NS Timing Chain Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Timing Chain Tensioner

I had a bit of a rattle and got MM to look at during the 105k service last week. They have come saying it is the timing chain tensioner. Hopefully it will be replaced under warranty (just out by a month) but am wondering what else I should be getting done whilst the engine is apart. Would it be worth while getting a new chain? Is the tensioner different to the guides?? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

I think the tensioner is seperate to the guide, the guide position the chain, whilst the tensioner put some strain on the chain so it doesn't whip around.

Incidently which dealer are you using? I'm just thinking of going elsewhere from where have have previously. Sounds like the one you are using might be on the ball.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, roof racks otherwise stock as a rock.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
    Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

Comment

PM sent.
      08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

Hi Bill
        Is it easy to inspect and replace chain tensioner just by removing rocker cover (easy as for chain guide ) or is more disassembling of engine required ?
        Dragan

Comment

What's a new tensioner worth and how do you test it?
          Probably one of the easiest things the get at and replace on the PJ.
          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Goodsy, I picked up a tensioner from Agostino's in Adelaide for $90.00 incl gasket and fitted it the next morning in Robe on our way to Melbourne. Running sweet as now, rattle gone completely. The original was hard to push back in to reset and had a tight spot about half way. The guy i spoke to at Agostino's recommended changing them every 100,000 as a precaution and they are certainly not designed to last the life of the engine.

I have lost faith in my local dealer since they did not pick up the the cause of the rattle when they adjusted my tappets and replaced top guide.(Which was still fine but i told them to change it anyway, it seems the NM/NP old style top guide causes the most problems. NS onwards should be fine as mine was hardly worn after 150,000kms)

It seems the rattle was the tensioner all along and it had been driving me nuts for about twelve months.

Dragonlada, Its only a ten minute job to change as it is easy to get at on the passenger side of the head near the front. I found a 12mm ring spanner with a large offset head is best as there is no room to get a socket ratchet in there. There is no need to remove the rocker cover or anything. There is a thread on here somewhere with some pics of its location.
            2008 NS GLX Di-D Auto - Dick Cepek FC-II M/T's, Bilstein/Lovells/Coilrite Bags, Chipit Module/Delete Pipe, EGR Block, EGT/CHT Gauges, ARB Bar/Fog Lights, ARB Dual Batts + 120w Panel, Long Ranger Tank, Side & Rear Awnings, Airtec Snorkel, Bogaard Timer, 40L Engel, Icom IC-440N UHF, Spare Wheel Lift, 50w HID Hella Spots, Bushskinz Guards, Rear Storage/Integrated Fridge Slide, Drifta Kitchen, Prodigy P3 Brake Controller, Rhino H/Duty Bars/Alloy Tray/Storage Tube/Wheel Step & Shovel Holder.

Comment

Had my tensioner out 5k ago. Was smooth as and not tight but I did wonder if that little hook would hold the spring tension.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

chain tensioner

There is a simple way to test tensioner. If the unit can be pushed in up to half way quite easily then it a good chance the internal spring is weak. if you are doing the valve clearances it would be silly for the cost not to do the three things at the same time. As you need the tensioner to be released to replace top guide. You replace the guide when you remove the tensioner so there is no load on chain. When you fitt new tensioner make sure you replace the tensioner gasket with it and dont use sillicon as it can block the oil gallery for new tensioner causing it not to work. You release the locating hook with a screwdriver from the top. When you start the vehicle you will notice a difference straigh away but with more running you will realise a big change as you put more miles up. As i stated before the cost of app $120 it is a good safety service along with peace of mind. Bill

Comment

Great guys,
                  thanks for the info ...

I wish you all HAPPY NEW 2014 YEAR and all the best...

Dragan

Comment

I would suggest not using sealant on the tensioner as there is an oil journal you don't want getting blocked up

This was mine when I pulled it out, you can notice the hammering effect on the end
                    Last edited by Stoneman; 31-12-13, 11:48 AM.
                    NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

Hi,

The manual says to crank the engine in the clockwise direction to release the hook on the plunger.

When reinstalling the tensioner do you need to hand crank the engine to get it working or can you just start her up?!!

Might pick a new one up today and install before going away at the weekend.

Cheers,
                      James
                      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

Originally posted by Axis View Post
                        Hi,

The manual says to crank the engine in the clockwise direction to release the hook on the plunger.

When reinstalling the tensioner do you need to hand crank the engine to get it working or can you just start her up?!!

Might pick a new one up today and install before going away at the weekend.

Cheers,
                        James
                        It would probably have enough pressure to release it by cranking it by hand but I think they mean using the ignition

I like the screwdriver release idea and was what was done with mine

Comment

I think it's expected to release when you start the engine

Comment

Thanks Stoneman. I'll be replacing it without taking the rocker cover off so will crank her and cross my fingers.

Then I'll have done the valves, chain guide, SCV, EGR block and tensioner in the last 3 months. All learnt through this forum.
                            07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

Originally posted by Axis View Post
                              Thanks Stoneman. I'll be replacing it without taking the rocker cover off so will crank her and cross my fingers.

Then I'll have done the valves, chain guide, SCV, EGR block and tensioner in the last 3 months. All learnt through this forum.

I think your right. It should be done by hand
                              Last edited by Stoneman; 31-12-13, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X