Post Tassie Trip Thoughts (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Tassie Trip Thoughts (pics)

Hi all just thought I'd share a few thoughts after our 3 weeks touring around Tassie in the NS.

Firstly, Tassie is an unbelievably beautiful place and I highly recommend that you all get down there at some stage. Truly a 4WDers paradise.

In relation to the car, it performed beautifully for the whole trip. Here's a few things I liked.

- Offroad I was very impressed. We did a bit of everything. Muddy wet tracks, beach driving, steep loose tracks, creek crossings etc and the Paj really didn't raise a sweat. Even with the standard HT tyres.

On the steep lose tracks the traction control works really well to keep forward momentum up but the thing that really impressed me was the downhill assist. I was expecting it to be a bit of a gimmick but it works really well. On steep uneven downhill sections it only has to sense a slight lift in a wheel (it doesn't have to come off the ground) and the brakes go directly to that wheel. We did a could of pretty steep downhill tracks and it simply walked down.

On steep uphill sections, while low range 2nd was fine for most stuff, I found that the throttle control in low range 1st is very good and decided to use this most of the time (even when it wasn't necessarily needed).

We copped some muddy stuff too (Montezuma Falls Track - 1st pic) which was fun. Pretty firm ground under the puddles so didn't have too much trouble. Some interesting exits from a couple of creek crossings showed the Pajero's ability though.

The tyres also held up very well considering the amount of dirt road driving we did. We lowered the pressures to about 28psi on fast dirt and there is no visible signs of chipping at all. The new ARB high output compressor is also VERY fast at re inflating. Bloody ripper of a unit!

DIY awning worked very well keeping us dry during rain and in the shade during the heat of the day. As did the Rhino roof bag, not letting in one drop of water (despite substantial rain on one day) or one particle of dust. Well worth the money and the best quality roof bag that we looked at by far.

The only negative I could find was the lack of engine braking in low range 2d gear. It feels like high range 1st has more braking power. Definitely stick to low range 1st for down hill.

Here's a few picks of the Paj in action.

2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Great photos and sound like a great trip.

Tassie is on my list in the next year or so.

If possible would like to see your itinerary as I have not started planning yet.

How much to take car over there, I would like to take my camper but not sure how it would go down those hills.

Rich

Comment

Nice pics. We love gettng down to Tassie whenever we can, it has a bit of everything....even if it is always raining!

Could to see the Paj went ok, you just need some tyres now.

Did you do the sandy Cape and get down to the Lighthouse?

Have you had a look a Balfour Tk on the West coast. That track will really test out the 4WD.
      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
      1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Wow! Those are fantastic pics - Tassie just went on my list!
        I too have been impressed by the Paj's ability with stock susp and with Highway tyres. But that doesn't mean I'm not upgrading them

Like you I found LR 2nd is enough for most climbs, but LR 1st needed for steep descents (crappy 1.9:1 reduction).
        Last edited by Schniff; 09-02-08, 07:19 AM.
        Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Timely post! Picking up one of those ARB compressors today - hadn't seen much feedback on them, just the old ones.
          Ben

Comment

Great photography, i like it!

Comment

Great pics....glad the trip was good. Man I wish we got those over on this side of the pond.
              03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Going to tassie myself in early march for 2 weeks... hiring a car though, so will probably miss some good spots.

But still can't wait to go

Comment

towed my boat all road tassie, went to the falls and that beach in the trusty Rav4.. those creek crossings going to the falls certainly had steep banks! it rained non stop

tassie is great for a couple of weeks.

kingswoods, morris and sigma's are still big down there
                  SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Very nice pics.

Would be very interested in the itinerary as we are planning heading off to Tassie some time this year as well.
                    NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

Great Pics, looks like you had a good time, I noticed on the NS that you are running thule roof bars and some sort of thule platform rack system. I have the Thule bars aswell but I am getting very close to the roller door on the garage infact I only have around 45mm left before I hit the door. I was wondering what is the hieght of the platform system from the bar to the top. Thanking in advance for the help. Cheers
                      SOLd NS GLX, 3.2 DID, MANUAL, ARB BAR, IPF SPOTLIGHTS X 4, REAR STORAGE SHEVLES, DVD, SAT NAV, OME 2 inch lift, Dual Battery and roof racks
                      wishing :

Now driving

Mazda BT50, bullbar, spotlights, light bar and need so spend more.......

Comment

Originally posted by pajman View Post
                        Great Pics, looks like you had a good time, I noticed on the NS that you are running thule roof bars and some sort of thule platform rack system. I have the Thule bars aswell but I am getting very close to the roller door on the garage infact I only have around 45mm left before I hit the door. I was wondering what is the hieght of the platform system from the bar to the top. Thanking in advance for the help. Cheers
                        G'day Pajman, the cross bars are actually Rhino (pretty much the same as the Thule ones). The rack on the top is a Rhino Platform rack. Mines 1100mm x 1500mm although there is also a larger one at 1100mm x 1800mm.

The max height of the rack above the top of the cross bars is only 35mm (the highest point is the little tie down eyelets. All up I think it measures in at about 2.03m above the ground so I can fit in my garage comfortably.

Cheers, Sam.

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

For those wanting our itinerary, here it is:

Basically did an anti clockwise lap starting in Devenport.

Night 1: Stanley. (the nut is well worth a look)

Night 2: Corina. (on the Pieman River. A fair drive from Stanley as 80km of it is on the Great Western Explorer which is a dirt road which is loose and bumpy in spots. I'd maybe spend a night at Arthur River on the way through)

Night 3: Cradle Mountain. (we did the Summit Walk the next day. Be prepared for all conditions!)

Nights 4 & 5: Strahan. (Gordon River Cruise is an absolute must! Plenty of beach driving around the town. Be careful of quicksand)

Night 6: Lake St. Clair.

Night 7: Mount Field National Park. (Some of the best Waterfalls in Tassie here, and some of the tallest trees in the world!)

Nights 8 & 9: Lake Pedder. (Beautiful, rugged, isolated, wet. 300 days of 24 hour rainfall each year)

Nights 10, 11 & 12: Hobart.

Nights 13 & 14: Fortescue Bay on the Tasman Peninsula. (A must see. One of the most beautiful spots in Tassie. 4 hour return walk to Cape Huay well worth it. Port Arthur also worth a look)

Nights 15 & 16: Freycinet Peninsula. (Beautiful spot. We stayed at Friendly Beaches Camp ground which is right on the beach. Wine Glass Bay walk recommended!)

Nights 17 & 18: Bay of Fires. (Probably the prettiest place we visited. Good fishing off the beach! Great restaurant in Binalong Bay)

In nearly 3 weeks we got to see a lot of Tassie. If we'd had more time I would have liked to have visited the central lakes area but we just couldn't fit it in. Not much I'd change in the itinerary for time we had though.

Cheers, Sam.

Comment

Sam,

Thanks for taking the time for me, I think it will fit so on my way to work tomorrow I will drop by the roofrack superstore and check them out. I have a height problem already as the Ns has a 2 inch lift and hight profile tyres, I think they are 33's and I just miss the roller door. So hopefully this will work.

Cheers Bruce
                            SOLd NS GLX, 3.2 DID, MANUAL, ARB BAR, IPF SPOTLIGHTS X 4, REAR STORAGE SHEVLES, DVD, SAT NAV, OME 2 inch lift, Dual Battery and roof racks
                            wishing :

Now driving

Mazda BT50, bullbar, spotlights, light bar and need so spend more.......

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X