Best Rust prevention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Rust prevention?

I have had conflicting reports about the best method of rust prevention.

I had intended to just go for the electronic approach but again I got mixed reports. Are these negative reports on the electronic devices mainly coming from the earlier version of these.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to go.

Cheers
    Troy

keep it dry mate.... sorry, i couldnt resist. i know less about rust prevention than you do. are you on the coast? i hear the territories are bad for rust, any truth in that?

Comment

Originally posted by troyp View Post
      I had intended to just go for the electronic approach but again I got mixed reports.
      Cheers
      Troy
      Absolute snake oil ........

Avoid getting your panel cavities full of dirt/ dust ... if the dirt gets wet you have nice corrosion potential ...

Buy a vehicle with good seal between the body rubbers and the panels ... how you are supposed to check that i have no idea ...

Stay away from salt water .....

rust preventive oil has some benefit but is very difficult to get into the areas that will corrode first

Bottom line ..you are relying on the design (zinc coated panels)and build quality (good sealing) of the vehicle and some basic common sense
      Last edited by simoncurly; 08-02-08, 02:10 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

i would say the best approach to rust prevention would be to buy yourself a rust spray gun unit which is only about $130 and includes an under body gun plus a 1 meter teflon extension hose with a multi mist tip which is absolutely fantastic as it will blast the rust treatment in all directions where you cant see like in door / guard / subframe cavities ect. the under body gun is also great as it does a perfect splatter job giving great thickness to the under side of the vehicle. you will need to have a compressor for this job but i must say doing it yourself is much more re assuring than paying some guy 5 times the price and not knowing if he got into this or that area correctly. i do this process to all my vehicles and if you have some car ramps its even easier as you can elevate the car one side then do the other side with room to move, [ no hoist required ] for the added protection you can buy the electronic type anti rust device plus always clean the under side with fresh water after use , especially if you,ve been on the beach.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Don't waste your money on electric rust protection devices.
          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Id be interested in finding out a bit more also about electronic rust devices.
            Mike why do you say keep away from them have you or someone you know had a bad experience id be interested to know?

cheers
            Adrian
            NW Pajero VR-X
            Currently stock

Comment

Originally posted by mongoose View Post
              Id be interested in finding out a bit more also about electronic rust devices.
              Mike why do you say keep away from them have you or someone you know had a bad experience id be interested to know?
              cheers
              Adrian
              1. Controlled tests show they don't work.
              2. All theoretical analysis says they can't work for more than a few millimetres around the electrode.
              3. The websites promoting them are classic examples of claims that are vaguely stated that can't be disproven.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Lanotech
                apply every 2 years
                --
                Marquis
                SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                  1. Controlled tests show they don't work.
                  2. All theoretical analysis says they can't work for more than a few millimetres around the electrode.
                  3. The websites promoting them are classic examples of claims that are vaguely stated that can't be disproven.
                  Not to mention the pseudo-science gobbledygook that their web sites use to explain how they work.

Comment

i live at the beach..we had a car fitted with a $1000 jobby!! with plenty of sensors and a machine that went "Bing" with a red light. Hell even the bracket one of the connectors was fastened too had rust all over it.. they don't work.
                    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Electronic rust protection systems only work if there is a connection to earth (ie a ship) - even then it doesn't work that great...
                      --
                      Marquis
                      SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

rust prevention

regarding rust prevention,i just moved over from the uk and i lived in the lake district,where for 6 months of the year,the council sprayed salt on the roads to melt the snow and prevent ice and i never had a problem with the newer pajeros showing any signs of rust,the only thing that started to rust was the tow bar bracket and i just sprayed that with waxoil.
                        one thing we used to do in the uk to get rid of the salt was to have an external hot water tap on the house so the hose used to rinse off the car was hot water,hope this helps,thanks peter
                        Last edited by theone; 10-02-08, 12:45 AM.

Comment

new cars these days have very good rust protection, quality primers etc or even gal coated.. in reality for most i would not see it as a problem to worry about.. the days of holes around windows or door sills in the medium term is gone for most of us.
                          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Thirty years ago when I bought a new car, I removed the door trim and treated the inside of the door with fishoil.

Then I found that the manufacturers coated the inside of the door with wax, so I haven't done anything about rustproofing since.

Comment

yeh i had one on an nl pajero where there was a few pads put on the body after a while under the pads started to rust . work that out.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X