.2 did auto and 1999 NL 2.8 , .

Comment

dunkinx, could you please please tell me how you removed the dash to get to this area. Was it easy? I'm willing to have a go myself if it doesn't require any special tools, or the assistance of a contortionist to get under the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
        dunkinx, could you please please tell me how you removed the dash to get to this area. Was it easy? I'm willing to have a go myself if it doesn't require any special tools, or the assistance of a contortionist to get under the dash.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Image794.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	950983
        remove compartment

Name:	Image797.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	950984
        remove drivers side

Name:	Image798.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	950985
        remove center panel

Name:	Image799.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	950986
        your done, 1 din will fit nicely.

Name:	Image807.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	950987
        finished

this is how i did mine, sorry for the blurred pics.

owen
        Last edited by dunkinx; 06-01-08, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Hey, your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

I reckon those pics make it seem a lot easier than it is, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go, I reckon that is a great place to put the UHF.
          I think my GME 3200 is smaller than 1DIN, I wonder if they make a surround for it??
          thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
          1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Owen,
            I have had the glove box and the drivers side panel out but do you remember what you had to do to remove the centre panel?

Also, what did you attach the stereo head unit to? From what I can see, there is no frame aound that compartment.
            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
            1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the pics dunkinx. I think I'll have a go, but as Walker says, I reckon there's more to it than it seems from just a few pictures. Did you have a manual to go by? How long did it take you?

Comment

adam, I dont recall having a hard time removing the center console. after removing both sides, it was fairly easy to see how the center console was attached, mainly clips were used. it even took me longer to find the screws to remove the glove box, which were behind the wood trim.
                I only used the chassis that came with the radio, had no problems with rattles or CD skipping. 1 din fits exactly.

gromit. happy to help. it took around 2 hours, most of the time was spent looking for the clips. my car was just a weeks old when i installed the radio, was scared to break any clips. no manual just looked for the clips and screws.

Comment

Im putting an Icom 400 Pro in that space with the DIN installation kit. Im pretty sure GME make one for the 3220/3200 too.
                  Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the pics dunkinx. I think I'll have a go, but as Walker says, I reckon there's more to it than it seems from just a few pictures. Did you have a manual to go by? How long did it take you?
                    Drivers side -
                    - Remove panel between dash and door, starting at its rear edge
                    - Pull the narrow trim strip above the mirror switch directly out.
                    - Pull the trim strip on the left of the steering wheel directly out.
                    - Undo clips holding black panel above the pedals.
                    - Undo screws at the top and two screws at the bottom (one behind fuse cover) of the lower panel and pull this panel outwards.
                    - undo screw holding in lower center console

Passenger side -
                    - Remove panel between dash and door, starting at its rear edge
                    - Pull the narrow trim strip above the glovebox directly out.
                    - Undo clips holding black panel.
                    - Undo screws at the top and two screws at the bottom of the
                    glovebox and surround and pull outwards.
                    - undo screw holding in lower center console

Pull the lower centre console outwards.
                    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Thanks for these excellent instructions Mike.
                      Only one question - pulling the trim strips out - is there any special way of doing this, or do they simply pull out? i.e. did you need to get anything underneath them to get them started etc. I'd hate to do any damage to them.

Comment

You can easily get your fingers behind the outer edge of the left and far right ones, after you have removed the panels between dash and door.

The trim on the left of the steering wheel can be gripped near the steering wheel if you lift it to its highest postion.

The clips on all these panel are high-quality square ones which pull out without excessive force needed, and still hold the panels snugly when replacing them.

After you have undone the screws at the top of the Glovebox, there are still a couple of small clips that need to be lifted to release the top edge.
                        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Mike - I got up the courage to have a go at removing the trim on the dash of my 2 week old car (wanted to be sure I could get it off before ordering radio). It was a tricky job as they just would not come off by just trying to pull them out - eventually got a small flat screwdriver and very carefully pushed it up behind the trim and levered it out, using a rag as padding between the screwdriver and dash. Those suckers really grip, but I got them all out. I have now ordered the radio (a GME 4400). Thanks again for posting the instructions .

Comment

Sorry by the offtoppic but DUNKINX in your signature you say that your NS auto don't have the dpf installed.
                            Had you remove it?
                            Regards,

Enric
                            Barcelona, Spain
                            2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

Mike - I got up the courage to have a go at removing the trim on the dash of my 2 week old car (wanted to be sure I could get it off before ordering radio). It was a tricky job as they just would not come off by just trying to pull them out - eventually got a small flat screwdriver and very carefully pushed it up behind the trim and levered it out, using a rag as padding between the screwdriver and dash. Those suckers really grip, but I got them all out. I have now ordered the radio (a GME 4400). Thanks again for posting the instructions .

Did you have to remove the glovebox and drives side panel to remove the centre panel?
                              I have just ordered the DIN fitting kit for the 3200 so it should fill in the area nicely.
                              thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                              1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X