Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Underbody Protection (needs it's own thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underbody Protection (needs it's own thread)

Hi guys, I think we need a thread for underbody protection. Eastie posted some great photos of his in a modifications thread but its hard to find if you don't know it's there.

If you have underbody bash plates, I'd love to hear/see it hear. After the Tassie trip, they are next on my list. Particularly the intercooler one. Bumped it quite a few times on the Montezuma Track (luckily no damage) and I don't want to risk a busted intercooler (or transfer case).

Eastie, I'd also be interested in your opinions on the service at Brown Davis. They're sledged a bit in an ExlporOz thread I was reading today. http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/View.aspx?fq=2696. How'd you find 'em?

Anyone used the TJM ones?

Cheers, Sam.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

I've got the TJM sump and transmission guards. As far as I know they don't make an intercooler protection plate.

I've not yet had rocks hit the bash plates since fitted, but they fit very well and appear sturdy enough. There are bolt heads that protrude slightly, which would be prone to shearing off, but hey, rather a sheared bolt than a cracked transmission!

In all fairness to Brown Davis, that thread on ExplorOz is over 5 years old. I've not dealt with them, but a few forum members have and could probably post more recent dealings experiences. The TJM plates are readily available however.
    Ben

Comment

I have ordered the Brown Davis guards again this week, hopefully they will actually make them this time.

I have to agree with the explore OZ thread, I would not deal with Brown Davis unless I really had too. (which I did with the bash plates).

I phoned TJM about their guards and they were $30/guard more expensive than Brown Davis.

The Brown Davis guards look very well made.
      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
      1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

Hi I don't have the plates but made enquiries from Brown Davis and got prices.

They took awhile to get back to me but they did get back.

Rich

For a SWB R NS Pajero.

Front $250.00

Middle $175

Rear $ 175

Comment

Someone tried to tell me that the NP TJM sump guard had the oil drain plug on the other side to that of the NS. Anyone confirm if this is the case and if so, have the developed one to fit the NS yet?
          Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

I rang TJM yesterday to see if they have one to suit the NS I was told it is about 2 weeks away and it will cost around the $250 mark

Comment

Originally posted by digitout View Post
              I rang TJM yesterday to see if they have one to suit the NS I was told it is about 2 weeks away and it will cost around the $250 mark
              Hmmm, interesting. I received the following email from TJM this morning.

"Unfortunately TJM don't have any under body guards to suit your vehicle and I believe the older model guards don't fit either but we haven't tried them ourselves. TJM also tell me that they aren't planning on building any either."

Seems we're getting conflicting advice.
              2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

I should have got the chaps name. I call TJM in Melbourne. I'll call them again in the 2 to 3 weeks and see what answer i get this time

If there no help, I'll just make my own.

Comment

Why wouldn't you get them from Brown Davis. They might be a pain to deal with but they are a lot cheaper than TJM and you know that they will fit because Eastie has already fitted all 3 guards to his NS.
                  thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                  1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

The three guards fit the NS but as I told Adam I'm not sure what they ended up modifying with the front intercooler guard as mine was the prototype.

I made a couple of mods to it and put in some more open mesh. I've hit the front on creek crossings and the 4mm steel plate ( I think it is 4mm?) hasn't moved - they are pretty well maufactured with gussetting where it's needed. I have to agree with the service issue to a point. In my original thread I said deal with Kev at Brown Davis - do this and you should be ok. I got the idiot treatment the one time Kev wasn't in and I walked out and came back a few days later when he was back - it's a pitty one or two of the staff give them such a bad rep.

I've also drilled about twenty 10mm holes in the sump guard to clear water a little quicker and help ariflow around the sump -still has all the strength and any sticks less than 10mm aren't a problem.

The transmission guard was basically the same as the NP but I got it modified a bit to deal with the postion of the lowest point of the exhaust which has obviously changed with the addition of the DPF on the NS. I'll post a couple of pics when I get a chance.

Cheers, Mark
                    NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Pic of the front with open mesh riveted in:

Pic of the sump and transmission giuards:

Pic of the same from the rear:

NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Thats great underbody protection there. only thing missing is the underbody spray paint material. if you have your own compressor that will work with a spray gun , you can buy a very cheap underbody gun with interchangeble underbody paint in black or grey litre fills, atleast you can do this job yourself with total satisfaction without the worry of a mis here and there plus not have all your serviceble componants covered in tar.
                        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

I've done the majpr problem areas with bitumen paint and coated the rest in lanotec (had both on hand and they work well). All of the bash plates are elctroplated, and I've hit the drill holes in the sump guard with some zinc enamel for now.
                          Last edited by Eastie; 17-02-08, 08:01 PM.
                          NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Has anyone else bought the protection plates from Brown Davis yet?

Someone here said that Brown Davis quotes them $250 for intercooler guard and $175 each for the other 2.

I was at the 4WD show today and I thought I would order a set of guards from Brown Davis. When I asked the price I was told that all 3 were $250 each.

I think I will make a personal visit and speak with Kevin!
                            thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                            1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

I can't speak for their price as I got mine for a song as they were prototypes that I helped with. Speak with Kev and see if you can sort out a realistic price ($750 isn't what I'd call realistic). I did mention to kev that there would likely be others interested if they did them for a good price (given a TJM option) and he seemed ok with the idea at the time.
                              NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X