Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drivers seat splitting (leather seat, vinyl sides)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers seat splitting (leather seat, vinyl sides)

Hi all.
    Leather seats in my 10/2008 25th anniversary NS which are vinyl on the sides.
    I noticed today the vinyl just above the electric seat controller has a small split where it creases each time I get in and out.
    Now I'm not particulalry heavy and the car has travelled only 80,000km.
    Has anyone else had the problem and was it covers by warranty? It seems too early to have this happen.
    Cheers
    Andrew.
    Previous drive: 2008 25th Anniversary, Auto, DiD, Mits Alloy Bull Bar, GME UHF, Lightforce DL's, Cooper HT Plus Tyres, TyreDog TPMS (Now in a Jeep GC CRD Laredo ORAII, Quadralift)

Mine split there at about 60k. I blamed the wife adjusting the seat with a key in her hand. I might owe her an apology.
    Warm White NS Exceed DiD Auto , factory diff lock ,Ultraguage, Jayco Outback Eagle.

Comment

FWIW, an excellent condition 06 (160K) Exceed I just bought, have the same tear. Aside from this, the only other damage to the upholstery was the passenger rear pocket where previous kids have been shoving in the oversized headsets.
      Pajero NS Exceed
      Done: HID & LED Driving Lights, Nudge Bar, Bushskinz Bash plates, Roof Rack, UHF, Awning, Bilstein & Lovells 50mm lift, 285/60/18 A/T Tyres, 160W Solar, 120Ah ARK Battery, Waeco CF-50

Comment

Mine went on the driver's seat just before it was out of warranty - about 100,000km. Local MM dealer was supposed to do it under warranty and then went broke - new seat cover he'd supposedly got for me couldn't be found and it's never been done.

The local upholstery blokes say they can't match the leather - they would need to buy a whole hide. The best they can offer me is to replace the stuffed panels with vinyl.

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Although mine is not leather, it has a hole in the same spot. Car had 65k and 4yrs old at time, mitsubishi knocked it back for warranty based on fair wear & tear.
          08 NS VRX DiD

Comment

cracked vinyl

Mine had the same crack. Local dealer fixed it under warranty.
            They sent it to a local upholsterer who replaced the vinyl section with heavy duty vinyl. They put extra padding over the metal bit that caused the tear. Colour match was almost perfect, you couldn't tell the difference unless you knew it had been replaced.
            2009 NT DiD Exceed, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lightforce Genesis HIDs, iCom IC-400pro, Milford Cargo Barrier, TJM Battery Tray & DBS, ARB Fridge,
            P3 Brake Controller, D697 LT265/60R18, Lovells HD 50mm lift, Bilsteins.

Comment

Seems to be a reasonably common problem.
              My NP had the same split when I bought it 2yr ago at 190,000klms.
              It annoyed me so I took it to my local trimmer and said "Al, fix it".
              He did, while I waited for about 20mins.
              He opened up the split a little and put a small vinyl offcut inside.
              Smeared some contact adhesive on it with a cotton bud and did the same to the inside of the torn areas.
              Went and made a coffee, came back and stuck all the little pieces back where they had come from originally.
              We finished our coffees while the contact took hold and I headed back to work.
              Time ?...20mins
              Cost ?....zilch

having seen it done, I'll do it myself if a similar thing happens again.
              It's barely noticeable unless you know where it is.

Good job Al...........
              2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
              2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

I too experienced the seat split issue. Returned the car MMA and they had a local guy repair the seat. Covered under warranty.
                2014 NW VRX DiD

Comment

Just as a matter of interest do any of you guys treat the leather with leather conditioner.. I do mine at least twice a year & all my seats back & front are soft & excellent condition NM Exceed 11 years old in Oct..

I wouldn't be happy if mine split even now..

Gus.
                  VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                  NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                    Just as a matter of interest do any of you guys treat the leather with leather conditioner.. I do mine at least twice a year & all my seats back & front are soft & excellent condition NM Exceed 11 years old in Oct..

I wouldn't be happy if mine split even now..

Gus.
                    No, maybe that is what I should have done. My back seats are as good as new but the front ones are pretty ordinary - usually only have people in the front seats. Looking back I wish I had put seat covers on them.

Geoff
                    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

I treat mine regularly with a cleaner/conditioner but it has split in a spot where you wouldn't imagine it would be subjected to wear and tear.
                      Warm White NS Exceed DiD Auto , factory diff lock ,Ultraguage, Jayco Outback Eagle.

Comment

Seriously, who needs leather seats in a four wheel drive?

Comment

They're so easy to keep clean & for me it was more the electric seats for my back.. Now I wouldn't hesitate to get again..

Gus.
                          VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                          NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                            They're so easy to keep clean & for me it was more the electric seats for my back.. Now I wouldn't hesitate to get again..

Gus.

The back I can understand mate.

I have had the genuine MM covers on my cloth seats since new. No problems.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                              Seriously, who needs leather seats in a four wheel drive?
                              Yeh, I have to agree. I would never had ordered a vehicle with them. When I bought the Exceed I was after a GLS but I wanted the traction control / anti-skid option and there wasn't a GLS in the country with that option at the time - I think there was a black one but I didn't want that. Anyway, the dealer offered me a deal on an Exceed (which had all those options) that I couldn't refuse, so I took him up on it. I had covers on my old GLS's seats and they were as good as new when I traded it in.

Geoff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X