Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Boot spit

Hi guys
    just had the little paj in for its 15k service wasn't impressed not only with the basic service costing $461. But my CV boot on the front left hand passenger side is split in 3 yes 3 places they are trying to tell me that it was a stick or rock piece of metal which i can't understand how as the cv is pretty well preteced by the bumper and wheel the rear i could understand because things get thrown up by the front. When i questioned them and said well maybe one stick but there are 3 splits they told me i must of hit something 3 times. To me this seems rediculous as it has only been offroad for a few brief outtings and i would have noticed or heard something if something was going to do that much damage especially a stick as it would of had to of been a resonable stick and would of been munched up in the wheel and spat out in the wheel arch. It gets worse because they tell me on the NS pajero they have not released a CV boot as a part instead you have to buy the entire driveline assemble to the tune of $1018.90 plus fitting. In the past i have been very impressed with Mitsu and there warranties up untill the NS now i have severe doubts and as a result am going to take it to get a second independent opinion. either way somebody else will be getting my business from now on. I hope no one else has to deal with this sort of rubbish with a new paj. It was only a few months ago that i had to cough up the dollars for alternator rebuild and driveline flushing for something that is meant to be within the capabilities of the vehicle and what it was designed to do.

keep up the good forum guys it is alot of help and much appreciated by many
    Last edited by Pearcie; 15-02-08, 10:12 PM.
    2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
    Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

If it were my rig I would be looking for another vehicles CV boot and seeing if it will fit. There are tons fo CV boots out there for many vehicles....I can garuntee that one will be the same size. It will just take a little time and searching.......but its A LOT better that a 1000 dollars.
    03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearcie View Post
      It gets worse because they tell me on the NS pajero they have not released a CV boot as a part instead you have to buy the entire driveline assemble to the tune of $1018.90 plus fitting. In the past i have been very impressed with Mitsu and there warranties up untill the NS now i have severe doubts and as a result am going to take it to get a second independent opinion.
      1. I would be complaining to Mitsubishi, pointing out that their product has misleading advertising as the NS uses a Resin rather Rubber boot to give it better strength.

2. Tell them you want the defective boot returned so you can get an expert to analyse whether it was broken or whether it failed due to a defective product.

3. Report the "replace whole assembly issue" to Dept of Fair Trading as an unacceptable trade practice. If no boots are available to repair an offroad vehicle, it's Mitsubishi's problem - not yours. Mitsubishi can remove the boot off the assembly and get a replacement sent out from Japan by airfreight or whatever they choose to get the assembly functional again.
      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Hey Pearcie, can't help you with the cv boot problem, so this might be a bit off topic, but I noticed in your signature that you have 'crappy door seals.' I've posted a thread on this a while ago as I used to get lots of dust coming in through the door seals, mainly the back passanger doors (on my LWB), but also some through the front doors (none to speak of through the rear cargo door). I've fixed the problem simply by following someones advice which was to just put a bit of gaffa tape over the holes in the seals. Anyway, this fixed the problem for me. I do however still get some water in under the front doors somehow, but thats another issue. Mikens
        NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

My advice would be the same as Mikes - that's truly sh!t service and support.
          NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Thanks for the replies, glad to know that I am not the only one that believes that this service is unacceptable.

In the morning I will be making contact with another Mitsu dealer to get there opinion after that I will stat correspondence with Mitsu direct and express concern and explain that not selling something like a CV boot seperatly is unacceptable, if that is not successfull I will make contact with the dept. of fair trading. If it takes to long I will be forced to find an aftermarket boot as at the moment the paj is stranded in the driveway. Even tho I was told that if I put an aftermarket boot on if anything happens to the boot and damage is caused to the CV it will not be covered under warranty. Does this course of action sound appropriate?

Thanks for the tip on the door seals I'll give it a try when the paj is running again.
            Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Comment

I would be surprised if they covered ANY CV damage on that side under warranty - they know the car has been driven with the boot damaged, so water and grit could have gotten in.

Based on previous experience, that's all the excuse manufacturers need to say - tough luck, your problem.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

I'd be very suprised if the boot of an NM/NP didn't fit. AFAIK the driveline is the same.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                  I'd be very suprised if the boot of an NM/NP didn't fit. AFAIK the driveline is the same.
                  Even an ML Triton one might/should fit.

