Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel economy, Service & ECU/DPF Chip Reprogram

Hi,
    Set off for Melbourne in my Aug build NS diesel Exceed towing a 2250 kG 4 wheel, full-height caravan.
    The ECU/DPF Chip reprogram had not been carried out.
    Car had 2000 kM on the clock when trip started.
    Have never experienced the DPF light coming on (before, during or after trip).
    Generally I sit on about 80 to 90 kM/hour when towing van. I left transmission in Auto all the time.
    Included on trip down was a tow through King Valley, up over Mt Hotham and via many vineyards :-).
    Economy for the trip down (about 4000kM total) was 16.5 L/100kM.
    Economy for the trip back (about 3000 kM) was 18 L/100kM.
    Overall, 17.2 L/100kM.
    Return trip had a few dozen wine on board (heavy stuff....).
    Overall, I am impressed with the economy towing the van. Incidentally, it is approximately the same economy I got out of my previous 1993 NJ manual diesel Pajero when towing the same van.
    The 7000 kM service was carried out in Frankston Vic (not overly impressed with service - expensive $314.65, and they changed the oil filter as well as claimed the reason for the expense was that they checked everything including battery terminals etc....) Well, after service battery terminals showed built-up corrosion so they didn't check that. Lord knows what else they did or did not do.
    They advised they carried out the ECU/DPF Chip reprogram. Car is definately quieter but I cannot detect any improvement in power. Note that the return trip (after the DPF chip upgrade) was not as fuel efficient as before the chip upgrade - yes.. i know there are too many variables to be accurate but it is an interesting observation.
    Since arriving home seem to get about 9.4 L/100kM when traveling on freeways at about 100 to 110 kM/hour and about 13 L/100kM around town (car empty, not towing).
    Comments: The Exceed is a nice towing vehicle.
    Best regards, Fred
    NS Exceed DiD, 08/2007 build, Hayman Reece Towbar & Hitch, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, GME TX3440 UHF, TJM dual battery tray, TJM 0321BSKIT dual battery Controller, Supercharge deep cycle/starting capability second battery, Milford rear cargo barrier, ECB alloy bullbar.

Originally posted by freddysolar View Post
    . . . The 7000 kM service was carried out in Frankston Vic (not overly impressed with service - expensive $314.65, and they changed the oil filter as well as claimed the reason for the expense was that they checked everything including battery terminals etc....)
    . . . .
    Yep, got stung the same way at Alto . As they are a Mitsu Dealer I assumed that when I asked them to do the 7,5000 Oil Change they would do it as in the service.

Next time I will warn them that I want servicing done exactly as per Mitsu Service Book and I will not be paying for unauthorised work.

You can imagine how pi..ed I was when I glanced under the front yesterday to find the sump guard hanging on by three loose bolts - what else did the apprentice forget to tighten up ? They expect me to trust them to remove the Injector plumbing so they can do the Tappets adjustment ?
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

write to the dealer principal
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Telling them to do it by the book makes no difference. When I booked mine in for the 7500 km oil change, I specifically said I was booking it in for JUST the oil change as specified in the manual, not a full service as I had not been pushing the car hard and did not require that kind of service. So, like you, I was rather shocked at the $340 bill. Firstly they tried to tell me they were only following the book until I showed them the page that specially says the 7500 is only the oil and nothing else, and then they brushed that off, as "Oh we always change the oil filter irrespective of what the manual says, and we check all the bits and pieces, brakes etc". The main problem I have is that I booked it in for just an oil change, and tried to get this concept across to the woman on the phone a couple of days previously, but I did not stay there to observe and insist that was what they did on the day I dropped it off. If you do a lot of towing you are supposed to get full services done every 7500 km, and not every 15000, and this was why I was pushing the concept of oil only down the phone, because what they did with a full service was exactly what I was afraid they were going to do, unless it was explained to them - except they ignored me and did it anyway. Even though this was the service section of the yard I bought the car from, I was not impressed with them going against my wishes, and will be looking elsewhere for the 12 month service. Anyway, $340 for oil and filter only with a few bolts checked - seems a bit of a con. They showed me a page with the costs for 12 through 36 months, and the charges just keep going up and up. In terms of what is done to the car, I think the 12 month one is no different to the 6 month, with just oil and filter and the retail charge from the dealer is $445. The 24 and 36 month ones were over $800 each. If you have a manual it is cheaper, and considerably cheaper again for the petrol ones.
        I will try and do my own interum oil changes at the 1.5, 2.5 year marks in teh future as they are not in the service book, but I think there are warranty issues if you do not get the service manual ones done professionally at 6, 12, 24, 36 and so on months.
        This appears to be how they can give their 5/10 warranty. Everyone would have paid for 1/2 the cost of a new engine by 5 years with their fee structure.
        Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

Sounds like you guys need to move to Adelaide. My 7500km service at Agostino Nailsworth only cost me $160 from memory, 60 of that was for oil. According to the invoice printout they did everything in the book.
          Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Although I have a petrol 3.8V6 the most I have paid for a service is $250 and they come to me, no dropping the car off anywhere. As for optional services for petrol at 7500km intervals my dealer told me I can do them myself as long as the sump plug doesnt fall out somewhere my car will still be covered by warranty.

Cheers
            Adrian
            NW Pajero VR-X
            Currently stock

Comment

Originally posted by Nova Artist View Post
              I will try and do my own interum oil changes at the 1.5, 2.5 year marks in teh future as they are not in the service book, but I think there are warranty issues if you do not get the service manual ones done professionally at 6, 12, 24, 36 and so on months.
              I have changed the oil at the 7500km interval on my NP DID since i bought it. I know for sure that the guard bolts and sump plug will be done up properly. If they aren't i know whose bottom to kick
              I didn't bother marking them off in the service book as i figured at some stage it might "be taken down and used in evidence ".... however now that the warranty has expired (i only had 3 years) i can do what i wish with the servicing though it probably won't change much i'll do the oil at 7500 ... generic service centre for the 15k & 30 k and MMAL for the 45k ... parts and fluids supplied by me

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X