Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 inch tyres

hi ,
    i will be due a new set of tyres in about 5000km's and i was wondering what options i have, i want to stick with the 18 inch wheels as i am not a serious off roader,the car is mainly used by my wife to tow a horse float off a wet paddock with a couple of horses in it,the rest of the time it is used for mainly on road towing,thanks peter

Quite a few people seem to be raving about Goodyear Silent Armours. As quiet as any HT on the road, not too bad offroad and very resistant to punctures. Then again, I'm just going off what others have said.
    Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

keen to see the replies here, can you also post prices for anyone who has put new 18's on...
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

They come in 235/60R/18 & sound pretty good dont know how much $$$??
        I'll wait mine are worn out 25000kms and about 30000kms to go.
        The test was on 265/75R/16

MANUFACTURER: PIRELLI
        MADE IN BRAZIL
        PATTERN NAME: SCORPION A/T
        ACTUAL TREAD WIDTH: 200mm
        SPEED RATING: R
        LOAD RATING: E 123
        CONSTRUCTION: Sidewall plies - 2 polyester, Tread plies - 2 nylon, 2 steel, 2 polyester
        PRICE: $272

COMMENT
        The Scorpions put on a good show in the bitumen slalom. They were responsive and predictable. They held their line and went where you told them. 10/10

Gravel roads posed no problem for the Pirellis. Good grip at both ends of the HiLux meant corners could be taken at higher speeds than with many other brands. Even when you did get the Scorpions sideways, they responded by regaining grip quickly. 9.5/10

They drove through the clay pit easily and never showed signs of getting stuck. 8.5/10

They made the gravel hill climb look easy, with very little wheelspin. 9/10

The Pirelli?s worst performance was on the sand. By that, I mean it didn?t score 10 from 10. The sidewalls didn?t belly out as well as some others, but it still floated on the sand and had just enough bite to accelerate up the sand dune. They weren?t the best of the bunch in sand, but they were still pretty good. 8/10

After the test, the tread showed minor signs of cut and chipping damage.

So how did they stack up and who came out on top? While no A/T available can hold a candle to a muddie in the mud or a highway-terrain on the highway, several of the A/Ts we tested will do most things pretty well, eliminating the need for owning two sets of tyres. Each tyre?s performance in each test section is scored out of 10 and then given an overall average out of 10. This way you can see the tyre that did best overall and scan the chart to see which tyres scored best in the sections that interest you.

Some tyres that were strong in most areas only needed to perform poorly in a couple of tests to drop down the overall list. For this reason, I have added one chart showing each tyre?s off-road performance separately from each tyre?s overall performance, which paints a different picture. I won?t beat around the bush. The Pirelli Scorpion was the best A/T by a country mile. It was just as good off-road as it was on it and excelled everywhere. While it didn?t win every section, to our surprise, it came bloody close. The BFGs and Pirellis performed well in the tougher conditions, but the Cooper showed the most bite, just edging out the Pirelli in the off-road section of the test.
        HILLI

2007 DID VRX AUTO F/P /ARB BAR / KING SPRINGS / X-VISION-HID SPOTI'S./18" MICKY T's

Comment

I think you mean 265/60-18!!!

I bought Silent Armours for 17" rims and they are the best tyres I have had on a 4WD. They are fantastic. Very quiet on road and good in the wet, have not chipped at all on the offroad trips we have been on and seem to have plenty of grip on the gravel.

The price is a killer for 18" rims which is why I went for 17". In 18" rims a 265/65-18 will cost you just over $500/tyre.

Those Perelli A/T's Hilli mentioned are also over $500/tyre in 18" rims.
          thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
          1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Yeah, I've worked out it will be cheaper to buy a set of steel 17" rims and tyres and run two sets than to ditch the OEM rubber and put new tyres on the 18s. This way you get quiet tyres around town, and decent tyres for the rough stuff.
            Having to change tyres for trips is a small price to pay.
            Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

This was my thoughts also.
              and with a rattle gun yoy can change wheels in about ten minutes.
              NW Pajero VR-X
              Currently stock

Comment

There are quite a few threads re 18" A/T tyres. I put 265/60/18 Silent Armours on mine and really like them both on and off road - they are not as aggressive a pattern as a lot of A/T tyres so very good onroad and in dry offroad - muddy offroad not their strength but fine for what I do.
                $500 a corner fitted for 18". If want to read a lot of reviews of tyres have a look at tirerack.com.
                Yellowfin
                NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
                Toyota LC200 TD V8
                - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

thanks guys

silent armours it is then,thanks again, peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X