tow a camper trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tow a camper trailer

we a looking a buying off road camper trailer and I have noticed that there seem to many different ways inwhich the trailer is attached to the towbar, the normal way which is a tow ball and latch but many of these people talk about other ways. Can somebody please explain the different was ti hitch the trailer....

Cheers
    pajman
    SOLd NS GLX, 3.2 DID, MANUAL, ARB BAR, IPF SPOTLIGHTS X 4, REAR STORAGE SHEVLES, DVD, SAT NAV, OME 2 inch lift, Dual Battery and roof racks
    wishing :

Now driving

Mazda BT50, bullbar, spotlights, light bar and need so spend more.......

You are probably talking about off-road hitches, There are quite a few different types nowdays but they all basically work the same way.
    The tregg hitch is the most popular and they are used on off-road trailers and vans because they allow a lot more movement (up to 360 degree rotation)

Here is a good site and explains all the different types.

http://www.campertrailers.org/couplings.htm
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Tregg Hitch and Load Distribution Hitch

Pajman
      Be careful if you select a Tregg hitch and also use a load distribution hitch. A friend of mine has done so, and there is very little articulation available. The LDH touches the tregg hitch with relatively little wheel lock. This is mainly a problem when reversing. He has already broken (yes broken) one towing hitch.

Not an easy problem to fix once you have bought the trailer and LDH.

Hope this helps.
      05 Platinum Edition, DID, Auto, ARB Bar, dual battery.

Comment

I don't understand why you would use a LDH with a tregg, it totally defeats what the tregg is suposed to do. I would say that if it is necessary to use a LDH then you shouldn't be going offroad.
        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Good articulation without the risk of the CT seperating from the tow vehicle prematurely which you WILL find with a standard 50mm ball hitch.

The 'poly' within the Tregg acts as a vibration isolator too. If you've ever towed using a 50mm ball hitch, the noise and vibration that is transferred from the hitch to the tow vehicly is a real pain in the @$$.

Can be a bummer having to change the receiving part on the tow vehicle should you also want to tow anything else that still has a 50mm ball.

Can be difficult to couple CT to tow vehicle sometimes as the CT will have to be pushed in a foward motion to engage the coupling. This will be the case if your CT's heavy and or in sand, anything that makes it difficult to push.

Expensive, but worth the extra
          "Percussive Maintenance : The fine art of whacking the crap out of something to get it to work again"

Comment

Here is my Treg set up on my camper trailer.
            I agree with all Mr Grumble's comments.
            My rear door only clears the brake handle my millimetres (although does depend on the angle of the car/trailer).
            mikens

NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X