Valvoline oil for Deisel Auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvoline oil for Deisel Auto?

Recieved an email today from Valvoline and this is the oil that they recommended for the Auto Diesel..Valvoline Synpower MST,SAE 5W/30 part no: 1186.20 . Below is some more info....Scott

Valvoline SynPower MST SAE 5W-30 035/03
    Valvoline SynPower MST SAE 5W-30 is a premium fully synthetic motor oil for MercedesBenz and other Euro
    IV diesel engines equipped with DPF technology (Diesel Particle Filter), and/or TWC (Three Way Catalyst). The
    product is suitable for CDI engines with EGR and DPF system, and long drain intervals up to 30.000 Km.
    SynPower MST SAE 5W-30 can be used in modern MercedesBenz and BMW gasoline and diesel engines and
    gives excellent protection even under extreme circumstances. Low SAP motor oil (low on ash, phosphorus, and
    sulphur). Euro IV engines and engine oils are focused on reducing all emissions and fuel consumption.
    The Valvoline SynPower MST motor oil advantages
    * Extended drain performance: Suitable for long drain intervals according to MB and BMW specifications.
    * Environment: Suitable for EURO IV engines with Diesel Particle Filters and TWC.
    * Fuel efficiency : Enhanced fuel efficiency vs reference oil.
    * Cold start properties: Product has a very low pourpoint, which results in an easy cold start.
    * Wear protection: Excellent wear protection enhances engine?s and DPF life time.
    Approvals/Performance levels SAE Viscosity Grade
    API SM/CF 5W-30
    ACEA A3/B4-04, C3-04 5W-30
    BMW LL-04 5W-30
    DaimlerChrysler 229.31, 229.51 5W-30
    (improved fuel economy, improved environmental compatibility over the 229.31).
    Typical Properties 5W-30
    Viscosity, mm2/s @ 100 ?C 11.6
    Viscosity, mm2/s @ 40 ?C 68.0
    Viscosity Index 166
    Viscosity, mPa.s ?30?C <6600
    TBN; mg KOH/g (D-4739) 7.0
    Pour Point, ?C (ASTM D 97) -42
    Specific Gravity @ 15/15?C 0.849
    Flash Point, PMCC, ?C 222
    Note: Valvoline SynPower MST SAE 5W-30 has been developed for modern engines which fall under the extended
    oil drain system prescriptions. C3 motor oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines, consult owner manual
    if in doubt
    2007 DID AUTO

capemanifold, I notice Valvolive say 'low on ash', apparently the Dia Queen oil (the one recommended by MM) has no ash, well that's what the service manager at the MM dealership says. Probably wise, for now, to stick with no ash oil as you don't want to contribute to DPF issues.
    The MM service manager also says Castrol have a no ash oil for the auto diesel, he is trying to get some confirmation from MMC if it can be used instead of the Dia Queen, mainly due to cost, obviously have had complaints re the price.

Comment

Thanks Silverfox , wait and see what happens with Castrol. Interesting to see Valvoline state that this oil is designed to be used in vehicles with particulate filters, ... in Euro diesels . I wonder why the Japanese JASO specs are different ?.
      2007 DID AUTO

Comment

does anyone have the mm oil "specs"

these are what need to be compared and not the marketing words on the oil label etc... lets get the spec
        SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

matthewfnorbert, agree with your comments. I attempted to find out today however the dealers don't know the right specs either, they themselves are waiting for a response from MMC. And they tell you to use other oil at your own risk
          Bit of a joke as the Dia Queen oil is their own product (from what I was told today) so why give out any info if you can get customers to buy your product at more that the price of gold

One particular dealer is trying to buy the oil at a discount from MMC. His message to them was that the price of the oil will drive customers away to
          1) either their own mechanic or
          2) the customer will do the service themselves.

His argument is that this potentially could lead to more warranty claims if the wrong oil is used.

In an earlier post today this particular dealer advised me the Dia Queen oil has no ash, another dealer I questioned today said that is incorrect an that the DQ oil has a low ash content, who do you believe

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox View Post
            I questioned today said that is incorrect an that the DQ oil has a low ash content, who do you believe
            i agree and that thought is what prompted me to ask for a spec..

i will not be surprised at all if the Valvoline SynPower MST SAE 5W-30 035/03 is the correct spec ...
            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

is the DQ oil a ACEA "C3" spec??? or similar... if so finding a match is easy
              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

matthewfnorbert, section 8-9 of the owners manual states:
                For diesel vehicles with auto transmission, use engine oil conforming to the following classification:
                - ACEA classification:
                "FOR SERVICE C1, C2 OR C3"

- JASO classification:
                "FOR SERVICE DL-1"

The DQ oil is DL-1 (see post in the forum titled NS Auto Diesel oil, there is a picture of the oil container), however the owners manual says you can use the ACEA C3 oil you refer to.

