Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the necessities for touring?

Hi all.
    About to plan a trip to Ayres rock with the wife. After putting it off for a few years its finally time to go. I have done tonnes of 4wding, but never any touring so this will be a first for me. I am planning to take my NS petrol shorty out there but would like some advice on the "necessities" that I would need. By this I mean vehicle wise, what mods would be beneficial and what spares would be beneficial.
    I guess any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    NS X Swb, V6, Black, rear locker, tint, 75mm lift......dust from lack of use

Are you camping or going in cabins or a bit upmarket ?

We just did the Flinders Ranges in a shortie NS Petrol, the main thing in any petrol 4WD is a healthy Credit Card for the fuel Bills You dont need long range tanks unless you are doing a remote route but remember to top up when you can to keep your options open, range is probably 450km but we filled up every 250kms or so.

If you are not camping theres plenty of room for 2, if you are, its still possible but i would consider renting a camper trailer or taking a trailer to keep the crap from piling up in the car. Also this gives you a safe spot for jerry cans & LPG cylinders. Then you can tackle anything the LWB diesels can, but at a higher cost of course . (still you will have more fun driving the actual 4wd bits, if you can leave the trailer at the camp, and of course around the city when you are not on holidays the swb is superb)

I hope I have been a help, your priorities may be different to mine, but like any machine its a trade off, no one vehicle does it all best.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
    1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

As for actual spares, if you are going to go to remote areas consider a roof rack tray, an extra spare wheel (these are huge and will take up alot of the roofrack) as 17in rubber may be still hard to get (understatement)

I took a pretty good toolkit in the rear door spots (i had to put it together - even my 1991 NH came with more tools) and recovery gear & jumper leads under the floor, and i took the rear headrests off , folded up the seats and had a bag of tools behind the driver. BUT i did not get a set of hoses or anything smart like that as its a new car & i just crossed my fingers. (nothing broke) Oh, and i had a battery starter as i am paranoid about auto cars & flat batteries.
      Cheers,
      Andrew

1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

re

I am planning to stay in accommodation throughout the trip. As much fun as camping is, my wife does not agree. My concerns were whether 450kms fuel tank range is acceptable, are there concerns for fuel quality and premium availability and would a newish NS paj in standard trim cope with the terrain, dust etc. I have planned to put a ARB bar on the front, spotlights, uhf, ome suspension and some AT's. However like anything in this world, I dont want to accessorise if there is no need to. I have done to all my other pajeros but their primary use was offroad.

Comment

I am planning to stay in accommodation throughout the trip.
          Excellent, there is plenty of room for 2 people
          As much fun as camping is, my wife does not agree.
          Its the other way round in my family
          My concerns were whether 450kms fuel tank range is acceptable, are there concerns for fuel quality and premium availability and would a newish NS paj in standard trim cope with the terrain, dust etc.
          There was premium fuel everywhere i went, but the car runs on regular anyway. I am not sure if remote stations have petrol as well as diesel, you cant do remote tracks like the strezleki coz theres a 400+ gap but you could do the birdsville, say, just look at a map. The dust seals are great until you open the doors of course. As for the terrain, the car handles it superbly. Excellent on dirt or true offroad, but a bit pitchy on lumpy bitumen at high speed, thats my only critisism.
          I have planned to put a ARB bar on the front, spotlights, uhf, ome suspension and some AT's. However like anything in this world, I dont want to accessorise if there is no need to. I have done to all my other pajeros but their primary use was offroad.
          I dont know, the bullbar is one more thing to replace if you hit something, but i guess it might keep you mobile if you hit a medium mammal. One night just north of Hawker, I was doing 120km/hr (bitumen) and saw some cattle right by the road, I hit the brakes & stopped really well - the disks are excellent_ as I passed them I could see they were standing by their mate who was lying by the side of the road 4 legs in the air twitching, a sad sight indeed even sadder if you hit one as no bullbar would help a car in that collision. , so i think better lights would help, as would slowing down at dusk or nighttime. As for the tires, they are great onroad but i am not confident on harsh rocky terrain. I have not decided if i will change them yet. Mine are new & i had no problems. Likewise, the standard suspension was ok on a new car, i will not rush into changing my shocks until i wear these a bit. UHF is a great idea if you travel with another car(s) Maybe VHF if you get really remote and get a cdma spare phone, GSM is useless.

Andrew
          Cheers,
          Andrew

Comment

Thank you heaps for the info. Much appreciated.

Comment

Ayers Rock - Just been there - I think it is highly overrated.

Driving the west mcd ranges and doing the Finke river george is good (and dod not cost $25/person etc to see)

Currently in Quilpie QLD just crossed the simpson - brilliant. Used 110L of diesel.
              --
              Marquis
              SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

fire extinguisher and first aid kit... these should be in your car at all times however..

rent/borrow an ELT or satphone in case of a real emergency.. a must if your going a bit more remote.

bright lights if going in the dark..
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X