River Crosssings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Crosssings

Just got back from a weekend out in the local bush and my SWB Paj went as good as the others (Patrol Landcruiser, Suzuki , Hilux and a LWB Paj). It was not ultra rough but lots of climbs and drops and those mounds you see to stop water run off.

Great time but was very wet. It rained most of the time - after we got there.
    Cooking steak while trying to keep the water off with an umbrella ain't fun.

In the drive we had to cross a few rivers (well more like streams) which were not all that deep. But fun.

One of the guys there said he had been told that the Paj had a problem of leaking (around the gear stick area I think he said)
    He had also seen it when a couple of Pajs had the problem in a training river crossing course he attended at the local 4WD club.

Is this true - if so can it be fixed (under warranty I hope

Rich

Was he driving a Nissan or a Toyota?
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
      Was he driving a Nissan or a Toyota?

plus all the "live axle" guys stories are all 20 years old and based on folk tale

fact is the big cruisers and patrols just can't match the paj in tight stuff as they have too much overhang.. my buddies patrol suffered terribly on my last trip out in all the steep hills and ditches.. if did not have a tow bar his rear bumper would not have survived.. but he never shut up about his live axle and i had to wait for him all day as he was all locked up in low range.. i did not get into low
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

The guy who told me is drives a Hilux.

It was what he was told when a couple of Pajs leaked, along with other brands by the way, when doing the river crossing course. The guy I am referring to lost a starter motor during the course.

At the course they do send them in fairly deep, I have not done it though.

So I guess what I am asking has anyone had troubles with their Pajs leaking while doing river crossings.

Rich

Comment

I would be really surprised if any coarses do water crossings which are higher than the factory wade depth. I know we all sometimes do crossings deeper than the stated wading depth (700mm I think) but I am sure there could be legal problmes if people were made to do it in a coarse.

But I was relieved to find my NS did not leak.

I am more worried about sucking in water throught he breathers than gettiong water in the doors.
          thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
          1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

speaking about diff breather's, I've found the one for the rear diff, which will be very easy to extend. But where about's is the front one extend too ? I've heard it goes up on the fire wall somewhere.
            Any help would be appreciated with.
            Cheers Tom.
            2007 Black NS DiD Pajero LWB.
            ARB air compressor, Dual batteries (Redarc)
            ARB Bar, Warn Winch, Uniden UHF015sx, tow bar 2" lift lightforce XGT's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom80 View Post
              speaking about diff breather's, I've found the one for the rear diff, which will be very easy to extend. But where about's is the front one extend too ? I've heard it goes up on the fire wall somewhere.
              Cheers Tom.
              Near the front diff engage / disengage vacuum solenoids valves underneath the airbox, and the transmission one is mounted on the bell-housing. You can reach it (just) from the back of the motor.
              16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX

Comment

Yep - drivers door on mine leaks a little. Water comes in from the area near the under-door light. Had pointed it out to the service dept. but it still does it and the carpet is often wet in the area behind the puddle after river crossings.

NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Tom80 View Post
                  Cheers Tom.
                  I couldnt find the front breather either, I will have to have another look now.

I reckon we should have a "breather lengthening" party one arvo. We cold get a bulk roll of hose and all do it at the same time. Somone who has already done it would be very handy to have as well. In Melbourne that is.
                  thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                  1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

and photos to assist

for those of us not in Mexico (South of the border)
                    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

I'll get you some pics. Remembering that I have an NP, but I think it will be the same in an NS.
                      16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX

Comment

Definitely interested in some pics of breather extensions etc.
                        I am leaving for a 10 day Vic high country trip on Thursday and extended breathers has been on my list as a "maybe do" No idea on how bad the river crossings etc will be and due to no snorkel if they are to bad I have a tarp ready and will be towed across. However extended breathers is a simple job which may stop some serious grief.
                        If it is a simple job it may be squeezed in with the few other things I would like to do before I go.

Thanks
                        Jason.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          I couldnt find the front breather either, I will have to have another look now.

I reckon we should have a "breather lengthening" party one arvo. We cold get a bulk roll of hose and all do it at the same time. Somone who has already done it would be very handy to have as well. In Melbourne that is.
                          I'd be up for a 'working bee' to extend the breathers if someone knows the best way to do it. By the looks of it the front breather is pretty high as it is (well up in the engine bay). The rear one goes up into the chassis rail and would need extending I reckon.
                          2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

There really isn't much to it. Here are a couple of $1 filters from the local Bursons cable tied in place up on the firewall with the original breather line caps on them.

And here is the line to the front diff. It is under the airbox, around about the centreline of the RH guard. It follows up with the engage / disengage lines from the front diff. You simply remove the little black cap and attach some vacuum line.

I cant get the camera in to take a photo of the transmission / transfer line (there is only one for both as it is joined above the gearbox) but it is easy to find. Just look for another one of the black caps on a steel line burried behind the motor on top of the bellhousing.

Keep all lines away from the exhaust and cable tie for neatness. You can get much more fancy diff breather tops from the shops or ebay, but these serve the purpose just as well.

Remember that these are on an NP, but given that the NS is really only a gen 3.5 they should be almost the same.

Pat
                            16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX

Comment

Ok, who in Melbourne is up for a "breather fitting " party. (I really need to get a life.). I am happy to do it at my place, I guess we can all work out in the court, but if anyone else wants to volunteer to host then that is great.

Also, who has done lengthened their breathers already and wants to help us out?
                              thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                              1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X