diff axle prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diff axle prob

can anyone help me not very mechanicly minded i have np paj that i use mainly for towing my 18000kg caravan ,i had leak from rear diff mechanic put new seal in and told me to get it to mitsu dealer as they are having on going probs with them ,vehicle is four months out of warranty,am planning trip to kimberly area next month this is a worry regards hammo

NP or NS? Ther was a problem acknowledged by Mitsubishi where the companion shafts actually seperate slightly from the diff and then leak around the seals. Mitsu will replace the companion shafts with ones that have a better retaining clip. I am told that they should do it as a no-cost recall however I had to pay. Cost is about $260 per side.

Pat
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Didn't want to start a new thread as i have a similar problem with my '08 Paj.

The car has done 83,000kms and absolutely no towing at all. 10-15% off roading in desert sand dunes and no rock crawling too. I recently (a week ago) changed my wheels from 18" to 17" and got michelin latitude tour HP tyres in 265/70-R17 so got a wheel alignment also done at the same time. There is a leak from the rear diff at the right side companion shaft.

It seems unreasonable that at only 83,000kms the seals are leaking. We only have 60,000km warranty so i'm not too hopeful about any positive response from MM but i'll give it a try.

Is it just a matter of repalcing the companion shaft seal OR does it need the whole half shaft to be replaced ?
      '08 Pajero DID GLS LWB - Sold
      '07 KTM Adv990S

my ride reports:
      2-up to Jordan & Syria on a KTM 990
      Off-roading in the UAE
      2 up to UAE on a KTM990
      wanna see south India? a South Indian honeymoon ride
      13,000kms to Turkey in our NS - coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by Vicks View Post
        Didn't want to start a new thread as i have a similar problem with my '08 Paj.

The car has done 83,000kms and absolutely no towing at all. 10-15% off roading in desert sand dunes and no rock crawling too. I recently (a week ago) changed my wheels from 18" to 17" and got michelin latitude tour HP tyres in 265/70-R17 so got a wheel alignment also done at the same time. There is a leak from the rear diff at the right side companion shaft.

It seems unreasonable that at only 83,000kms the seals are leaking. We only have 60,000km warranty so i'm not too hopeful about any positive response from MM but i'll give it a try.

Is it just a matter of repalcing the companion shaft seal OR does it need the whole half shaft to be replaced ?
        In mine(2002), and some of mi friends (2001), happens one or two time in each car in almost 200.000km (in mine firts time at 70.000 in left and second time at 120000 at righ) without towing, and we only change the seals, and works fine. The seal it's so cheap and not to hard to change.
        Regards,

Enric
        Barcelona, Spain
        2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

Originally posted by Vicks View Post

That leak pictured is a seal leak not a popped companion shaft. So it will just be a matter of replacing the seal, no new shafts involved unless your shaft has been scored/worn (which I think is highly unlikely). However I believe it would be prudent that if removing the shaft to replace the seal, you also replace the c-clip on the shaft, to be sure, to be sure. Both parts relatively cheap compared to a full shaft replacement.

The seal itself is a radial lip seal with an additional face lip that mates with the companion shaft flange to stop crud from damaging the main seal. I suspect crud can sometimes work its way past this lip. Once past the face lip, it cant get out. Sand may be a big culprit due to its size and abrasiveness.

Shane.
          Last edited by sharkcaver; 08-11-11, 10:22 AM.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by Enric View Post
            In mine(2002), and some of mi friends (2001), happens one or two time in each car in almost 200.000km (in mine firts time at 70.000 in left and second time at 120000 at righ) without towing, and we only change the seals, and works fine. The seal it's so cheap and not to hard to change.

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            That leak pictured is a seal leak not a popped companion shaft. So it will just be a matter of replacing the seal, no new shafts involved unless your shaft has been scored/worn (which I think is highly unlikely). However I believe it would be prudent that if removing the shaft to replace the seal, you also replace the c-clip on the shaft, to be sure, to be sure. Both parts relatively cheap compared to a full shaft replacement.

The seal itself is a radial lip seal with an additional face lip that mates with the companion shaft flange to stop crud from damaging the main seal. I suspect crud can sometimes work its way past this lip. Once past the face lip, it cant get out. Sand may be a big culprit due to its size and abrasiveness.

Shane.
            Thanks a bunch Enric & Shane. I have some peace of mind now. Gotta love this forum . What i'll now do is fill the diff with gear oil to the proper level as i'm not sure how much has been lost by the leaking seal, and then i'll take it to my mech for replacing the seal+clips on both left+right side axle on the rear diff. Does it make sense to do this replacement (seal + clips) on the front diff as well ? preventive maintenance ?

So, i'm looking at 2 x Rear diff oil seals and 2 x Rear axle drive shaft clips ? would that be part nos. MR410469 (clips) and MR350883 (oil seal) ? or are there new/updated part numbers from MM ?

thanks again guys.
            '07 KTM Adv990S

my ride reports:
            Off-roading in the UAE
            2 up to UAE on a KTM990

Comment

I don't know if there's a update part, I put the seals from aftermarket internet shop.
              Regards,

Enric
              Barcelona, Spain
              2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

Gooday Enrich.
                Do you have a link to where you bought those seals ?
                2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Gooday Enrich.
                  Do you have a link to where you bought those seals ?
                  I'm from Spain and I bought it in England in Milner offroad.
                  http://www.milneroffroad.com/index.p...egory&path=199

I think it's too far for you.
                  Regards,

Enric
                  Barcelona, Spain
                  2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

Vicks, I had the same diff seal fail at about 50,000km. Replaced under warranty by MM no problems or difficulties.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

I got new MM seals (equivalent of 20AUD each) and installed them 2 weeks ago. Washed off the oil from the diff housing & axle and till date there are no signs of leakage. Also changed fluids in both diffs & the transfer case as it was due.

Thanks gents for all the advise & help.
                      '07 KTM Adv990S

my ride reports:
                      Off-roading in the UAE
                      2 up to UAE on a KTM990

Comment

Matched content

Collapse