Infill G4 Car PC initial impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infill G4 Car PC initial impressions

Hi all. With the help of a very knowledgable mate, I installed the Infill G4 on Saturday. Unfortunately Mitsubishi do not supply the outer bezel that surrounds the double din unit so until I can get the part off Fujitsu Ten, I have a gap between the unit and the replacement dash piece.

Initial impressions:

- Boot up time is super quick, especially when booting warm.
    - Included software is CRAP. Navigation software is copilot and has had to be modified to fit the smaller screen - poorly I might add. It is not integrated into the rest of the control panel, so will not mute your music when giving a turn command. Additionally, the music playing software is a real horses ass to use, because you can access folders without going into a windows based open folder prompt (a pain when you are using a 6.5 inch touch screen).

The Centrafuse software leaves the Maxice software for dead on all counts. I have installed a demo of it on the system and it is very good, but unfortunately there isn't the neccessary drivers to operate the radio, so you have to revert to the included software. Fortunately I don't normally listen to the radio. According to the fluxmedia people, a driver isn't too far away...

- Sound quality is a little bit dissapointing out of the factory speakers (by my standards). It has less bass than the factory system, although it is more crisp at mid and high frequencies. Good thing those factory speakers won't be staying there.

Other than that I am having a lot of fun tinkering around with it. Oziexplorer runs really well, and it is nice having a 6.5 inch screen (as opposed to a 3.5 inch PDA screen) to view it.

The next job is to connect the wireless and bluetooth, install the microphone for hands free use and then integrate the steering wheels controls once the SWI-X arrives.
    Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Hi - what verion of Copilot do you have

I have it on pocket pc and is OK but does have some problems.

I can run Ozi and CP at the same time so use Ozi maps and directions form CP

Make sure they provided the version with Navteq maps (the latest build)

Rich

Comment

Can you post some pics?

Comment

Sounds impressive - some fine tuning and all should be well. Do you mind enlightening me as to how big a hole one of these things burns in ones pocket?

Comment

RRP at the moment is $3499 - about the same as the Eclipse AVN 6000 if you are considering that as an option. I got mine for a steal on a promotional deal for much much less..

I have now dynamated the two front doors, both outer and inner. Definitely makes a difference!! I will be doing the rears as soon as I get some time.
          Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

Schniff

I have been considering adding Dynamat to the doors as well. Curious what you mean by outer and inner??
            Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

The door has two skins, and outer one which is the panel and an inner one that sits against the plastic and houses the door handle, lock, and window mechanism.

Comment

Thought so. Do you consider any water that may enter the door would be a problem?
                Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

I put the plastic back on over the top of it all. In any event, there are already holes in the plastic to allow cables etc to run through, so its not exactly waterproof. I did a trip to the red centre a couple of months back and can say that there was no red dust in between the two door skins, so I'd assume that it is fairly well sealed from the exterior.

Comment

schniff, didnt you cover the open portions of the outer skin with dynamat? I covered the whole outer skin and also the door sidings, trust me the sidings will surely resonate if you play loud. bad for sq. oh yeah, you can use the left over pieces on the door siding pocket.
                    2007 NS 3.2 did auto and 1999 NL 2.8 , .

Comment

I covered the entire outer skin, or at least all the area I could reach. What do you mean about the door sidings? Also I had a look at taking off the cladding but couldn't really see a way to do it without damaging paint.

Comment

Dynamat question

Have you noticed a decrease in road noise since you dynamated the doors?

Keef

Comment

Not really, although bear in mind that Ive only done the front two doors. Most of the road noise comes from the rear. Eventually I will dynamat the whole thing.

Comment

schniff , door sidings hmmm, its the door cover itself, after deadening the doors I immediately noticed that the plastic panel resonates alot, especially near the woofers, so I used deadening mats behind the door sidings to completely eliminate noise. about the door cladding I just used the other end of the screwdriver to push the clips out from inside the door, while my friend pulled the cladding, you have to look under the doors so you can see the clips location.

keef, didnt notice much decrease in road noise, but whenever i close my doors theres less rattles, in my opinion if your not into car audio, theres no need to use dynamat, much of its benefits is to improve vehicle acoustics.
                            2007 NS 3.2 did auto and 1999 NL 2.8 , .

Comment

Originally posted by Schniff View Post
                              Hi all. With the help of a very knowledgable mate, I installed the Infill G4 on Saturday. Unfortunately Mitsubishi do not supply the outer bezel that surrounds the double din unit so until I can get the part off Fujitsu Ten, I have a gap between the unit and the replacement dash piece.

Initial impressions:

- Boot up time is super quick, especially when booting warm.
                              - Included software is CRAP. Navigation software is copilot and has had to be modified to fit the smaller screen - poorly I might add. It is not integrated into the rest of the control panel, so will not mute your music when giving a turn command. Additionally, the music playing software is a real horses ass to use, because you can access folders without going into a windows based open folder prompt (a pain when you are using a 6.5 inch touch screen).

The Centrafuse software leaves the Maxice software for dead on all counts. I have installed a demo of it on the system and it is very good, but unfortunately there isn't the neccessary drivers to operate the radio, so you have to revert to the included software. Fortunately I don't normally listen to the radio. According to the fluxmedia people, a driver isn't too far away...

- Sound quality is a little bit dissapointing out of the factory speakers (by my standards). It has less bass than the factory system, although it is more crisp at mid and high frequencies. Good thing those factory speakers won't be staying there.

Other than that I am having a lot of fun tinkering around with it. Oziexplorer runs really well, and it is nice having a 6.5 inch screen (as opposed to a 3.5 inch PDA screen) to view it.

The next job is to connect the wireless and bluetooth, install the microphone for hands free use and then integrate the steering wheels controls once the SWI-X arrives.
                              Schniff,

Any further developments on your install? any picts nad how did you go getting a blank/spacer for the gap between the MM replacement facia and the new unit?
                              NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X