Help - removal of rear wiper arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - removal of rear wiper arm

Does anyone know whether the rear wiper arm can be easily removed and reattached?

If so, how?

I'm just making up a rear window protection screen, and as I have a rear dust deflector fitted, it is difficult to fit the protection screen under the wiper arm and under the deflector at the same time. The material I'm using is a like a real estate sign, but extra heavy duty - so there is not a lot of flex in it. Removing the wiper arm, fitting the screen on under the deflector and then reattaching it seems to be the easiest option - if it is possible.

Thanks for your help.

Mikens
    NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

have you tried pulling off the interior panel behind it??
    they usually just have 1 or 2 bolts holding them on.

Cheers
    Adrian
    NW Pajero VR-X
    Currently stock

Comment

Thanks Adrian, but the interior panel spans the whole width of the door so too difficult to do. I just wanted to know whether there was a trick to pulling the wiper arm off and attach it again.

Not to worry, Plan B is on its way, just cutting more out of the protection screen just above the wiper blade and so the top of the screen should clear the deflector.

Mikens
      NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

I imagine that the rear wiper arrangement is not too much different between the NP and the NS. I have an 05 NP. If you look at the rear wiper there is a black cover at the base of the wiper about 6-8 cms long. It has a circular base and extends a short distance up the wiper. This can be removed with not too much effort. Underneath this you will see the nut that holds the wiper to the motor. Unscrew this nut, pull the wiper towards you (it should come off with a bit of wriggling) and then replace the nut. Voila - no rear wiper. I always remove this when I go off road so that I don't bugger up the back screen.

Comment

Wal, you are absolutely right - there is a small plastic cover that easily comes off, with the nut just under. Thanks for that, I thought there would be a trick to it (although I did execute my plan B with no troubles). If down the track I end up getting a polycarbonate screen if/when they become available, I will probably have to take the wiper arm off in the way you suggest, otherwise the dust deflector gets in the way.

Can I ask you Wal, why do you always remove your rear wiper blade when going off road - is it just so you don't accidently 'clean' the widow and scratch it with all the mud/dust? Or are you talking about accidently turning it on when the rear protection screen is on? Keeping the arm on assists a little with holding the protection screen in place (as well as the velcro).

I'll try to post a photo sometime of what I've done.

mikens

Comment

Originally posted by mikens View Post
            Wal, you are absolutely right - there is a small plastic cover that easily comes off, with the nut just under. Thanks for that, I thought there would be a trick to it (although I did execute my plan B with no troubles). If down the track I end up getting a polycarbonate screen if/when they become available, I will probably have to take the wiper arm off in the way you suggest, otherwise the dust deflector gets in the way.

Can I ask you Wal, why do you always remove your rear wiper blade when going off road - is it just so you don't accidently 'clean' the widow and scratch it with all the mud/dust? Or are you talking about accidently turning it on when the rear protection screen is on? Keeping the arm on assists a little with holding the protection screen in place (as well as the velcro).

I'll try to post a photo sometime of what I've done.

mikens
            My Paj is a GLX and doesn't have the deflector at the top rear of the vehicle which the Exceed has. This deflector means that your rear wind screen doesn't pick up the spray from wet roads. Without the deflector wet roads cover the rear screen with either water (in rainy conditions) or mud if you're on the dirt. It would be quite easy to accidentally operate the rear wiper and with any form of grit it would scratch. It also makes it easier to put put cardboard across the screen (if you're towing). I agree that with cardboard across the rear screen not removing the wiper is advantageous.

Comment

Here is my set up with my camper trailer.

The photos should show my DIY rear protection screen, made out of some sort of plastic material a mate had - like a heavy duty real estate sign, except it is clearish, so the brake light shines through. It should protect from any rocks. Perhaps a polycarbonate on its way. The rear dust deflector made it a little tricky (Note - this is not the spoiler as standard on VRX and Exceed 0 it is the dust deflector as an option on my GLX).

My treg coupling with the rear door opeing (just millimetres clearance over the brake handle which I had to trim down). Note the treg coupling built at the same level of the drawbars - this was so I could open the rear door and keep the trailer clearence as high as possible.

I might end up putting these trailer photos in another thread, as I just wanted to show my set up with the DIY rear protection screen in this thread.

mikens

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X