Worth changing Timing Chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth changing Timing Chain?

Have been reading some threads where some have suffered a timing chain breaking.
    While it sounds to be a limited number of cases I am wondering if anyone has gone and changed their chain as a preventative measure? Doesn't really sound like you get any warning if it is going to happen.

I just rang my local dealer and asked for a quote on the upper chain guide, the tensioner and the chain itself. All up for these 3 parts was $326.70 + tax I imagine. i didnt get part numbers....just a total price. Not sure on labour cost at this stage....probably a whole lot more.

Would any other parts be worth changing at the same time?

I have an 08 NS with 175000k on it.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Ok so my post was somewhat premature. Have since seen more threads on this and my question is answered I think.

Will look at getting a quote from the mechanic.

Comment

Budget at least 1500 to change it
      Budget at least 7000 not to.
      2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
      GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

I can confirm, 2nd hand engine + fitting, approx $7K :-( I just ordered the new one this morning!

From what I read it appears the top tensioner seems to be the main issue, hence you could possibly get away with just changing that, which might not be as big a job.

My mechanic also called Mitsu this morning about chain and tensioners, for the whole lot they said about $500 thats chain, all tensioners, guides, etc and he reckons looks a bit of a bugger to install so prob around $500 labour.

The new engine going into mine has done 90km so not sure if I will do the chain on this one just yet.

Comment

As long as you have changed the Top Guide in the Last 50,000km and Your Pajero has got less than 300,000km, I wouldn't worry about it. Top Guide Failure is the Reason the Chain Fails, so Check the Guide every 50,000km and you don't have to worry anymore.
          NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

I'd be putting in a New Top Guide onto that new S/H motor now, then you don't have to change it again for another 50,000km. Guide is only $25 and Easy to Fit.
            NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbo View Post
              I'd be putting in a New Top Guide onto that new S/H motor now, then you don't have to change it again for another 50,000km. Guide is only $25 and Easy to Fit.
              Just told the mech to order and fit!

Comment

Appreciate the responses guys.

I spoke to my local diesel mechanic and as it turns out he services the local police pajeros. He says they get flogged and he doesn’t do anything but the usual servicing and doesn’t have any issues from them.

I will do the upper guide at the very least. Happy enough to get that done at the same time as the tappet adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by eebiwan View Post
                  I will do the upper guide at the very least. Happy enough to get that done at the same time as the tappet adjustment.
                  I did the same.
                  Chain was perfect, it is the worn guide that causes the failure (if any).
                  If done at the time of tappets its just an extra $30 odd for the piece of mind.

Comment

Bad news for a few of our fellow Pajero owners having their motor destroyed, really feel for you.

Does anyone have the part number for the chain guide?

Also is their only 1 chain guide or a few more, if more, are all changed or just the upper guide?

Cheers

Comment

Top timing chain guide p/n 1140A026
                      2004 NP exceed DI-D: Bilstein/Lovell 2"HD lift, Bushskinz guards & sliders,Tigerz 2x2.5 awning, Toyo Opat 2's, Safari snorkel, SR 3" exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by XXXceed View Post
                        Top timing chain guide p/n 1140A026

Thanks XXXceed

Comment

upper guide only, dunno part number, my mechanic just got it from the local MM dealer (they had it in stock & we are a rural area!).

Our guide 'looked' fine when changed at 170,000km however for $30ish was worth changing

Comment

may be of interest

It seems that Ns's are having the chain issues

I remember when my car was about 3 months old there was a rattling sound at the font of the motor especially when cold.

I took it to mitsu at the time and they replaced

the chain all tensioners and guide

the head was removed and reinstalled or replaced

all i remember is my motor came back a whole lot shinier than it went in.

Car was there for 2 weeks.

Comment

Sorry to hear bout your timing belt and tensioner problems . I will get that changed at the 90,000 km , Valve clearance service . Not sure what the life of these components is ?
                              Steve 08 NS VRX Pajero DID Auto . TJM Steel Bullbar Warn Winch 9000 ib Narva 175 Ultimate Driving lights 3 pairs Uniden IC440 , Haymen Reece towbar TJM Airtec Snorkel Tint ARB Old Man Emu 2 Inch lift springs and shocks . Coopers 265 / 60 / 18 ATR VMS 500 GPS . TPMS 40 Litre Engel Fridge Rhino roof bars and rack Dashmat TJM 175 lpm A/C Ironman Duel Battery Kit F&R ARB Diff locks Long Ranger 60 Litre Aux Tank Black Widow rear draws and water tank Chip it Chip& Delete pipe ARB Awning

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X