Whistling roof racks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistling roof racks!

Hi guys, I would like to know if it's a standard feature of the NS for the standard roof racks/bars to whistle, or is it just my car?
    It's very noticable between 50 and 60km/hr and gets less noticable as you go faster and general road/engine noise increases.
    The noise seems to comes from the front of the bars above the drivers head and is always there at the above mentioned speeds.
    Our previous NM had no bars and did'nt have this noise.
    Thanks,
    Sandgroper.
    NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

No I have never noticed the sound that you describe .
    2007 DID AUTO

Comment

if you have the cross bars fitted, be sure the rubber infills runto each end... fill or tape any gaps.
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
        if you have the cross bars fitted, be sure the rubber infills runto each end... fill or tape any gaps.
        No cross bars, just the standard bars that serve no purpose for most of us.
        If no one else has this whistle it'll be interesting to see if the dealer can fix it.
        Sandgroper.
        NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

if they are the standard MM roof cross bars they are either thule or rhino, they make two kinds, one is aero and one standard, it would interesting if the standard makes the noise. The areo are more of an oval shape. Would be interested as I am about to get a set for the big trip to alice springs with the family.Cheers Pajman
          SOLd NS GLX, 3.2 DID, MANUAL, ARB BAR, IPF SPOTLIGHTS X 4, REAR STORAGE SHEVLES, DVD, SAT NAV, OME 2 inch lift, Dual Battery and roof racks
          wishing :

Now driving

Mazda BT50, bullbar, spotlights, light bar and need so spend more.......

Comment

I have noticed that whistle at around that speed from new.

I always drive with the windows shut and I assumed that it came from the mirrors. The roofbars are identical to those on the NP which produced no whistle, but the mirrors have been redesigned.
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

no whistle when i have the std roof rails on only
              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

I normally drive with the windows up but I haven't noticed a whistle at 50 - 60 km/h with the default roof rails. I have just fitted a set of Thule aerobars to my SWB NS and haven't noticed any difference in noise levels. They have come from my previous car (Suzuki Grand Vitara) and I didn't notice any extra noise there either. I'll try to have a better listen on the way home this arvo.

Bye Jeff.
                NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, BFG AT/KO's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Auxillary Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box.

Comment

Originally posted by pajman View Post
                  if they are the standard MM roof cross bars they are either thule or rhino, they make two kinds, one is aero and one standard, it would interesting if the standard makes the noise. The areo are more of an oval shape. Would be interested as I am about to get a set for the big trip to alice springs with the family.Cheers Pajman
                  Not sure about other models, but my MM dealership was going to install ROLA tracks & bars on my NP - but only the 50-60kg sports ones.

I ended up going elsewhere to get the heavy duty ROLA tracks and bars, rated to 100kg, which MM won't provide.

These bars are a lot thicker than the standard sports ones, and as such create a bit of noise at speed, but not really a 'whistling' noise as such.

Maybe they put some of Homer's speed-holes in your car...? :P
                  Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
                  Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
                  Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

No whistle here with the standard roof rails.

I'm picking up Rhino "sportz" bars tonight. If I notice any whistling once I fit those I'll report back here.

EDIT: Fitted the Rhino sportz bars and no whistle. If it ain't the mirror whistling in your case it beats me what it could be.
                    Last edited by snoop75; 25-01-08, 09:00 PM.
                    NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                      I have noticed that whistle at around that speed from new.

I always drive with the windows shut and I assumed that it came from the mirrors. The roofbars are identical to those on the NP which produced no whistle, but the mirrors have been redesigned.
                      Mike, we seem to be the only ones who notice the whistle at 50-60km/ph with the standard roof bars. I also only drive with the windows shut. but maybe it is the mirrors? I'll try and drive at that speed with the mirrors folded in today and see if it makes a difference. I'll report back later today.

Thanks for all the replys.

Sandgroper.

Comment

Mike, it's not the mirrors. I drove at 55km/hr and pressed the magic button to pull the mirrors in but the whistle remained. Then I opened the drivers window a little and I could'nt hear the whistle anymore, but I don't know if it was the wind sound being louder than the whistle or the different airflow stopping it.
                        Anyway, I can live with it and I know the dealer won't be able to help!
                        Sandgroper.

Comment

Sandgroper - I get a wind noise that annoys the crap out of me which is coming from around the right hand side mirror. Placing a rag against the window runner near the mirror (internal) bracket stops it quite a bit - could be a similar problem. I will be complaining to the dealer about it - his response will probably be
                          Gromit ***********************************

White NS Manual LWB - Lotsa bits - more wanted

Comment

Hi Guys.

This ones for Sandgroper or anyone else who has fitted std Rhino cross bars to their Paj.
                            The whistling you talked about back in Jan, did you fix the prob?
                            I had 1500 wide square rhino bars on my NM and solved the noise prob by making a small deflector for the front bar.

Thought the same type Bars on my NS having a different mounting foot to the factory rails I might not get the whistling.
                            I was sooo wrong !

They start to sing at 40 and keep performing till you go past 80.
                            I dont really want to put another deflector if I can help it.

Cheers Nev

Comment

the best racks that have no whistle noise are the profiled sports type racks , round bars forget it, square bars forget it, oval profile bars YES, just like a wing on a plane.
                              NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X