Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel 'clang' offroad

Hi All,

Just returned from a 3000km round trip up North of WA in the NS GLX. I noticed on severely corrugated roads that at around 50-60km/h I would get a bell-like 'clang' coming from the steering wheel on the worst corrugations intermittently - sounded like a bell being tapped with a hammer - ie metal on metal.

I'm pretty sure it came from the wheel housing itself, as it sounded very close and with my hand on the rear part of the wheel housing I could feel the vibration that coincided with the noise.

It was definitely due to the vibration rather than rocks pinging off the underside of the vehicle or anything like that.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this?

As an aside, I found running the Cooper ATR's at around 28psi warm provided the best ride over corrugations at between 60-80km/h. Running them at 35psi made the ride a lot more harsh.

Besides the 'clang' in the wheel - the Paj performed flawlessly off-road. It was in its element in deep soft sand on the beach in 4Lo with 18psi in the tyres, successfully extracting a couple of other 4bys bogged down to the axles. The MATT traction control only served to keep it going. Stories about the traction control hindering progress in soft sand are just that - absolute fantasies.
    Last edited by Wilmo; 21-07-07, 12:16 AM.
    NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

I got the exact same thing on my trip through the centre.
    Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Its a bit disconcerting - do you have the standard suspension on yours? I'm thinking some longer springs and better shocks might take the edge off the bumps.

Ideally I'd like whatever is making the noise silenced! Will report it to the dealer and see what they can come up with.

If I knew how to take the steering wheel apart I'd have a look myself, but I'm a bit wary as the airbag is in there.

I notice there is some hex bolts in the side of the wheel - I imagine taking those out will allow the whole airbag assembly to be removed.

Anyone got an NS service manual?
      NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

Yeah I have the standard suspension. I don't worry too much about the clang as it only pops up when things are really severe.

I too am very interested in a NS service manual if one can be found!
        Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

I had the same on the cape trip with my NP. Has not happened since. I had a suspension lift and Bilsten shock and stilll heard the clang. Not a pleasant sound.
          Pajero Exceed 3.8l, BFG AT 275/70, Narva Ultima 175 spots, o2 Jamin with BT GPS, O'Briens camping trailer, 2" Lift with Bilsten Shocks.

Comment

Yeah, you never get it on-road- has to be VERY severe corrugations to hear it and even then at a particular frequency.

I guess one could just slow down a bit - maybe its an in-built corrugation overload warning!

Still I'll ask the dealer about it, I'd say Mitsubishi knows about it if we've all noticed it.

Comment

I have also heard this noise a number of times over corrugations in a GLX, It sounds to me like it is in the steering column compression joint, if they still have them, it allows the column to collapse under impact. I will also ask my service agent.

Comment

Has anyone got anymore info on this from any dealers? I've heard exactly the same thing a few times now on the dirt, only when I haven't been able to slow down quick enough before hitting a pothole. Be good to know if its serious and needs to be looked at. Cheers, Mike
                NS GLX Silver DiD manual, diff lock, A/T Bridgestone Dueler, Smartbar, 170mm Lightforce driving lights, Phillips 50+ H11, fogs, sidesteps, tow bar, roof racks, bonnet protector, dust deflector, cargo barrier, GME TX3440, Blueant Supertooth II, Fullriver 110a/h AGM in rear seatwell, 40L Engel, slide & rear compartment, camper-trailer.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me over Easter. Didn't think too much of it until I saw this post. Sounds more like a bell dinging than a clang and as others have mentioned, only happend on the most severe of corrugations. Sounded like it was coming from behind the instruments.

If anyone gets an explanation from MM make sure you post it here.
                  2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

If you get a lot of that it usually means your driving too slow.
                    Ive just come back from 8000km's of dirt roads and i usually keep my speed over 70kmh minimum othrewise the vibrations are ridiculous. Unless a road is very heavily corrugated keep the speed up. otherwise you need to slow to about 40 or 50 to stop it.

p.s. this is in my experience.

cheers adrian
                    NW Pajero VR-X
                    Currently stock

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X