Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel Rims for NS (im starting to regret buying a pajero!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Rims for NS (im starting to regret buying a pajero!!)

Hi all I hope you had a good christmas..

Has anyone looked at getting steel wheels for their paj, I have been looking for some and had no luck it seems mitsubishi dont want their pajero's being seen in the outback. I want to have a second set of wheels for going bush with to avoid damaging my ridicoulous 18" alloys. I was wanting steel because they can take a bit of punishment and as I use a R&R Beadbreaker even with the rim protectors it is still quite easy to damage a rim and at the replacement cost of ~$800 each its not worth the risk.

I did email a couple of companies and the only one that got back to me was King Wheels. The sales director Peter Weidemier said the 17" x 8" rims will only fit if you file a few mm's of the brake caliper bracket although he doesnt suggest it.
    It doesnt sound like a good idea to me either.

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly apprectiated.
    Frustrated
    p.s. Good on you mitsubishi for reinventing the shopping trolley.
    NW Pajero VR-X
    Currently stock

The 16" steel rims from NM/NP won't fit???
    Ben

Comment

17's should fit, my glx has them as standard.
      Steel rims must be a bit different for some reason.

Someone else might have a bit more of an idea??

Josh
      * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
      * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
      * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
      * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
      * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
      * Pajero now sold!

Comment

i to have had this problem, the only way that you can get steel rims to fit is the shave the break caliper as the inside of the rim has a little lip that wont clear, I have searched for the last 2 months to find steel rims and nothing. The only option I had was to contact wheelworks in bass victoria and they can modify the rims but I have not had time. Sorry I know this does not help but you are not the only one in this position.

Cheers
        Pajman
        SOLd NS GLX, 3.2 DID, MANUAL, ARB BAR, IPF SPOTLIGHTS X 4, REAR STORAGE SHEVLES, DVD, SAT NAV, OME 2 inch lift, Dual Battery and roof racks
        wishing :

Now driving

Mazda BT50, bullbar, spotlights, light bar and need so spend more.......

Comment

One thing I have noted is that a lot of other 4x4's do have 17" steel rims standard ie. prado and a few others is it possible that these would fit. Obviously one would have to somehow scratch the toyota badge off them if they had them though. lol
          NW Pajero VR-X
          Currently stock

Comment

just be careful of the offset, from my study I have not found 1 rim with the same offset as a pajero ns. If i remember corrrent the offset is about 32 and a prado is only 22....this is from memory so please dont take this as gospel.... also i think that the prado use a small disk and caliper.
            SOLd NS GLX, 3.2 DID, MANUAL, ARB BAR, IPF SPOTLIGHTS X 4, REAR STORAGE SHEVLES, DVD, SAT NAV, OME 2 inch lift, Dual Battery and roof racks
            wishing :

Now driving

Comment

Ive found most of the specs and the offset is 46mm which is just a bit insane to say the least. But I really appreciate your help on this pajman.
              (your not indian are you)
              hopefully we can find something that fits.

cheers
              Adrian
              NW Pajero VR-X
              Currently stock

Comment

if you have any luck please let me know as I am still looking....also last time i look I was not indian but afer summer could be Cheers
                wishing :

Now driving

Comment

I ordered a 2nd spare rim when i purchased my GLX and although it is an alloy not steel, it was a fraction of the cost of a genuine MM one. I am not sure what brand it is but i am sure there are quite a few aftermarket brands doing 17" alloys now. There was a recent review in 4WD Monthly on steel vs alloy rims and it appeared to me that the pro's outwayed the cons of alloy wheels depending on the application of course.
                  Phoenie
                  2009 NT Exceed Auto DID, Dual Batts, UHF, eXplorist XL GPS, ARB Steel Bar + ARB Fogs, HID X-Ray Vision 200's, Geolander AT-S's, Black Widow Rear Awning, Brake Controller, Evakool ED50, Aussie Swag camper

Comment

Ive now got all the specifications i think for the rims
                    17 x 7 (or even 8" might fit) 1/2JJ (dont know what this means) 46mm offset
                    NW Pajero VR-X
                    Currently stock

Comment

I contacted Wombat offroad in Victoria who reckon that they will have steel rims to suit the NS in a couple of months at a cost of 150-200 each.
                      I too am after 17 steelies to put on Cooper STs for offroad/touring.

I would suggest all who are interested to badger them via email to get them to hurry up!
                      Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Hi Folks,
                        You may be interested in giving 'performance Wheels' a ring, They make a rim called the TX-1, it is used quite extensively with 4WD Comp entrants as it is a really robust Alloy Rim with a decent load rating . They can be made in a whole range of sizes up to around 11'' wide from memory. We had some made for my old Discovery in 16x7, but you could give them a try.

They were around $130 / rim and you can have them powder coated in a few colours. Have a look on their website if you're interested :

www.performancewheels.com.au

Cheers,

Pug.

Comment

Hi again,
                          Edit to earlier post, Just checked their website & it's all new so they are not listed in the 4WD rims anymore....Have moved into the INDUSTRIAL section, which is what they always were...... as they seem to be all the rage these days as one of the best Trailer wheels for super heavy caravans (1400kg/rim load rating).

cheers,

Pug.

Comment

$130 for a made to order alloy rim seems a bit cheap, or did I not read the post correctly?

Comment

Brett,
                              No, that was'nt a typo $130 per rim was the price, i just bought a set of cooper st's at the same time from the retailer, but that did'nt affect the price. That was around 2 yrs ago, and at the time they were being sold in smaller volumes, but these days there are numerous caravan companies using them & if the price was increased to $150 you'd still have to be happy with that. One point i will make however is that, that price is not the ususal retail price but it did'nt take much negotiation or arm twisting to get it. Hope that helps,

Pug.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X