Check engine warning light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check engine warning light.

Hi all. The check engine warning light came on tonight on my NS with 8300 km on the clock. Grrrrrrr

Many others had this happen? What was the diagnosis?
    Frustrating because I am installing the car computer with the OBD2 scanner on Friday. Looks like it may have to go to the dealer tommorow.
    Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

if you have the obd2 scanner just plug it in and read the code.. or is it built into the car computer..if so maybe you can power the pc and then just plug in the obd2 plug to read codes.. in any case mm will scan it and tell you, ask them for the actual code(s) and you can look them up..
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Thats what i was pretty much thinking, however as I am taking the car to my mates place for the fitting (which involves driving to and fro) which I don't really want to do in case the fault is serious.

This has given me very good justification with the wife for spending the dollars on the car pc and scanner!
      Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

ECU wont allow any damage to occour - if its still driveable, its safe to drive.

Comment

Engine warning light

Just had my 2007 SWB R DiD (6000km) to the Dealer for this problem this week. It is related to the DPF issue (so the dealer says) described in another Thread.
          I have had the DPF light on about 6 times to do a burn off (ie go for a 20 min run), and this has previously fixed the DPF issue.
          However this time, DPF light on and then the engine warning light on. Then car developed the symptom of running on a for a second when I turned ignition off.
          Back now and seems ok. Cost me $280 as they did the 7500 km service, which included $120 for the oil (8 l x $15).

It seems there is an issue, particualrly in the cold weather (it has been zero degrees here at times), with the DPF.

In the other thread it was recommeded to use Bp Diesel as lower in sulphur. I'll have to investigate this.

I also reported this on MM website, sending an email. To my great surprise I received a phone calll from MM the next day, saying my query had been forwarded onto their techncial service, and apparently there may be an issue with the DPF. MM aslo wanted to know name of dealer so they could make sure the dealer reported the "problem" to MM via standard practice.

Geekay
          Geekay
          SWB R DiD

Comment

Geekay, that was their diagnosis for my problem. I too had the car running on when I turned off the ignition. The dealer reset the code, and did a regeneration of the DPF. Car has driven beautifully ever since.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of this DPF thing. Clearly it is an issue, however luckily it is a minor issue.

Comment

Exactly the same problem with mine as well,happened again today and we have used the low sulphur BP fuel for the last 2 tanks.
              2007 NS VRX PAJERO Di-D , AUTO , FAMILY PACK , HD TOW PACK

Comment

Hi all,
                I also have had the same problem with the engine warning light coming on a few times but after a while it would go off. Yesterday the Particulate filter light came on and then the warning light. Got to work with the warning light still on, rang MM and they couldn't look at it till next Tuesday but said it was ok to drive till then.
                Heading up to Cape York in three weeks so hope it gets sorted out. Only 4500 ks on the clock so, far so will be doing a slightly early 7500 ks service. Will try to get it up to 6000-6500 in the next fortnight or so.
                Regards from Big Col
                NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

Check engine light came on in mine as well last weekend and went out after 2 restarts.

No DPF light as yet - currently 6200kms on the odo.

DPF Burnoff whilst idling in City Traffic the other day saw plumes of smoke emmitted - enough for me to notice drifting by in a slight tail wind.

This system is certainly something MM has to address quickly. All those in favour of ripping it out and having a straight through exhaust or same set up as the manual say Ay!
                  NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

it will always "burn-off" from time to time, that is how they work in all dpf systems of the mm type.

I have never seen smoke however
                    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

Good point ,can you safely remove the DPF with out any problems?
                      2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Guys,

There is reportedly a NS Diesel GLX AUTO sitting in the Mitsu Dealership at Young (NSW) with a "SEIZED MOTOR" (DONE ONLY 600Kms...thats 600... not 6,000)!! I spoke to one of the guys that had driven it earlier and he said it drove fine.

Apparently it was being driven down the H/W and suddenly stopped on the road for no obvious reason. Don't know if any warning lights were on previously but obviously there is grounds for concern if you guys are having lights coming on and motors detonating and running on.

I would think that would have to be disastrous for a diesel with the high compression they are running.

I have also heard that some of the diesel motors in the Tritons are erratically getting noticably louder rattle then quietning down again for no reason. Mitsubishi is not saying if there is a problem but apparently they ARE saying that they don't know what the cause is (or perhaps they're just not saying). My guess is there's either a problem with the variable pump timing or valve timing.

Comment

It does say in the owners handbook that the engine will go through periods of 'self learning' to adjust whatever it is optimally. It says something to the effect that 'the engine may sound different during this time - and this is not a malfunction'.

I think every manufacturer has one or two catastrophic failures....you should read the Jeep and the Toyota forums.

No need for panic yet, as the CEL's being seen look like they are DPF related and I'm sure that'll be worked out soon.
                          NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
                            it will always "burn-off" from time to time, that is how they work in all dpf systems of the mm type.

I have never seen smoke however
                            definitely smoke....you wouldn't notice it if you were driving, its not a great amount, but enough for a pedestrian crossing the road behind your stationary NS to get a lung full. I noticed it because I was stopped in traffic and there was a tail wind causing it to drift forward.

Comment

Hi All
                              Just had the same thing happen to my Exceed - 5800km. Engine light on then DPF light on and off but engine light staying on. Guess it's off to MM like everyone else. Has there been any progress since last post from MM on this issue?
                              Yellowfin
                              NS SWB R DiD - B/stone D694's, BushSkinz plates, LRA aux tank(65L), custom Milford barrier, MM rear bar, Kingsley steps, Rhino HD bars & platfrom, Icom UHF, VMS 500 GPS ,Alpine X001 & Focals
                              Toyota LC200 TD V8
                              - MT ATZ's, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lighforce 170's, GME TX3340 UHF, Lovells Sus & GVM upgrade, Lone Ranger fuel & water tank, pump & tap, Kaymar wheel carrier, Milford barrier, ARB dual battery, custom fridge cage w BW slide, Rhino HD bars & platform

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X