Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Role of Butterfly Valve Plate when an NS Diesel does a DPF Burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Role of Butterfly Valve Plate when an NS Diesel does a DPF Burn?

Hi All. Can anyone tell me what role if any the butterfly valve plate (throttle butterfly) plays on an NS diesel when the DPF performs a burn. I have a full EGR block and have drilled a 12mm hole in the butterfly plate and removed the DPF with a 3 inch exhaust with standard cats, no codes. But obviously the NS still performs the kilometre triggered burn, or thinks it does anyway, every 400 - 500kms. I want to completly remove the butterfly plate altogether but just wondered if this may throw a code when the burn happens. As the NS is the only model with an active DPF not all Paj owners who have performed the EGR and exhaust mods will experience the same result as me. Any info would be appreciated.
    ARB Deluxe bar, 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 2 inch lift Old Man Emu Suspension, Poly Airs, Dual batteries, Cooper AT3's,UHF, Home made drawers, Engel 40ltr Fridge and slide, Bush skinz underbody protection, extended breathers, 3 inch exhaust, Windcheeter roof rack, Roof top tent, 81ltr Long Range Automotive tank.

Like you, my NS has a 3" exhaust, standard Cat, DPF delete and full EGR block.
    I have also removed the the throttle plate entirely and my NS doesn't throw codes in this configuration.
    It also tries a factory DPF burn every 300 to 400 Kms but it is no issue apart from raised EGT's and wasted diesel.
    Regards Andrew.
    2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

The ECU controls the burn at a preset km, or if the filter clogs prematurely the high low pass tubes and sensors will initiate the burn early.

The only way i know of to stop this every 400km is to give your car or ECU to Robert from Chip Tuning to re program your ECU.

http://www.chiptuning.com.au/diesel-...gn=topmenulink

Comment

I don't believe in this preset burn, I think it's a myth

From my findings it's actually calculated from the temperature sensors and Klm traveled
        As I have kept close notice of this over recent time and noticed that after I cleaned the cat the burns got further apart. About an extra 20 Klm each time

If there is a preset burn I believe it's actually every 600 Klm I reckon

Also I believe I read some where that the butterfly valves are actually for the creation of a swirl in air flow, similar to the cyclone theory and supposed to aid in combustion

If I can put my finger on where I read it I will post confirmation of it.
        NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

If you have a look here

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...2/index_M2.htm

It's under technical information

Comment

Swirl control are in the lower manifold

Comment

Thanks all for the input. I suppose though I am really trying to find out what the butterfly actually does, if anything, when the NS performs a DPF burn. Is it also part of the DPF burn process by assisting in raising the exhaust gas temps. Being an NS I have had fault code issues when I replaced the factory cats with the 3in exhaust due to not high enough exhaust gas temps and had to put the factory cats back in then go 3in from there back. I know that it assists in preventing run on when the engine is turned off and closes partially (or fully?) when cruising to allow the engine to suck air through the EGR valve which is why we have to drill a hole in it to perform the EGR block. I would like to fully remove it as whilst with the 12mm hole in it and the EGR block it is running beautiful I wonder if the 12mm hole actually allows 'enough' air through when it closes when cruising?
              ARB Deluxe bar, 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 2 inch lift Old Man Emu Suspension, Poly Airs, Dual batteries, Cooper AT3's,UHF, Home made drawers, Engel 40ltr Fridge and slide, Bush skinz underbody protection, extended breathers, 3 inch exhaust, Windcheeter roof rack, Roof top tent, 81ltr Long Range Automotive tank.

Comment

Find yourself a long downhill section of road where you can take your foot off the throttle and travel at highway speeds.
                If your NS doesn't throw a code here then enough air it getting through the throttle plate to prevent the inlet manifold creating a vacuum and then throwing the code.
                Regards Andrew.
                2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

Ha Ha don't know what I was reading

Comment

Originally posted by pasniny View Post
                    Swirl control are in the lower manifold
                    And I'm not sure if swirl control does anything or not. I understand the principal but the valves are also a fair restriction to air flow into the combustion chamber.
                    ???????
                    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Actually this is interesting

It may actually effect the dpf burn process

Performing rising temperature control having two steps, the engine-ECU increases the temperature up to the point at which the DPF regeneration can be carried out. At the first, the engine-ECU drives the variable geometry control solenoid valve and the throttle valve control servo and then performs the fuel injection with the optimum injection pattern, decreasing the intake air amount. This allows the high temperature exhaust gas to discharge as well as allows the catalyst in the front of the DPF to be heated to about 200°C, resulting in the catalyst activated, which is monitored by the No. 1 exhaust gas temperature sensor.
                      After the catalyst is activated, the engine-ECU performs the fuel injection called "post-injection" having more retarded timing than the usual timing. This allows the oxygen to react, in the catalyst, with the HC contained in the exhaust gas as well as allows the exhaust gas temperature to reach about 600°C at which the DPF regeneration can be carried out, which is monitored by the No. 2 exhaust gas temperature sensor (catalyst temperature).

Any thoughts?

Maybe the throttle plate shouldn't be removed?

Comment

It may cause a prolonged burn?

Comment

It's a pain for sure, If it does a prolonged burn for long enough it will throw a code. I wouldn't of even blocked the EGR except it has had both inlet manifolds replaced twice in 143,000km, last lot at 142,000km so I blocked it as it's out of warranty soon. As I live in the country all my driving is cruising at highway speeds so the EGR is probably open nearly all the time. I have noticed it seems to run cooler with the EGR blocked, about a needle thickness less on the temp gauge. Has anyone else noticed this?

Comment

I don't know how much effect it would have on the burns
                            But I know mine will go for at least 10 Klm where as before the burns where not as noticeable

Know that you mention the temps, my wife mentioned that it was running cooler

Comment

Be nice if all wives were as observant, only thing mine seems to notice on a car is when I spend money on it!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X