converting headlights to HID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting headlights to HID

just wondering if anyone has converted there headlights (high beam) to HID lights and if so how good and easy was it

It is very easy to do, jst a matter of finding somewhere to mount the balasts.

But I thought it was illegal, or is that only for HID's in low beams.
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

It can be very simple to fit but I'm guessing some lights will be easier than others. Takes about 30 minutes. If the back of the light housing immediately behind the bulb is clear of obstruction it is easy (e.g. the back of the lamp is not part of the mounting structure). All you need is a pilot drill and a holesaw (to fit the inside channel diameter of the grommet) and cut the hole iin the back of the lamp that the HID wiring passes through. To mount the ballasts you'll probably need to remove the grille and use a bit of silastic to hold them in as a lot of the brackets in kits are flimsy. The illegality is pretty clear on the vehicles headlamps - I'm not so sure it is clear cut or even an issue with driving lights?

The dificult part is knowing how the light/reflector will perform at focussing the beam from the narrow HID globe....
      http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
      Last edited by Eastie; 05-02-08, 07:22 PM.
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Driving lights are fine to convert to HID because they should only be used when there is no-one in front of you. I would therefore assume that converting your Hi-beams to HID would be ok because they are only on when there is no-one in front.
        Low beam HID lights have to have automatic self leveling which is why you cant convert low beams.

If you are converting your high beams or driving lights, I would recommend getting the 50w ballasts not the 35w, it makes a fair bit of difference. The globes are all the same but it is the ballast that changes.
        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

thats guys for the info. Still kinda wondering do i buy driving lights and convert them or will the high beam HID be good enough.

Comment

I am going to get some of the Vision-X driving lights.

They are on Ebay at the moment for only $290 each. They have the ballast fully built in so are easy ti fit. Probably easier and just as cheap as converting your High Beams. And you know that the reflector is designed for the HID light.
            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
            1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

there is a reason for may be not not having HID as high beam in the paj.

basically HID does take some time 'warm up' and as such when you 'flick' on the high beam...it may/will take a few seconds at least to become full temp = light. In others like the Disco 3s use a single light called Bi Xenon which is actually a movement of the bulb/reflector cutting some of the light out on low beam and shifting slightly to achieve full beam. As the light is already on ther is no delay to get to high beam.

Anyway just letting you know the Paj has a low beam bulb (HID in the Exceed) and halogen for the high - completly seperate.

FYI I converted by IPF spotties to HID (Brilliant ) - and kept the high beams on the Exceed Halogen.

I must say the low beam are brilliant on the Exceed (HID) - and high well its ok - better than many halogens I have come across in the past.
              NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Comment

Does the NS Exceed have headlight washers and how is the self-levelling achieved? Just wondering what the OME response to ADRs is.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianLR View Post
                  Does the NS Exceed have headlight washers and how is the self-levelling achieved? Just wondering what the OME response to ADRs is.
                  Yes, it has headlight washers - thanks for reminding me - I don't think I've used them on the NS or on the previous NP.

There are height sensors on the front and rear axles and when the car has been stationary for a few seconds it adjusts the headlight height to compensate for body shift as the load changes.
                  Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Thanks Mike

I asked because I wondered if any of the NS systems could be fitted to the NP. Washers probably but not the levelling. I've been looking at replacing the NP H4s with HID 35W Hi/Lo and have waded through the ADRs (13/00) and countless conflicting posts on various forums. My conclusion, based on the following section of 13/00 is that for a legal retrofit only washers need to be added if they aren't there. Levelling is not required in such cases.

6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps. Dipped-beam headlamps shall not swivel according to the angle of lock of steering. Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.4/ In addition, with respect to vertical inclination, the provision of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. shall not be applied when these headlamps are installed.

6.2.6.2.2 deals with how much the light angle changes under load.

Adrian

Comment

wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to just buy a good set of spotties??

excuse my ignorance

Cheers
                      Adrian
                      NW Pajero VR-X
                      Currently stock

Comment

I always thought the same way. But now that I have had HID headlights I don't think I could ever be satisfied with standard spotties.
                        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                        1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Originally posted by mongoose View Post
                          wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to just buy a good set of spotties??

excuse my ignorance

Cheers
                          Adrian
                          It's low beam performance that I'm looking to improve and if long distance lighting improves as a consequence, without having to add extra lights then that's a bonus. The price of good spots and mid-priced HID kits are similar. Fitting washers shouldn't be difficult if they're not the telescopic variety.

Adrian

Comment

My plan was to convert the high beam to HID then buy a pair of Cibie Oscars and convert them to HID (I know someone that has done it) And yes i do like plently of light on the road

Comment

Well i finaly got around to installing the HID kit into my high beam. They are 10 times better, theres no way you can compaire normal lights to HIDs and they are realy easy to install.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X