Tyre Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Repair

I found a nail in my rear left tyre, so i just changed it and took it into our local bridestone shop to see if they can fix it for me, and they reckon that they couldn't do anything!
    Is this right? i thought they would have been able to plug it or something similar.
    I tried to get to our other tyre dealer, but they had closed already.
    Not real happy if nothing can be done as the tyre has only done 5500 kms

Josh
    * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
    * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
    * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
    * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
    * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
    * Pajero now sold!

Is the hole in the sidewall? From my experience, I understand that it can't be fixed if there is damage to the sidewall. If the hole is in the tread section I didn't think there would be any problems with plugging it - unless its a really big hole or its really close to the edge of the tread! The only other thing that I thought prevents tyres from being able to be fixed is if you spray some of that tyre repair foam inside to plug the hole yourself - you don't want to do that if you want to get it repaired properly. Thats what i thought anyway, someone may be able to give a more technical explanation. Mikens
    Last edited by mikens; 05-01-08, 01:06 PM. Reason: grammar
    NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

Buy a Tubeless Tyre Repair kit and do it yourself - an important skill if travell in remote areas.

1. Ream out the hole with supplied tool
      2. Apply rubber cement
      3. Place repair insert in the tool and force into hole
      4. Remove tool
      5. Inflate tyre
      6. Smile all the way to the bank
      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

I have had that happen a few times, ie taken the tyre to one of those dealers and they reckon they can't fix it and are happy to sell me a new one.

On each time this has happened I took it to another place who fixed it in 10 minutes for $15-$20 and then had not further problems.

So shop around.

RIchard

Comment

Yes, as others have said. If the hole is in the tread then a repair is fine, if in the sidewall then most places will not repair it.

Mike, are you talking about the plugs for repairing the tyre? As far as I know plugs are ok for a temporary repair when outback but are not actually a legal repair. The hole should be patched from the inside when you get the opportunity.
          thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
          1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

The nail is on the corner.
            I was tinking about one of those kits, i just watched the 4wd monthly dvd and terry said that you should still get the tyre fixed when you get home, so perhaps i will shop around and see if i can get it done properly.
            By the sounds of things Mike, that kit you are talking about sounds a bit better. The ones i have seen just use the rubber inserts.
            I didn't put in any slime etc.. as the tyre wasn't going down, just wanted to get it fixed before it did.
            I will keep my eye out for one of those kits anyway, because like Mike said it would be very handy when out bush.
            Thanks for the help guys.

Josh
            Attached Files
            * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
            * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
            * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
            * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
            * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
            * Pajero now sold!

Comment

the corner where you have the puncture is the hardest working part of the tyre (gets the hottest). I would never repair in that location, especially if you will be doing 100km/h etc, it's just not worth your or someone else's life! buy a new tyre.
              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Last year on a trip to Alice Springs my tyre got a puncture around that side of the tyre in Woomera. Not a nail but seemed to be a stone cut.

I went to Buearepaires in Roxby Downs and they pulled the tyre off and fixed it but not with a plug.
                Like some of the others I was a bit concerned but the guy reckons it would be OK.

I was not driving a heavy 4WD then (just A Forester) but the tyre is still going OK. I was driving in some very hot conditions (40+) and went along the Oodnadatta track towing a camper without any problems (apart for busting my back window ). The trye was Coopers STE (road tyre)

As said before I would ask around but if the tyre guys reckon no good then follow their advice.

Rich

Comment

I've found the same thing - tyre places in the country will do a lot more to repair a tyre than those in the city.

If you want to buy some large sleeves and patches to keep for emergency repairs to tubeless tyres, you may have to buy them in the country rather than the city.
                  Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

While we are at it. If you are to repair a tyre you can use the plugs - these kits are relatively cheap.

However the bead breakers etc like R&R Beadbreaker are a lot more expensive

(re http://motorcare.com.au/recovery6.htm) for details.

These seem easier to use than other on the market.

With the risk of getting off the topic - has any one used these and/or have a comment on them.

RIch

Comment

Yes, I have used the plugs a couple of times. They are easy to use and work well. I have never had a leak after using them.

But on both kits I have it says that the tyre should be inspected by a professional and a proper inner tyre patch should be installed.

Personally I think the plugs would last for life but I would not like to stake a blowout on that thinking so I have always had them repaired properly when I arrive home.
                      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                      1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Hi. Been away but saw this thread and thought I should relate my experience.
                        Plugs should only be temporary and replaced with proper patch asap. I had to get a tyre repaired on my other car and took it to someone I had not used before. Did not realise it but they used a plug. Then short time later(about 3 weeks from memory) wanted to get new tyres and had Beaurepaires provide and fit them. They showed me the inside of the plugged tyre - it was very badly shredded by the end of the plug coming off inside the tyre and gouging the tyre. The guy reckoned I was very lucky as he thought within the next 50km driving they tyre would have blown which would have been a big problem at speed on the highway.
                        Anyway point is get patched properly and make sure they actually use patches and not plugs.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Yellowfin
                        NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
                        Toyota LC200 TD V8
                        - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowfin View Post
                          They showed me the inside of the plugged tyre - it was very badly shredded by the end of the plug coming off inside the tyre and gouging the tyre.
                          The plugs I've used are a soft fibrous material that couldn't damage anything.

What type of plug was it that caused this damage ?

Comment

As a family friend who owns a tyrepower franchisehas told me in the past, if it were up to him (in a business sense) he would not repair tyres at all.

The labour verses the cost is minimal to non existant. He can replace all 4 tyres and balance on 2 vehicles in the same time frame.

If a tyre place refuses to repair a (simple) puncture IMHO they are worth a wide birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrex View Post
                              The labour verses the cost is minimal to non existant. He can replace all 4 tyres and balance on 2 vehicles in the same time frame.
                              . . . . and if he sells a new tire, he has no worries about being sued if the repair fails.

They will obviously argue very hard to not repair your tire.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X