Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market Research - what would you pay?

Hi All,

I am involved with a company that produces electronic products (TV Antenna, Reversing Cameras) for Caravanners and 4WDers, and we are about to release a new product onto the market.

It is called 'Easy PC View' and what it entails is an 8 inch Touchscreen Monitor, Flexible Mounting Boom to mount it to the passenger seat bolt and Seat-back bag to hold a Notebook computer. The Touchscreen provides an interface to the Notebook computer being held securely behind the passenger seat in our specially designed bag, so you can run Oziexplorer for Navigation or watch DVD's etc.

Now here is our dilemma.....we have prototyped a number of touch screen displays and have finally arrived at 2 which we think are suitable for use in our product. One is going to make the kit price around the $900 mark, and the other around the $1400 mark. Whilst both are excellent quality monitors (much better than the $300 junk you see on Ebay), the more expensive one incorporates a new technology screen which makes it more readable in direct sunlight - hence the price difference.

The less expensive screen is still very usable, but just not so easy to read in direct sunlight. You can however usually position the screen to be able to read it, but it takes a bit more effort than with the more expensive screen.

I'd like some feedback from forum members with regards to product positioning to help us to decide which screen to standardise on to make the product most attractive to our customers.

Would you be prepared to pay the extra for the better screen? Or is $1400 for the kit a price no one would be prepared to pay for the functionality this product offers?

I've used both screens whilst product testing for the past year on and off, and both do the job. The more expensive screen is noticeably better when the sun is streaming in on it though, but my hunch is that $1400 for this product might be a bit too much of an ask for the average customer.

To take a sneak preview at the web page still under development, go to

http://www.aussievan.com.au/easypcview.php

Happy to hear your feedback!

Cheers

Wilmo
    Last edited by Wilmo; 13-02-08, 11:10 PM.
    NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Hi Wilmo

I'm willing to spend a lot of money on technology (don't bother asking my wife for her assessment !) but I wouldn't spend $1400 for a display only.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

just bas soon as they are released let us know.. maybe you could get a web board deal for us

I guess it does not matter which screen you use, as long as the one you market is 'fit for purpose', so if the cheaper screen works as you expect then go for it, if the dearer one must be used then as you say it could be too pricey to sell volumes..

what software do they run with and come with?
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

If i was going to get one i would go with the cheaper screen, $500 is a lot.

How does it go with a manual and changing gears??

Josh
        * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
        * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
        * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
        * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
        * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
        * Pajero now sold!

Comment

What about the option of both screens for the purchaser instead of only giving them one?
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Thats a lot of money just for the screen.
            People are getting on board with the technology in a vehicle now, but there are a lot of options out there.

dedicated carputer.
            AVNC
            Tablet PC
            Laptop on Ram mount.
            Cheep ebay screens

This is what your competing against, dual option and lots of comentry as to what sets your product apart.
            ML triton with some accessories
            National E Trek Libary
            Getting Out There

Comment

How about selling the kit with no screen as an option? For most of us, who would love to have that type of setup but would only use it occaisionally, the ability to mount a cheap Lilliput from ebay would be nice...
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

I like technology also but I personally would not buy this set-up irrespective of screen. But I assume others would so for what it is worth, I suggest you have a look at the colour screens in similiar sizes for boat sounders and chartplotters and compare quality and prices - manufacturers have spent a lot of time improving the direct sunlight issue with these units as it is a big issue on the water - a quality picture is highly regarded. Have a look at Furuno, Raymarine, Lowrance and Magellan.(descending order of picture quality IMHO)
                This should give you a better idea of what people will pay for picture once you take the technology differences out.
                Hope this helps.
                Yellowfin
                NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
                Toyota LC200 TD V8
                - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, all helpful.

To answer a couple of the questions:-

Re selling separately....at this stage we want to sell it as a kit. The boom is designed to mount to the monitor we have sourced via the brackets we have had manufactured - we've done the hard work in making this a complete system that works without a lot of fiddling around. The monitor is the only monitor that we have found that will mount up with a rigid enough connection to the boom because of its vesa mount. I doubt that a cheap Lilliput monitor would attach satisfactorily enough to survive corrugations - in fact I tried some and snapped the mount clean off the cheap E-Bay screen on one occasion after flexing it to death over corrugations.

One of the complete setups you see on the web page has survived a trip across the Simpson and back this year so is certainly tough (and the Acer laptop survived too!).

Re boating monitors.....I've looked at a lot of the boating gear and looked at sourcing the monitors from them. They are even more expensive to procure. A screen of that similar quality is well above the $1000 and sometimes $2K mark by iteself.

