Dual Battery Set up Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Battery Set up Help Needed

This weekend I am going to install a dual battery system on the NS LWB and since joining the forum I have found that it does not heard to ask people about help... I have noticed that alot of people are already dual battery system and which one to people prefer. I have an isolator system from my old hilux (sorry), but was warned not to install this because of the new types of motors.

Can I please have some advise......

Cheers Pajman
    SOLd NS GLX, 3.2 DID, MANUAL, ARB BAR, IPF SPOTLIGHTS X 4, REAR STORAGE SHEVLES, DVD, SAT NAV, OME 2 inch lift, Dual Battery and roof racks
    wishing :

Now driving

Mazda BT50, bullbar, spotlights, light bar and need so spend more.......

Sorry Forgot to say it is a 3.2 NS Manual.....
    SOLd NS GLX, 3.2 DID, MANUAL, ARB BAR, IPF SPOTLIGHTS X 4, REAR STORAGE SHEVLES, DVD, SAT NAV, OME 2 inch lift, Dual Battery and roof racks
    wishing :

Now driving

Comment

I'm still working on my install - is there any particular area you're wanting help.
      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
        I'm still working on my install - is there any particular area you're wanting help.
        I have thought of putting the battery in the far left hand corner as this seems the be the only place it will fit, I also think I might need to use a deep cycle battery because of the space.... I have been told the the solinode version in not compatiable with DID and might play up on the electrical side, so I thought I would find out what other NS owners are using ie ARB, TJM etc... I have seen many different versions advertised and this morning in out paper supercheap had a big advert sell them.

So what I need to know is that will the solenode version work or will have have to be an electronic system, also is there any other place it can be located.

Cheers
        wishing :

Now driving

Comment

Several years ago I bought a Mitsubishi battery tray that's used for the second battery in Japan. With some minor mods it fits the NS, but maximum battery size is 10 inch (N50)- unless you want to bend the aircon pipes ! I'm putting in a Remco RM80 80amphour AGM.

The person telling you a solenoid isolator wouldn't work in a Pajero was lying to you, so you would spend more money at his place.

I bought an OEX Isolator off ebay ($90 - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/INTELLIGENT-D...QQcmdZViewItem) because it senses the Auxiliary as well as the Main battery voltage. It has an LED and remote switch to manually activate the solenoid for dual-battery starting or winching. Spending more is a ripoff and will not charge your Auxiliary any faster.
          Last edited by Mike DiD; 15-01-08, 12:48 PM.
          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Dual Battery

Pajman

I installed a TJM dual battery system. It is installed in the back corner, solenoid isolator, in a DID. The whole system works fine, has been used on several long trips with caravan, Engel fridge etc. No problems.

When choosing a battery, I suggest you do not use a deep cycle battery as they are not intended for heavy current draw in case you want to start the vehicle with it at some point. There are hybrid batteries available which are a compromise. They provide deep cycle and have sufficient cranking current to start the vehicle without damage to the battery.
            05 Platinum Edition, DID, Auto, ARB Bar, dual battery.

Comment

My personal experience is that a deep cycle will start the vehicle if fully charged and if used sparingly-- I have used ours twice when the main battery was down (on the NS when I left the doors open and on the NM when the main battery failed). Just jumpered from aux to main.
              Rusty
              2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
              Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
              2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                Pajman When choosing a battery, I suggest you do not use a deep cycle battery as they are not intended for heavy current draw in case you want to start the vehicle with it at some point.
                I would never buy a wetcell deepcycle because they are so slow to charge up.

An AGM battery offers the deepcycle capability as well as providing for high starting currents, along with easy charging requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                  I have used ours twice when the main battery was down (on the NS when I left the doors open
                  How did you do that - the NS has timers to turn off the lights after 30 minutes if you leave them open.

At last ! A Pajero that's been designed for people who go camping and leave the doors open.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                    How did you do that - the NS has timers to turn off the lights after 30 minutes if you leave them open.

At last ! A Pajero that's been designed for people who go camping and leave the doors open.

Thannks for that, learnt something new today about the headlights, mike did if possible can you please post some photos after you have installed your dual system. Just wany to see.

I have also emailed some questions to a ebay seller about there dual battery system, once i get a repy I will post it

Cheers
                    Pajman
                    wishing :

Now driving

Comment

It will turn the interior lights off if you leave the doors open - it won't turn the headlights off.

I don't know why it doesn't have automatic headlights - it has a light sensor already - Commodores have it.

Comment

There is i thread on here called

NS Petrol Dual Batteries a few guys including myself have added to.
                        Most the kits can be used for diesels as well. But with diesels you normally make the aux battery the N70 instead of the main.
                        ROGUE PAJ Daniel NS X SWB V6 Pajero ARB Bull Bar, IPF 800XS Spotties, GME TX3420 CB, Dual Batteries, Custom Roof Rack, ROH RTX 16" Rims, 265 75R16 BFGoodrich A/T, 35mm Dobinson coil lift

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue Paj View Post
                          There is i thread on here called

NS Petrol Dual Batteries a few guys including myself have added to.
                          Most the kits can be used for diesels as well. But with diesels you normally make the aux battery the N70 instead of the main.
                          Thanks for the help, this is what I needed, I can see what my project this weekend will be...

The pictures make life really easy and are very helpful..

Cheers Pajman
                          wishing :

Now driving

Comment

be careful, some N70 Batteries won't fit the Piranha battery tray - I found this out when I did mine, it was a few mm too short. I modified the battery tray to make the battery fit (using a Gel Battery).

I used the Projecta electronic isolator

http://www.projecta.com.au/catalogue/cid/23/asset_id/53

Works well and came with everything needed in the kit - can buy off Ebay quite cheaply from a company based in QLD.
                            NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmo View Post
                              be careful, some N70 Batteries won't fit the Piranha battery tray - I found this out when I did mine, it was a few mm too short. I modified the battery tray to make the battery fit (using a Gel Battery).
                              Hi,
                              Can you tell me how big the battery was ? I have a 80 Amphr AGM battery that is 10.25 " long and I'm hoping that with a bit of subtle persuasion (i.e. hammer ) it can be made to fit.

Thanks Jeff.
                              NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, BFG AT/KO's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Auxillary Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X