Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I have when towing on dirt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What should I have when towing on dirt

    Hi
    I have the SWB R model Diesel.

    At this stage I don't have a bar but am looking at a Smartbar (when money avaialble).

    When travelling I tow a Cub Offroad Camper around 700-800kg.

    I am planning a trip to Camerons Corner, down the STRZELECKI track and other trips like that.

    A couple of additions I am considering and would like advice if possible,

    Should I get better springs and shockers - if so any recommendations
    Should I look at getting any better under car protection - if so what and where from

    I am looking at getting some rear window protection - already done one in another car
    Thanks in advance,
    Rich

  • #2
    Originally posted by Rich View Post
    I am looking at getting some rear window protection - already done one in another car
    Thanks in advance,
    Rich
    If you protect the Rear Window, you will still end up with stone chips over the rear door.

    I drove 19,000km through Central Australia without a single mark on teh rear door by stretching shadecloth net between car and trailer.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

    Comment


    • #3
      MIke,
      Been thinking of that as well,

      Even though I got a broken window I did not get the stone chips (on a different car). But that may have been just luck.

      So do you have some pics of your set up as I reckon that is good solution. I have seen it before some where and have read of people doing it.

      Did you have to drill any holes in the Paj? I was wandering if you could not just trap it in the door.

      Any way if ya some pics I would like to see them.

      Thanks for the reply,

      Rich

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm interested too in getting a good solution to this. Be interested to see a pic of your set up Mikedid.

        For the moment I'm just going to use some signage (same material as real estate signs) cut to shape over the rear window. Won't be doing much dirt road driving on this first trip, but even on the tar I don't want any rocks hitting the rear window, thats my No1 concern for the moment. I didn't want to get the stone guard fitted to the trailer as it would have restricted the opening of the rear door. mikens
        NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll have to dig it out and photograph it.
          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

          Comment


          • #6
            Milkens,
            I have a stone guard futted and still managed to break a window.

            The synoch in me believes the stone bounced of the the metal part of the guard.

            I am looking for a window guard but Mike's solution would be good as it protects more.

            Rich

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rich View Post
              Milkens,
              I have a stone guard futted and still managed to break a window.

              The synoch in me believes the stone bounced of the the metal part of the guard.

              I am looking for a window guard but Mike's solution would be good as it protects more.

              Rich

              I think a window guard good insurance, even just a bit of ply.

              As for the stone deflector I have reverted back to the standard angled deflector on top of the drawbar.
              I made my own deflector, made of shadecloth which went under the drawbar between the car and the trailer. In theory this is a good idea and I think if you used the right material it would work. I just used shadecloth doubled over and it was not good enough. Many of the stones just went straight through it. I ended up with something that looked more like a sieve and a very sandblasted trailer.

              But if you do want to do it, I just used some aluminium tube inside the shadecloth and this was attached to the undernieth of the drawbar at the fron of the trailer. I then stitched in some more tube at the car end and attached this to the frame of the towbar using 4 occy straps. I think it needs a material more like a trampoline.

              For doing the roads you are talking about, upgrading your shocks is preferable but not necessary. Most of those roads are pretty good nowdays. If you are looking at doing stuff like the Oodnatatta track or the Plenty Hwy then upgraded shocks would be helpful.
              thanks,

              Adam

              2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
              1987 Range Rover Ute

              You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Walker View Post
                I think a window guard good insurance, even just a bit of ply.

                As for the stone deflector I have reverted back to the standard angled deflector on top of the drawbar.
                I made my own deflector, made of shadecloth which went under the drawbar between the car and the trailer. In theory this is a good idea and I think if you used the right material it would work. I just used shadecloth doubled over and it was not good enough. Many of the stones just went straight through it. I ended up with something that looked more like a sieve and a very sandblasted trailer.

                But if you do want to do it, I just used some aluminium tube inside the shadecloth and this was attached to the undernieth of the drawbar at the fron of the trailer. I then stitched in some more tube at the car end and attached this to the frame of the towbar using 4 occy straps. I think it needs a material more like a trampoline.

                For doing the roads you are talking about, upgrading your shocks is preferable but not necessary. Most of those roads are pretty good nowdays. If you are looking at doing stuff like the Oodnatatta track or the Plenty Hwy then upgraded shocks would be helpful.
                The Plenty Hwy is a much improved road nowadays and they're trying to make it all weather. Now the Donohue - well that's a different story

                Comment


                • #9
                  With respect to my other considerations,
                  do you reckon I need to get under car protection (eg bash plate) and better springs as towing?


                  Rich

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wal View Post
                    The Plenty Hwy is a much improved road nowadays and they're trying to make it all weather. Now the Donohue - well that's a different story
                    When were you last on the Plenty? I know parts of it are pretty good but wee did the section from Jervois to the sealed Road and it was one of the worst sections I have ever driven on.
                    thanks,

                    Adam

                    2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                    1987 Range Rover Ute

                    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      Jervois to the sealed Road and it was one of the worst sections I have ever driven on.
                      So you haven't been up cape york yet then?

                      Plenty/Don is fairly good when compared. I did it mid 2007 (part of the simpson trip).
                      --
                      Marquis
                      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No. 2009 is the Cape trip.
                        thanks,

                        Adam

                        2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                        1987 Range Rover Ute

                        You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Done about half the 15000ks on my NS shorty towing my 1 tonne offroad trailer. Suspension settles down about 30mm when trailer is hitched, but even travelling (2 adults / 2 kids) the shorty does an admirable job towing on its standard suspension. Suspension kit on the 'nice to have' / not the 'must have' list for me..
                          NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
                          NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            2800...,
                            Thanks for that. I have towed mine to Bourke,Lightning Ridge, but that was mostly bitumen.

                            Was wandering if hitting some rough roads how the standard would go?

                            ie springs and under car protection

                            Rich

                            Comment

                            Matched content

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X