Comment

For starters, I'd go find out myself if the spare parts department can only get a complete shaft, and not seperate boots. I wouldn't just believe what a service advisor has to say.
                    Secondly, I'd tell them the problem is warranty. Unless they can actually see a stick, wire, whatever, stuck in the boot that has caused the damage, how can they prove otherwise??
                    Sounds like defective/weak rubber to me, that'd be my argument.
                    The dealer doesn't make the warranty, Mitsubishi does. At least they could of done is take photos of the boot/shaft and let Mitsubishi see it, and be the judge!
                    If your Pajero actually looks severely beaten, and the underside is roughed up from extreme 4 wheel driving, then you probably won't have much of a chance for any assistance... otherwise, I'm sure Mitsu/Dealer can come to the party!

Comment

Hi everyone just an update

Had the paj in at Cessnock Mitsu this morning the service guy was much better to deal with but he was unable to tell me if it would be covered under warranty and there is some visable scrapes and what not from ruts from the small amount of 4wding that I have had a chance to do so far. However the boot practically looks new except for the splits there is no visable puncture marks so I do have that on my side he did say that even a small gash would get spread apart through the movement of the boot in the course of driving. He got on the phone when I queried about gettign the boot seperately and he was told that you cannot get a seperate boot and given the part number required which was the whole assembly. He is going to get in touch with the regional Mitsu rep about whether they will cover it under warranty. Even if they don't fix it under warranty i am happy that atleast this dealer was willing to put the case to Mitsu.

The most interesting part was the price of the assembly from Gordon Mitsu it was $1018 plus fitting and in cessnock it is about $850 plus fitting.... and then it gets better for the 15k service which at Gordon cost $460 at Cessnock it is $295... needless to say where i'll be headed from now on. Unbelievable how the price for a Mitsu part can be so differerent as for the service i paid more at Gordon for the basic 7.5k service then the 15K would be at Cessnock

Correct me if I am wrong but if the vehicle is not in 4x4 as these vehicles have auto locking hubs the front CV would not actually be rotating therefore it would be very difficult to damage the CV just crap will get in there and will need to be well cleaned and greased when a new boot gets put on. If this is the case then my only concern is I do not know when the split occured therefore has the vehicle been in 4x4 much since and would I be better off just biting the bullet if it is not covered and get the whole assembly as it is guarenteed that there would be no potential problems occuring from this incident when i'm in the outback as I may end up in the centre of oz in the middle of the year for a trip?

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but if the vehicle is not in 4x4 as these vehicles have auto locking hubs the front CV would not actually be rotating
                        The front CV turns whenever the front wheel turns. In 2WD the Front Diff disengages the driveshaft, but the half-shafts are permanently connected to the wheels.

Comment

for the 15k service which at Gordon cost $460 at Cessnock it is $295... needless to say where i'll be headed from now on.
                          I live in Sydney, so I have a choice between $460 for a service in Sydney or a drive up the Hunter Valley wineries and stay at a posh hotel - for the SAME price !

Comment

Hi Mike DiD
                            If it helps i was in at Gosford Mitsu today and the drive shaft was the same price there as in Cessnock so i would presume as they arn't adding extra $$$ on the part that there servicing may be better value then in syd as well and alot closer to home.

Still waiting to hear back from the mitsu rep on the warranty side of things but good news is that as long as the CV isn't damaged the Mitsu dealer in Gosford will put an NP boot on or whatever they can find that will fit (which Gordon Mitsu refused to do) because they believe it is unbelievable that Mitsu doesn't have the part available seperately and if there is no damage i shouldn't have to pay the big dollars to replace something that isn't damaged. On the other hand if it is damaged or anything i can atleast leave it there while they get in the part which will make life less stressfull.

looks like i won't be driving it untill it goes to get fixed if the driveshaft is still spinning as i do not want to risk any further damage if any has been sustained already.

Comment

What happened here? Sounds a bit similar to mine. Crawled underneath and noticed some grease spewed out around the driveshaft and found a split in the boot. What happened?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X