Re using with a manual tranny....should not be any problem as you can adjust the positioning of the screen to suit.

Re the software these run....the software runs on the laptop, and the idea is to let customers sort their own laptop set up out. There are several good packages for laptops available like Oziexplorer with the Hema Maps CD, Travroute Copilot 10 (Street mapping). The only software needed to be installed on the laptop to get the touch screen to work is a small USB Touchscreen driver.

Re two screen options....we were trying to avoid this due to introducing complexity to the product and having to stock both screens which are quite expensive to order in bulk, so for now one option is preferred until we can guage the market opportunity.

Re the competition as listed below....yes considered them all. Price is the limiting factor for manyl of those as for a dedicated carputer you are looking at $3K or more fitted. Laptops on RAM mounts or Tablet PC's aren't safe in the front of a vehicle and take up way too much space usually or the passenger ends up holding it.

dedicated carputer.
                  AVNC
                  Tablet PC
                  Laptop on Ram mount.
                  Cheep ebay screens

So with life everything is a compromise, price vs quality. From what I am hearing so far, acceptable quality at an acceptable price is more attractive than exceptional quality at a higher price.

Keep the feedback coming...
                  Last edited by Wilmo; 14-02-08, 09:31 AM.
                  NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Hi Wilmo,

I'd be happy to test the units for you. We have entered the Pajero Challenge on Feb 23/24th. This is a 24 hour 4wd/navigation event.

I'll be navigating, with a laptop/oziexplorer, bluetooth gps as well as a garmin gps. Given the event is punishing on electronic equipment, we have a spare laptop, spare gps units, etc. Of course we also have paper maps. We were experimenting with a 7inch Liliput touchscreen (VGA mode) so that my driver can see what I'm seeing on the laptop screen.

We found the screen to be poor quality in daylight and I have to reduce the resolution on my laptop so that the touchscreen can operate. This is not an ideal solution, so at this stage we've abandoned this set up. Instead we're setting up an independent unit (pda/gps with Oziexplorer) for my driver. The pda is only a 4inch screen, but it's better than nothing and I can have the laptop in the highest possible resolution.

cheers,
                    Alberto.

Comment

Originally posted by OnPatrol View Post
                      Hi Wilmo,

I'd be happy to test the units for you. We have entered the Pajero Challenge on Feb 23/24th. This is a 24 hour 4wd/navigation event.

I'll be navigating, with a laptop/oziexplorer, bluetooth gps as well as a garmin gps. Given the event is punishing on electronic equipment, we have a spare laptop, spare gps units, etc. Of course we also have paper maps. We were experimenting with a 7inch Liliput touchscreen (VGA mode) so that my driver can see what I'm seeing on the laptop screen.

We found the screen to be poor quality in daylight and I have to reduce the resolution on my laptop so that the touchscreen can operate. This is not an ideal solution, so at this stage we've abandoned this set up. Instead we're setting up an independent unit (pda/gps with Oziexplorer) for my driver. The pda is only a 4inch screen, but it's better than nothing and I can have the laptop in the highest possible resolution.

cheers,
                      Alberto.
                      Thanks for the offer Alberto, the products been well tested already though! :-)

We have found it optimal to run the laptop in 800x600 resolution which is the native resolution of the 8 inch screen also. But the screen does support up to 1024x768. The trouble with 7 inch screens is the native resolution is 600x480 which not many laptops support.

What resolution would you prefer to run on your laptop?

Comment

Not a problem..I think we are already well set up for the event.

That's good to know that 800x600 resolution is the optimal.

Anyway, back to your market research.....why not just sell the kit with various touchscreen options. I think you'll find it difficult to move stock for kits that costs $900 to $1400, especially when people are doing it now for less than $500. A cheap $300 ebay touchscreen works really if you block out the sunlight with a shroud.

How much for the mounting kit and the laptop bag?

Comment

The mounting boom and brackets is designed for use with the monitor we've sourced, so won't work with an alternate monitor without some modification to either the mount or monitor.

We're trying to produce a complete kit that opens up this type of setup to more people, not just the tech guys that can put something together themselves and that's why weren't not going to sell the components separately.

The cheap $300 monitors on ebay can't be compared to the quality of the ones we've sourced - for a start, they aren't easy to mount securely, (no VESA mount), come with no warranty, brightness and contrast is poor, making them unusable outdoors, and they usually have several cables going into them which makes for a messy install.

I disagree, I'm sure there are people that would embrace this setup if it was made easier for them, the $900 price is spot on for value when you consider its a complete system, already tried and tested, and not just a monitor that you have to come up with some way of mounting, and then also figure out someway of mounting your Laptop.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X