Christmas trip Adelaide to Perth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas trip Adelaide to Perth.

We took the new NS pajero across the Nullabor pulling the caravan over Christmas, I now have a 2 month old car with 14000 km on it. Pulling the van from Adelaide to Perth I got about 13.5 l per 100, but on the way back it was a little worse at about 14.5 l per 100. If I slowed down it may be a bit better.
    We also did some 4wd over in Perth in Gnangara, Tooday and Collie. The MATT works a treat, makes up for the lack of Articulation. I also got to use the winch for the first time.

I've posted a couple of photo's from 4wd'ing in Collie.
    Attached Files
    2007 Black NS DiD Pajero LWB.
    ARB air compressor, Dual batteries (Redarc)
    ARB Bar, Warn Winch, Uniden UHF015sx, tow bar 2" lift lightforce XGT's.

Good stuff Tom.
    Sounds like you had a great trip.
    Fuel sounds about right for towing a caravan hay?

For interest, what winch do you have?

Cheers
    Josh
    * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
    * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
    * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
    * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
    * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
    * Pajero now sold!

Comment

I've got a WARN M8000 lb winch I've got to mount an isolation switch for it yet, and maybe an in cab controller.

Comment

Ok cool Tom,
        A winch is on my wish list, i'll more than likely get one in the next 6-12 months.
        * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
        * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
        * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
        * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
        * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
        * Pajero now sold!

Comment

I've got to finish off my dual battery installation next, then a 2" lift follows that. It will help a heap with all of the scrapes that the poor old girl recieves.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom80 View Post
            We took the new NS pajero across the Nullabor pulling the caravan over Christmas, I now have a 2 month old car with 14000 km on it. Pulling the van from Adelaide to Perth I got about 13.5 l per 100, but on the way back it was a little worse at about 14.5 l per 100. If I slowed down it may be a bit better.
            We also did some 4wd over in Perth in Gnangara, Tooday and Collie. The MATT works a treat, makes up for the lack of Articulation. I also got to use the winch for the first time.

I've posted a couple of photo's from 4wd'ing in Collie.
            Hi,
            Lots of other relevant factors need to be known to get a feel for your fuel economy observations:
            1. What gross weight for the van?
            2. Was the vehicle heavily loaded (ie, lots of passengers, portable fridge, fuel containers etc.)
            3. Full size van or pop-top? (full size van has greater wind resistance)
            4. 2 or 4 wheel wheel van? (more rubber on the road has higher rolling resistance)
            5. What were the approximate van and towing vehicle tyre pressures? (higher pressures give better fuel economy)
            6. What was (roughly) your average towing speed?
            7. Did you use a lot of cruise control? (head winds play havoc with fuel economy when using cruise control)
            8. Nullabor is notoriously windy (either with or against your travel direction). One would assume from your results you may have had a fairly even head-wind distribution in either direction.

Don't want to sound pedantic, but a little more info would help.
            Best regards, Fred
            NS Exceed DiD, 08/2007 build, Hayman Reece Towbar & Hitch, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, GME TX3440 UHF, TJM dual battery tray, TJM 0321BSKIT dual battery Controller, Supercharge deep cycle/starting capability second battery, Milford rear cargo barrier, ECB alloy bullbar.

Comment

Looks like a fun trip...thanks for the pics.
              03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Fred.
                yep, well for starters it's a GLX NS diesel pulling a pop-top jayco eagle outback (single axle-sits just above the roof line of the pajero), about 1300+kg, car was loaded with 5 people and luggage, (full load) it has an ARB bull bar and winch weighing it down. It was super windy (cross and headwind) on the way back over the nullabor and pretty much still on the way over. I was running (front to back axle's) 38/40/38 psi. I used cruise control the whole way (thank god) averaging about 110kmh.
                I found if i slowed down to about 95kmh i could get about 12l per 100 and if i was behind a truck doing 105kmh i would get about 11 l per 100.
                Hope this helps.
                Tom.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed your trip to our side of the country.
                  NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Fred.
                    yep, well for starters it's a GLX NS diesel pulling a pop-top jayco eagle outback (single axle-sits just above the roof line of the pajero), about 1300+kg, car was loaded with 5 people and luggage, (full load) it has an ARB bull bar and winch weighing it down. It was super windy (cross and headwind) on the way back over the nullabor and pretty much still on the way over. I was running (front to back axle's) 38/40/38 psi. I used cruise control the whole way (thank god) averaging about 110kmh.
                    I found if i slowed down to about 95kmh i could get about 12l per 100 and if i was behind a truck doing 105kmh i would get about 11 l per 100.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Tom.
                    Thanks Tom, Your economy with that load is outstanding. Regards, Fred
                    NS Exceed DiD, 08/2007 build, Hayman Reece Towbar & Hitch, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, GME TX3440 UHF, TJM dual battery tray, TJM 0321BSKIT dual battery Controller, Supercharge deep cycle/starting capability second battery, Milford rear cargo barrier, ECB alloy bullbar.

Comment

I second the thoughts about the outstanding economy. I get about the same with a NS and offroad camper. Is yours a Manual Trans by chance? Mines the compulsory A/T for the shorty DID.
                      NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
                      NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

Fred.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Tom.
                        Manual or Auto tranny?
                        NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Wilmo and 2800itdnm,
                          I have a manual transmission and love it.
                          My last car was a auto and it seemed to hunt for gears randomly.
                          Cheers
                          Tom

Comment

hey tom
                            I am thinking about buying a jayco pop top outback like yours for a few long trips ,,,how do you rate it?? any probs are they as brilliant as i dream they are ?? and have you found any mods to be necessary?? besides maybe tyres that match the cars
                            cheers mate,,,,,cam
                            NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

Hi TOM

We are about to set off around Australia for 5 or more years I have a 2007 GLX NS DiD and the van we are waiting on (due in 3 weeks) is a Coromal Lifestyle L700s 7mtr x 2.4mtr it is our house as we sold everything we owned and will travel Australia until we are ready to settle or find somewhere real nice. My daughter is 6 and will be schooled in the van by my wife and I and we (me according to my wife), will work as we go. I have done the Winch Bar, Tint, Side steps, Dual battery and I am in the middle of wiring for the van (charge wire) at the moment as well as the usual compressor, snatch strap and other stuff (I love 4x4 shopping).

Can?t Wait?..Cheers
                              RG Colorado with all the extras (the wife is awesome)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X