Comment

fox then the C3 spec valvoline posted by capemanifold should be fine as it is specified by mm
                  SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

Here is the oil recommended to me today from a guy at Mobil called MOBIL 1ESP 5W/30. Hetold me that people are already using this oil in there auto's.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 - Emission System Protection

Product Description

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is an advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has been expertly engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of Car Emission Reduction Systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 exceeds the requirements of many leading industry and car manufacturers' standards required for newer modern diesel and gasoline powered passenger car engines.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of leading edge components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's). Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has been designed to deliver outstanding performance and protection in conjunction with improved fuel economy. Key features and benefits include:

Features
                    Advantages and Potential Benefits
                    Low Ash Content Helps to reduce particulate build up in Diesel Particulate Filters
                    Low Sulphur and Phosphorous content Helps to reduce poisoning of Gasoline Catalytic Converters
                    Active cleaning agents Reduces deposits and sludge build-up to enable long and clean engine life
                    Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Reduces oil ageing allowing extended drain interval protection
                    Low oil consumption Less hydrocarbon pollution
                    Enhanced frictional properties Greater fuel economy
                    Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting and ultra fast protection
                    Extended engine and electrical system life

Applications

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern automobile engines, especially the high-performance gasoline and diesel engines found in the latest passenger cars, SUVs and light vans.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often cannot perform
                    It is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:

ACEA C2/C3, A3/B3/B4
                    ACEA (Meets Engine Test Requirements) A5/B5
                    API (Meets Engine Test Requirements) SL / SM
                    API CF

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:

BMW Longlife 04
                    Daimler Chrysler 229.31/229.51
                    Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel) 504.00 / 507.00

Also recommended for use in applications requiring

BMW Longlife 01 and 01 FE
                    Volkswagen (Gasoline) 502 00 / 503 00 / 503 01
                    Volkswagen (Diesel) 505 00 / 506 00
                    Volkswagen (Diesel "Unit-Injector/Pumpe-D?se" - exceptions pls see below) 505 01^ / 506 01^
                    ^ except "Unit-Injector/Pumpe-D?se" R5/V10-TDi (VW 506 01) and 3/4-cylinder Diesel engines without Longlife-Service/without Diesel-Particulate-Filter (VW 505 01)

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30

SAE Grade 5W-30
                    Viscosity, ASTM D 445
                    cSt @ 40?C 72.8
                    cSt @ 100?C 12.1
                    Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 164
                    Sulphated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.6
                    HTHS Viscosity, mPa?s @ 150?C, ASTM D4683 3.58
                    Pour Point, ?C, ASTM D 97 -45
                    Flash Point, ?C, ASTM D 92 254
                    Density @ 15?C, kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.850
                    2007 DID AUTO

Comment

excellent!

after all that do we know any prices

or who stocks the mobil or valvoline oil ?
                      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

capemanifold, when he said people are already using this in their autos was he referring to Pajero's?

Looks like the options are increasing as these conform to the standards as stated in the Mitsubishi owners manual.

Does any one know:
                        1) which oil has the better properties the Valvoline listed in the first post or the Mobil, truth is I have very little (OK NO) technical knowledge when comparing oils.
                        2) the price of each of these, hopefully they will be cheaper than the Dia Queen oil

Comment

Hi Silverfox ,I asked the bloke form Mobil that exact question and he said yes it was already being used in auto deisel pajeros.He also mentioned that he had recieved many similar enquiries in the recent past from ns auto owners.
                          I also talked to the head of the service department today in Rocky again ,and he said that it is near impossible to get the Mitsubishi Dia Queen DL-1. This oil has been on order from Mitsubishi for many weeks and there was only 8 litres of it left in stock.I also talked to him about the MOBIL oil as they are looking for an alternative seeing as the Mitsubishi blend is so hard to get hold of.The Mobil specs look to be pretty much spot on he said C2/C3,Low ash etc....sounds promising
                          2007 DID AUTO

Comment

the mobil and valvoline are almost identical in technical performance, would not matter which one you used.
                            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

I will make some inquiries tomorrow regarding the cost and availability of the Valvoline & Mobil oil.
                              Will post as soon as I have the info.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X