Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pajero WRITTEN OFF!!

Hi All,

Just survived a frightening crash on Sunday evening where, in our NP DiD manual on a wet / slippery bitumen road, my wife activated the "RESUME" mode of our cruise control, after passing through a small rural township @ 50Kph, to return to the 100Kph that she had the cruise set at.

As soon as the cruise "resume" was activated the turbo cut in and the Paj commenced accellerating back to 100kph. Before it could attain that speed (at approx 80Kph) it was accellerating hard enough to break traction on the rear tyres, on the wet road as we were turning a curve, the rear oversteered until we were almost sideways, my wife touched the brakes to cancell the cruise (which made the Paj oversteer worse, then over-corrected back the other way, then it rolled several times along the road coming to rest on it's wheels across the centre of the roadway!!

The issue I have with this is, on several occasions previously, I have thought that when acivating the "resume" button on the cruise that the DiD manual Paj actually accellerates harder than I would normally do, using the accellerator! Because of this I usually accellerate back to close to the speed I wish to attain and then hit resume. Unfortunately on this occasion my wife didn't do this.

The combination that existed on Sunday evening of a wet road, turning a corner on the highway and only using rear wheel drive (with no traction control available in an early 2003 DiD manual) IS A VERY DANGEROUS COMBINATION that owners should be made aware of in the operators manual.

As my manual was lost in the accident, can anyone advise if it actually has any warnings regarding not using the resume button on wet slippery surfaces??

For the guys with the later NP / NS versions, with traction control, do your vehicles continue to accellerate rapidly or does the traction control then regulate the amount of accelleration to maintain traction of the rear tyres on slippery surfaces?

Dennis.

Man I am sorry that this happened to you but glad to hear that everything is OK and no one was seriously hurt. It sucks that this happened but a general rule at least when I was taught in getting my license and even lately when I went and got my Commercial Drivers License is NEVER use cruise control on wet slippery surfaces. Cause just what you had happen is likely. In my Paj though I dont even think twice about it because you always think "What are the chances that it will happen to me?","It wont happen to me!". Again I am sorry that this happened to you.
    03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

glad you are ok (are you?)

roads can be deceptively slippery at which times and a light tap on the throttle can cause this. we love our gadgets but the gadgets don't know the road is wet or you are on a bend. thanks for heads up.

poses the question, do most people go to full time 4wd when the going gets wet? I usually do having had 2 fulltime 4wd trucks before and the security is great. have not really noticed any effect on fuel consumption.
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

That was a frightening and dangerous experience that you went through - it's a credit to modern car safety design that you got out of it with no serious injuries.

Being in a Pajero would help in a roll because there is so much space around you before your head hits something - if I stretch my arm I can reach the top of the windshield. Sitting in a friends BMW my forehead, was inches from the top of the windscreen - I realised why it was so important to have airbags in small cars.

The rule that my wife and I use is that we go into 4H as soon as the road is wet, or windy, or narrow or has a broken surface - that's what it's there for.

I've never had a Manual with Cruise Control, but in the NP DiD Auto I found the acceleration on Cruise Control to be quite gentle. Perhaps the gentler acceleration in an Auto would have prevented loss of traction ?

This type of skid is exactly what the Automatic Stability Control in current Pajeros is designed to pull you out of. It does this by applying the brakes on one wheel to help straighten up the car - something even the most skilled driver can't do.
        Last edited by Mike DiD; 23-01-08, 09:41 AM.
        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Really sorry to hear about your accident. Hope that everyone is ok.

