Exhaust Gas in Cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Gas in Cabin

NS Petrol Auto, 3 months old, 4000kms. Since new I have experienced intermitent exhaust (rotten egg) gas smell comming from the air con vents. All windows are closed as is the outside vents (recirculate). Happens mainly on open road from 80-100kmh. The smell may only last for a few seconds then nothing for 1 or 2 hours. Occures mainly when powering on or on load.
    So far Mitsubishi have checked but cant detect anything. has anybody else had same? It sounds similar to Jasonjules article in this listing.
    Waza.

Should have bought the diesel!

Is it a shorty or a longy?

I had a petrol NP and I recall under heavy acceleration sometimes you would get a whiff, I put it down to Aero dynamics and possible eddys behind the vehicle.
    Dan C; Stock NS Exceed DID Auto w T'bar, Magellan Explorist XL w DAST topo, Tom Tom One

Comment

Believe it or not my DID has done this on three occassions in the last 9 months .It is a rotten egg /fart type of smell and I have questioned my children re who is responsible for "letting a sneaky one rip" .I put the question to the dealer this week when I had the DPF done and they could not find any thing wrong .About all they did was clean /deoderise the air con ducts ,interesting to see if it happens again .Smell must obviously be coming from the exhaust system some where and drawn into the cabin.The smell is that BAD that I have to open the windows for a while to draw fresh air in .
      Have any other DID owners had this happen?
      2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Originally posted by waza View Post
        . . . . All windows are closed as is the outside vents (recirculate). Happens mainly on open road from 80-100kmh. . . . .
        Try it with the air intake set to Exterior - this will pressurise the interior and prevent exhaust fumes leaking.
        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Waza's Update

Thanks guys for the input. Been doing sum more thinking and come up with a therory. This is it. Two flowthrough air outlets are located in the cargo section. I pressureised the cabin using the air con flowthrough and located the external outlets under the vehicle. One on drivers side is a 40mm hole, but the one on the other side is in a caverty located next to the exhaust outlet. Sus that under certain conditions gas is being forced into the cabin, along the floor and into the air con intake. Well thats the therory anyway. Will do some testing by blocking the outlets for effect.
          Waza

Comment

On the early NPs there was problem where the rubber flaps on these air outlets would get bent over and allow air to leak in.
            Rocks bouncing off the inside of the bumper could do this because the outlets were on the corner of the body and exposed.

On the later NP's and the NS they relocated these to be further forward. I can't even reach them - how did you determine their size ?
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

get the dealer to sort it out, under no circumstance should fumes enter the cabin, i have never owned a car that does this nor does my ns. drop it off to them, pick up a loan car and get them to ring you when fixed.. this is safety issue, you may fall asleep and die
              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

I've read Wheels and Motor Mag reviews in the past about the Mazda RX8 sports car with the Rotary engine also having lots of fumes in the car. Never driven one myself, but apparently the rotary engine set up and exhaust system does allow engine fumes (petrol fumes?) into the cabin area and it was something that reviewers commented on, that buyers would need to be aware that the cabin does get fumes, and can be a smelly place. Anyone actually got a Mazda RX8 as their other car, and wish to comment? This would suggest that some cars do have this as something people have to live with.

However, in the case of the Pajero, it shouldn't -and like Mathew said, you should get it checked out - I certainly have not experienced any of the things you are describing with fumes in the cabin.
                Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

Waza's Reply

Thanks for input guys.
                  To Mike DiD, The outlets are quite easy to lacate. Lockup (seal) the cabin, turn AC to outside air (flowthrough) and on full fan speed. Then pop under the rear and you'll feel it. What goes in must come out.
                  To Matthewfnorbert: I have had it to the dealer twice. As a ex mechanic myself I understand that what you cant experience you cant always fix. My aim to identify conditions and events that are in common with the smell. Solving a mechanical problem is like solving a murder mystery. You need a body and lots of clues. Remember, this is not a regular occurence. Half a dozen times between Sydney and Brisbane for a few second bursts.
                  Thanks again
                  Waza

Comment

The Story Ends.

For anybody who might find this helpfull. Mitshbishi was no help at all. However after a lot of head scratching and testing it comes down to this. Behind the N/S/R bumper cowling there is the outlet for the fresh air flowthrough system. It's about 100mm X 250mm and has 2 light rubber flaps. I completley sealed this sucker off and guess what ---- no exhaust oders in the vehicle. The vent exhausts down under the guard close to the engine exhaust outlet (aprox. 300-400mm). I ashume turulence causes the vent flaps to open allowing gas to enter the cabin. What's important is it's fixed. I would expect it would also cause dust ingress for the off roaders also. Waza.

Comment

Also (if not above)

When the smell occurs - pull over open the bonnet and check for the smell from the battery.

When hot and/or overcharged and/or about to die - batteries typically give off a sulfur smell. Touch the side of the battery to check for heat.
                      --
                      Marquis
                      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Behind the N/S/R bumper cowling there is the outlet for the fresh air flowthrough system. It's about 100mm X 250mm and has 2 light rubber flaps.
                        Two flowthrough air outlets are located in the cargo section. I pressureised the cabin using the air con flowthrough and located the external outlets under the vehicle. One on drivers side is a 40mm hole, but the one on the other side is in a caverty located next to the exhaust outlet.

. . . are you talking about the same vents in these two messages ?

Comment

Waza's reply

Thanks for the extra input but have checked all that. This exhaust smell has been there from new and sealing the flow through outlet vent at the rear has completely stopped the smell. This may be worth checking for the guys that are still having trouble with dust ingress. Waza

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                            . . . are you talking about the same vents in these two messages ?
                            To Mike DiD. No. The vent I sealed is on the outside of the body. It is were the flowthrough air leaves the vehicle. It has been two months now with no smells, how sweat it is. Waza

Comment

Close but not complete.

Well it's been some time now and although the smell has reduced, we still get a pong on occasions. I believe I'm on the right track by blocking the main flowthrough outlet vent, but there must be others that I dont know about that still lets in fumes. My theory is, under load when most fumes are omitted there is a vortex at the rear that forces air/fumes into the cabin through the vents and circulated by the air conditioner to the front of the cabin. By colsing the main outlet vent I have mangaed to reduce the smell only. After a followup survey Mitsubishi are having another crack at the problem but have no real ideas. It seems that there has been no other cases reported to date.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X