To asnwer your questions, there is a caution note in the manual that says:
          "Cruise control is not recommended when driving conditions will not allow you to stay at the same speed, such as in heavy traffic or on roads that are winding, icy, snow-covered, wet or slippery, or on a steep downhill" - Page 4-70 of the NS Manual.
          We also have a late model NP and a NS in the household, both diesel auto's and when the Resume button is pushed, the speed comes back up very gently. Much more gently than the Honda Accord Euro that I used to own or the work's Holden Commodore that I used to drive.
          NS 3.2L Diesel Black Shortie
          Nudge Bar, Roof Rack, Piranha Duel Battery System, Uniden UH015sx UHF, Hella Rallye 4000 Lights, LRA Aux Tank, ARB High Output Compressor, BFG Mudies (Occasionally)

Comment

Dennis, glad to hear you and your wife are OK.
            Our NM DiD manual was the same, acceleration with cruise control was full throttle. Our NS DiD manual is unfortunately the same as well, I don't understand that with all the computer technology on-board MM can't make the car accelerate at a more moderate pace!
            Our NM was like your early NP with no traction control etc, so we would always use 4H on wet or unsealed roads and never use cruise control on slippery roads.
            At least the Paj is self righting after an accident
            Sandgroper.
            NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
              The rule that my wife and I use is that we go into 4H as soon as the road is wet, or windy, or narrow or has a broken surface - that's what it's there for.
              Ditto - I run in 2wd most of the time, but as soon as there is any potential loss of traction (wet roads / loose bitumen on country roads / etc), I always drop into 4H.

I think you guys got lucky though, the outcome of that could have been so much worse.
              Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
              Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
              Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

I thought rule of thumb was to NEVER use cruise control in the wet. For the obvious reason... The cruise control doesn't know the road is wet. It can't tell if the tyres are losing traction. It will just keep accelerating. I never use the cruise control to accelerate to the desired speed for the very reason you described "accelerating very hard".
                Glad you and your wife are fine. But it's as a costly lesson.

Comment

Very glad both of you came through ok. Best wishes for the future. In my experience with cruise controls on many different vehicles, Honda, Jeep, Toyota, Peugeot (Haven't owned them all but driven family/friends at various times). All of them resumed to the set speed much faster than normal acceleration. They must use full throttle as they can also kick down a gear to accelerate in certain instances! I too switch to 4H as soon as the road gets very wet or on gravel for the extra traction. It does make a big difference.
                  PeterJ
                  NW Exceed

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you all got out of this incident with only minor injuries.

This 'resume' thing must be relatively new in cruise controls. My old 1994 Saab 900 had cruise, but only one where you set it and putting your foot on the brake disengages it. You must manually get back up to the speed you want and then reengage the button. My current (6 year old) Astra is the same, with no resume button. This Pajero is the first one I've owned with such an option on the cruise control. I guess this goes to show that the more stuff they put into cars to take the focus away from the driver, the more this can lead to new potential problems.
                    Mar07 build NS LWB VRX Auto

Comment

Call me an idiot, but how does the resume work with a manual anyway? I haven't tried it yet, just curious that's all...?? How do you change gears on the way up to speed?

And yes, I have always found 'resume' on any car (landcruiser, commodore) to be way too aggressive on the acceleration, usually get to within 5-10km of my cruise speed before resuming it.
                      Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights

Comment

Originally posted by linc View Post
                        Call me an idiot, but how does the resume work with a manual anyway? I haven't tried it yet, just curious that's all...?? How do you change gears on the way up to speed?
                        You manually work your way up to 5th then hit resume.
                        Cruise control then gently works its way up to the set speed (well it does it gently for me)
                        Peter
                        2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

You forgot to call me an idiot :-D

OK, well that's what I do anyway.

Comment

It would be trivial cost to Mitsubishi to give you the option to automatically go to 4H whenever the Windscreen Wipers are switched on.

It's a wonder the marketers haven't thought of this as a very cheap way of being able to advertise the Pajero as a smarter, safer vehicle.
                            Last edited by Mike DiD; 23-01-08, 12:42 PM.
                            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

commiserations on losing your vehicle. hate to be the one to say it but a clear case of driver error. all cruise control i have used "resume" asap, full throttle. bet you wish you were driving.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X